I Just Noticed In My Englander Manual Says On a Cold Start It Should Be Set at 5 Until Blower Comes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
I just happened to notice this today. I've been cold starting it on 1 feed rate and 2 blower. Everything seems to be working ok. I am just wondering why, will that make more creosote starting it on lower settings?

I seriously doubt it. Wood pellets have far less moisture
than cord wood. Moisture in the wood is what creates
creosote when it burns - I'm sure you know that.
The majority of the moisture is removed from pellets
when they're manufactured.

Anyway, creosote is black, sticky, and flammable afaik. Never had
a drop of it form in my stove or pipe over 3 years
and 10+ tons later. Powdery ash is all I've ever cleaned out.

I have the same stove. It doesn't seem to matter either way. I usually run my stove on 5 till the house warms up then cut it down.Creosote is a problem developed with wood stoves due to the varying degrees of moisture in cut wood not seasoned or dried we burn pellets which are dried and compressed wood any creosote that forms is minimal. Enjoy the stove . I love mine.

sydney1963 said:
I just happened to notice this today. I've been cold starting it on 1 feed rate and 2 blower. Everything seems to be working ok. I am just wondering why, will that make more creosote starting it on lower settings?

I read the same thing, they only explantation I could come up with was....Putting it on 5 would cause it to heat up faster and kick the blower on sooner, thus getting to the desired result more quickly.

From what I understand about wood stoves, they get them hot quick to encourage the draft and that isn't a problem for us because of the exhaust blower.

But don't take any of that as reality, that was just my guess while reading the manual.

Thanks all.

sydney1963 said:

You know, now I remember reading that when I first got my stove. Been a long time since I've done it. I'll have to try it and check the time till the blower comes on when heat range is at 5 versus 1 or 2. It usually only gets that cold once a week tho.

I thought I read the start settings defaulted to factory 5/5 no matter what settings you use till the blower kicked in.

pelletizer said:
I thought I read the start settings defaulted to factory 5/5 no matter what settings you use till the blower kicked in.

That's similar to how my Astoria starts....it doesn't matter what heat setting I select, it doesn't use that until the blower comes on.....I kinda thought all pellet stoves worked like that, but maybe not ?

When you push the on button you can adjust to whatever setting you want. Im not going to worry about it unless someone else has a good reason to set it to 5/5.

CDodge04 said:
pelletizer said:

Hmm thats what I thought as well.

I have a 2003 Englander and it starts at whatever setting it was left on when it was turned off. But I bought it used so maybe it is broken, but I don't think so. I would think if it defaulted to that they wouldn't make a point of telling you to have it set at 5/5 in the manual.

Well anyone who watches this stove should realize from common sense that when it starts it fires up pretty good lol. Then after the blower starts it reverts to the settings you set it at I just leave it at 5 untill my house warms up. I love this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.