I heart log loads delivered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
I c/s/s my first 12 cords of firewood from the trees that were cut down for my new house. Problem was they got pushed a few times by equipment. So picture a 12 cord teepee of logs. Little did I realize how bad it sucked! Logs facing everywhere, mud on everything, constantly needing my chain sharpened, etc...

Well I had a utility company cutting down trees on one of my properties (mostly scrap wood) and they said what do you want me to do with the wood? Like I have a choice? Of course I asked would they deliver it to my house 10 miles away. He said sure! So I got a free log load delivered!

So I just finished cutting it all up. I can't believe how much easier it is than a 'pile'. It really makes me respect you guys who scrounge. Log loads have to be 1/3 to 1/2 the labor of scrounging.

I don't have it split yet, but do have the rounds stacked nicely. I am at 4 1/2 cords. Guy who delivered it said 5-6. I'm interested to see how many cords it really is after it is split and stacked. So thrilled to be 3-4 years ahead!

Can't beat a free load logs. And bucking a load of logs is a blast. However, I am usually back with a cord plus of bucked rounds in an hour or two with my scrounging setup and the rounds are dumped right next to the splitter.

I was just telling my dad a couple weeks back if I didn't have him to cut with me I'd be having log loads delivered due to all the work involved with felling/cutting/loading/hauling/unloading/stacking/splitting/stacking/moving/stacking etc...:lol:

I would agree, log loads save a lot of time and energy. It is nice to cut and split everything about 50' from my backdoor. This is 20 cord that will keep 2 houses warm next season. I'm halfway through processing it now and it is around 90% red oak with some ash, cherry, and white oak making up the remainder.

Attachments

• Wood West.jpg
    Wood West.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Wood East.jpg
    Wood East.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 382
shelbythedog said:
I would agree, log loads save a lot of time and energy. It is nice to cut and split everything about 50' from my backdoor. This is 20 cord that will keep 2 houses warm next season. I'm halfway through processing it now and it is around 90% red oak with some ash, cherry, and white oak making up the remainder.

Now that's a nice pile of wood!

SolarAndWood said:
Can't beat a free load logs. And bucking a load of logs is a blast. However, I am usually back with a cord plus of bucked rounds in an hour or two with my scrounging setup and the rounds are dumped right next to the splitter.

You must have one heck of a set up. It takes me about 2-3 hours to buck a cord from my log load. My saw could be faster (it's a small stihl) but it gets the job done.

Shelby, do you climb on top to buck the logs on top? My pile was 4-5' high and I'll tell you the height of your pile would make me uncomfortable.

shelbythedog said:

You sure that oak will be ready for next season? While I don't have the opportunity to burn much oak, everything I've read on hearth.com indicates it takes oak 2+ years to season after cutting/splitting/stacking. Of course, this comment is in relation to burning in an EPA wood stove, with wood having less that 20% moisture.

Congrats...log loads are always a good take.

Shari said:
shelbythedog said:

You sure that oak will be ready for next season? While I don't have the opportunity to burn much oak, everything I've read on hearth.com indicates it takes oak 2+ years to season after cutting/splitting/stacking. Of course, this comment is in relation to burning in an EPA wood stove, with wood having less that 20% moisture.

I agree Shari.

Shelbythedog, welcome to the forum. That is a lot of wood for just 2 homes!!!!! 10 cord for each house? What are you using for heat? Have you considered letting the wood season for a bit? Around here we won't even attempt to burn oak for 3 years after it has been cut and split. Good luck with this load.

sweet mama ! That's a great pile of logs. That would heat my place for 3 or more years! Nice.

What a great pile of logs! I'd love to get half of that delivered to me someday. Where did you get them from? A tree co.? Logging outfit?

Status
Not open for further replies.