I just LOVE logging operations...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
weatherguy said:
Pat53 said:
bpirger said:
So these are all tops left by the logger? And you cut them into lengths and then carry them out by hand? I find dealing with tops very time consuming...makes me think I'm doing something stupidly wrong. Even with the winch, going around and taking off anything smaller than 1" typically, and winching out the entire top, seems like it takes me quite a long time per top, and not a whole lot of wood really. I find myself wanting to cut everything I see that's big, and winch out three or four big trunks...that's some good wood!

Maybe my 1" size is the problem...has you walking in all the branches and a real PITA and somewhat slow.

So just what are you doing? How long did it take to collect the pile in the picture? Seems like that must be many days of work....

Yes, these are mostly tops left, but they also just cut down a lot of small hardwoods and left the whole tree. I can get 2 or 3 9-10' sticks from those trees. Most of these tops have been at least partially run thru the harvester and only have a branch or 2 left on them.

It is a little cumbersome walking thru the tops, but most of them have been pretty well flattened by the harvester and the forwarders. Most of the tops are about 6-8" on the end, some smaller. I'm only taking them down to 3-4" on the small end, so some tops I get 2 sticks and some only one, but there are LOTS of them.

I only brought in one pick-up load today, had too many other things to do. Took me a little over an hour to collect the wood, bring it back to the house and unload it. It took me about 8 hours so far to collect the 6 cords. Once I get all the easy stuff around the edges, I'm going to need another way to get the rest, becuase I'm not hauling them more than 50' away from the truck, thats too slow and too much work. they really aren't that heavy, but after 2 loads in one day I've had enough and need a cold suds and a shower.

Pat

Good excuse to buy yourself a new toy

Yeah, I was looking at something called an Anderson M90 log loader last night. That thing is cool. All you need is something to pull it with. Has the engine mounted right with it and will pick up a 700 lb log. I want to harvest a bunch of red pine sawlogs and some big aspen next year off my property to maybe sell, and I don't want to have to pay someone to deck it up. They want about 15K for that Anderson M90, but the "warden" would go ballistic if I bought it. Now if a guy could find work for it and make it pay for itself over time it might not be a bad investment.....hmmm, might have to think about that for a while .. LOL

Pat

flyingcow said:
Can't believe they didn't bring in a grinder or whole tree chipper for the tops. Gets turned into biomass up here. Good luck with the "scrounge".

Some loggers do that, but not that many around here. This was a State job and the logging company has a big operation not far from here. I'm sure they got the bid cheap, thats probably why they left so much good wood. They were the same company I bought a full truckload of red oak from 2 years ago.

They had to be done by December 1st or wait till next April to complete it. The state forester said it was for scarification purposes. It took them 17 days to cut, deck up, and haul it all away. Total acreage cut was about 140 acres, but 1/2 was the pine thinning. they had 5 harvesters and 4 forwarders going every day except Sundays. To me, it looks like one of those "wham bamm thank you maam" jobs. I'm thankful too ! ;)

Pat

An ATV would drag the logs, 2 or 3 at a time to the truck, then cut to size.
I started using mine for a cutting area & found it to be soooo much easier on the back.
Plan on making a sled or something to keep the front of the log from digging in, but lots easier.
Might sell that to the accountant easier :) With something like this:

Attachments

• Log skid.jpg
    Log skid.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 286
  • loghandling.jpg
    loghandling.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC02092.jpg
    DSC02092.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 357
Pat53 said:
Yes, these are mostly tops left, but they also just cut down a lot of small hardwoods and left the whole tree. I can get 2 or 3 9-10' sticks from those trees. Most of these tops have been at least partially run thru the harvester and only have a branch or 2 left on them.

It is a little cumbersome walking thru the tops, but most of them have been pretty well flattened by the harvester and the forwarders. Most of the tops are about 6-8" on the end, some smaller. I'm only taking them down to 3-4" on the small end, so some tops I get 2 sticks and some only one, but there are LOTS of them.

I only brought in one pick-up load today, had too many other things to do. Took me a little over an hour to collect the wood, bring it back to the house and unload it. It took me about 8 hours so far to collect the 6 cords. Once I get all the easy stuff around the edges, I'm going to need another way to get the rest, becuase I'm not hauling them more than 50' away from the truck, thats too slow and too much work. they really aren't that heavy, but after 2 loads in one day I've had enough and need a cold suds and a shower.

Pat

Yeah, I was looking at something called an Anderson M90 log loader last night. That thing is cool. All you need is something to pull it with. Has the engine mounted right with it and will pick up a 700 lb log. I want to harvest a bunch of red pine sawlogs and some big aspen next year off my property to maybe sell, and I don't want to have to pay someone to deck it up. They want about 15K for that Anderson M90, but the "warden" would go ballistic if I bought it. Now if a guy could find work for it and make it pay for itself over time it might not be a bad investment.....hmmm, might have to think about that for a while .. LOL

Pat[/quote]

Using only stuff that I had laying around (except the new bolts) this is what I threw together and it works really nice. Does not pull hard at all. In fact, I pulled bigger loads than pictured and didn't even have to use 4 wheel drive.

Dray-1.jpg

Haulinglogs4.jpg

Haulinglogs3.jpg

Nice pictures, did you use a cant hook to get those logs on, or did you have something mechanical hidden out of sight ;-)

bogydave said:
An ATV would drag the logs, 2 or 3 at a time to the truck, then cut to size.
I started using mine for a cutting area & found it to be soooo much easier on the back.
Plan on making a sled or something to keep the front of the log from digging in, but lots easier.
Might sell that to the accountant easier :) With something like this:

I actually have a nice log arch that I (me and a good welder) built last year. Never even used it...yet. If I modified it a bit it might work good for hauling out those sticks of wood. Something like this ....

Bolt on a crossbar between the wheels, add another, with side supports , in front, and cut off the 2 (green) guide bars. I could just lay the sticks inside the supports. Could probably haul out a couple dozen at a time.

Pat

Attachments

• d-3hm 007.jpg
    d-3hm 007.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 233
Backwoods Savage said:
Pat53 said:

Pat

Pat

Using only stuff that I had laying around (except the new bolts) this is what I threw together and it works really nice. Does not pull hard at all. In fact, I pulled bigger loads than pictured and didn't even have to use 4 wheel drive.

Dray-1.jpg

Haulinglogs4.jpg

Haulinglogs3.jpg
[/quote]

Nice, but that would not work in the cutting, too much brush and stumps in the way.

Pat

Dennis, you have some nice toys too. Sometimes I think we burn wood so we can play with out toys :lol:

Maybe the sled type would work on brushy, stumpy areas.

Attachments

• Log_Sled_in_tow-327x237.jpg
    Log_Sled_in_tow-327x237.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 892
Very nice score of wood.

Done with the logging scrounge for this year. Figure about 8 cords, enough for 1 years burning. LOTS more wood available, but I've got all the "gravy" stuff picked up so far. The rest will require an ATV or something to haul out. About 80% maple, 20% red oak and a little cherry and white birch. Not bad for about 12 hours work and a few gallons of gas ....LOL

Attachments

• ryo 012.jpg
    ryo 012.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.