I just might consider this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I saw this listing while I was looking for a log splitter.

I was borrowing a friends and he needed it back(indefinitly).
I"ll tell ya this much it ain't easy splitting 24" long rounds by hand.

Man do I miss that splitter. It was sweet. It was a Timberwollf TW5 with a log lifter.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/2919490857.html

Firewood splitting service (Your house long island)

Date: 2012-04-19, 7:09PM EDTReply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

You have logs I have log splitters! We are a full service mobile firewood splitting crew. We will come to your house and turn those logs into firewood for this up coming winter. Get them split now for guaranteed seasoned wood in the fall. Why spend a day splitting that wood when i would Take us only a few hours. Don't let your guard down with the warm weather we had this past winter remember last winter? We can get about a cord an hour split and stacked if needed. my rates are 70 per hour and it will run you about 80 per cord Call Eric at 6318330012 or click the link to send me an email.
Log splitter, Logsplitter , logsplitters , firewood ,

So I just might consider this.

I have seen that same machine in action at a county fair in NH a couple years ago. It's on my "dream" list of toys to have some day. Kinda pricey but well worth it.

If you get your wood cheap or free and have a lot to split that would be well worth it.

If you get your wood cheap or free and have a lot to split that would be well worth it.
I get all my wood for free:).(so far) knock on wood. No pun intended!

I spoke to the guy. He comes with a hydraulic splitter (he said something from Lowes)and a Super Splitter.
I was interested in the Super Splitter.
I would pay him to split a few cords just to see if the Super Splitter is really all that is cracked up to be.

If one's ultimate goal is to check out the super splitter as a preview to buying one, I'd say I'd rather watch youtube video's and/or ask if you could come watch him somewhere, someday run the thing first and put the money towards the splitter you are buying.

In my area at least, 80 per cord is 1/2 way to buying the cord and having it delivered to your house split already. If you do choose to have him come and split just a few cord, I'd ask for a quote over the phone for what it would be to come to your house and split X cord that you can measure and be done. Would hate to see him tack on a rate for transportation for doing a small load that you aren't expecting and have it be more money than you thought for a simple preview.

pen

My ultimate goal is to get the Timberwolf TW5 back from my friend ;) That thing is a beast.
But since that may not happen in the near future this may be the next best thing.

I did speak to him and he said " He charges $70 per hour and will split everything I give him, from as little as one cord . He would prefer a few cord but will come for only one cord as well, but would try to schedule it when he has some jobs in the area.

lol, yea, borrowing a freebe is as good as it gets.

Even still, I'm the type that doesn't like to pay for work by the hour by someone I don't know very well. I'd rather pay them X dollars for X cords split and have that settled before they ever start up a machine. If I didn't do that, I'm sure I'd get them on that off day after a bender where they are only getting through 1/2 or 2/3 a cord per hour because one guy didn't show up and the others have a headache that the splitter screaming away isn't helping.

pen

Theres been a guy advertising in my area that hell come cut and split a cord for you for $75, I asked him waht he has for a splitter and he said he uses a maul, that dude earns his money. Hes been out of work and at least hes out there trying to make money.

Theres been a guy advertising in my area that hell come cut and split a cord for you for $75, I asked him waht he has for a splitter and he said he uses a maul, that dude earns his money. Hes been out of work and at least hes out there trying to make money.

I feel bad for guys like that, got to give him kudos for making a hard effort to make an honest buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.