I just had my GARN Delivered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

It has been a while since I introduced my project, but I have not been completely idle. We are within a coupe of weeks of bringing S/N 2722 on line. And I just wanted to give an update on progress for those interested in the GARN Install process.

I have a blog that I have been keeping updated that outlines our progress with some pictures and commentary. The web link is in my signature, but the link is here also for ease.

Basically, we have our shed up with the GARN inside 80% insulated, and the black steel 1 1/2" pipe is roughed on supply and return. The PEX is foamed and buried and fitted. My electric and control lines are roughed in both the shed and basement.

We still have to finish the shed plumbing, and crack the boiler in the house to install the 50 plate heat exchanger. We will then fill her up, and strike that match. Can't wait!

This is the eve of our 2 week rifle deer season here in PA, and my time will be occupied a bit until I happen across the BIG GUY. After that, I will focus on the final phases of my project so that before Christmas we are weened from the Saudi Oil, and on Oak and Ash!

Keep you posted, and good luck to all the deer hunters out there!

Nice set up. Like the blog. You did a nice job on the install. I doubt you'll see any drop in temp on your buried lines. I used Thermopex, only run about 50ft, just barely under the grade(ledge) and its worked well. No noticeable drop.I did put 4" of blue board, 2ft wide,over the top. Should keep the frost from penetrating. Your lines are a lot heavier in R-value than the Thermopex. With your house 80% radiant, the Garn will perform great.
-
We also just finished deer season. Not many shot, bad couple of winters have killed off a lot of deer. Hopefully less than average snow depth this winter to help them come back.

Who ever thought something so round and so squat could be soooooooo.. Well, could be so SEXY!!!!!!!

Ya, but what about the oil shiek Russ? Seriously, if your half as happy with your Garn as other members I'm sure you will be ecstatic with it, Randy

Excellent blog

Really useful, wel done.

flyingcow said:
Nice set up. Like the blog. You did a nice job on the install. I doubt you'll see any drop in temp on your buried lines. I used Thermopex, only run about 50ft, just barely under the grade(ledge) and its worked well. No noticeable drop.I did put 4" of blue board, 2ft wide,over the top. Should keep the frost from penetrating. Your lines are a lot heavier in R-value than the Thermopex. With your house 80% radiant, the Garn will perform great.
-
We also just finished deer season. Not many shot, bad couple of winters have killed off a lot of deer. Hopefully less than average snow depth this winter to help them come back.

FC,

Thanks! I looked at thermopex, microflex, MaxxR, and the cost was just so high per foot, I felt there had to be a more cost effective way. Like I said in the blog,I came in at $12/foot which is lower than the cheapest thermopex I found at $18/foot. I also think we do have a bit more R-value with the spray foam.

Sorry to hear about the deer up there, but the moose taste a lot better anyway. :lol:

btuser said:
Who ever thought something so round and so squat could be soooooooo.. Well, could be so SEXY!!!!!!!

BTU,

It does get ya a little worked up doesn't it. She is a thing of beauty! ;-)

Singed Eyebrows said:
Ya, but what about the oil shiek Russ? Seriously, if your half as happy with your Garn as other members I'm sure you will be ecstatic with it, Randy

Singed,

The Prince will be just fine, he won't miss me at all! I just can't wait to light that match the first time. The LACK of sound from my boiler in the basement will be music to my ears.

Looking good Russ! Keep plugging.

Thanks for the link, BTW. ;-)

Do you have a supply of seasoned wood set aside already? Your blog mentions that you have standing timber. I spent a good chunk of this past Spring and Summer gathering and processing fuel. I think I am over the hump for supply, since I have enough cut/split to get me pretty much through winter 2011 . . . I'm still finding more though. Gotta give it enough time to dry.

I've been burning mostly white pine and hemlock so far. Cold weather looks to be coming next week, so I'll be burning a bit more often. So far I have only been burning once ever 36-48 hours.

Keep the updates coming.

Jim K in PA said:
Looking good Russ! Keep plugging.

Thanks for the link, BTW. ;-)

Do you have a supply of seasoned wood set aside already? Your blog mentions that you have standing timber. I spent a good chunk of this past Spring and Summer gathering and processing fuel. I think I am over the hump for supply, since I have enough cut/split to get me pretty much through winter 2011 . . . I'm still finding more though. Gotta give it enough time to dry.

I've been burning mostly white pine and hemlock so far. Cold weather looks to be coming next week, so I'll be burning a bit more often. So far I have only been burning once ever 36-48 hours.

Keep the updates coming.

Hey Jim,

Thanks, hopefully the "pluggin" will get me fired up in a couple of weeks. As of now I feel like we are in the home stretch.

As far as wood goes, last winter I cut and stacked 12 cords. I split it down so it would dry better. My Oil btu conversion to oak btu at 80% efficiency estimates 10 cords for an entire year. I also had 3 cords of multi-year seasoned for my fireplace. This summer I picked up a load logs from a local logger that should yield 6 cord, but that will be for next year. I think we will be covered for the garn, though the majority of my fuel for this year has been seasoned only 1 year.

Deerhntr; I'm in the same boat as you,trying to get my Atmos installed. I have lots of dry wood and am listening to my gas boiler run. I can't wait to light off the wood boiler either. Good luck with the install Russ, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.