I just scored a new saw....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did buy the chain that no depth guages or rakers?

I certainly hope there are depth gauges/rakers (same thing) on that chain. If you bought a yellow-label chain for that MS261 then it should have the rakers but no raised tie-straps or humped drive links. And definitely no folded over rakers.

You should only have to pull the muffler and look through the exhaust port to check the piston on that saw. That and a compression test will tell you all you need to know. Especially on a saw that new.

My misunderstanding of the difference from aggressive to low kick back. I listened to my uncle and he don't know all like he thinks! He says he forgot more than I know. I think he forgot the important parts. lol

I really got to use the saw today cutting what my unc thought was cherry but was in fact oak. That thing is impressive and strangely fuel efficient. I probably cut steady for 2.5-3 hrs on one tank but filled the bar oil twice. It is the fuel stratified engine and it must work! It rips!

That seems a little off for the fuel to oil ratio at least in my experience on my 261. I have my oil turned to the max setting and I use about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of gas.

I didnt clearify..The stupid flippy cap for the oiler is like rubiks cube. I do'nt fill it because I was thinking too much oil makes too much pressure and really difficult to get it on plus all the spileage. I don't know! For the gas no problem, for the oil it just plain sucks. Not broken or anything..So I probably had it half full...

You should be able to get the oil cap in without frustration if you stop filling 1/2" or so before you get to the top.

Just so you don't feel stupid, I have rebuilt saws from the ground up and the flippy caps on my 260 drive me crazy......to the point I don't even use the saw. I think there may be a casting flaw in the tank itself that does not allow the cap to seat properly. Also, the caps have been replaced with the newer "ethanol" friendly caps..... still absolute junk. While it's under warranty, take it back and make the dealer make it right.

I may do that..My uncle and I always bicker about who is right. Yesterday is was funny as hell with two fools fighting about putting on an oil cap!

I wonder if a dealer will honor a warranty in this case?

Just realized/remembered you bought it used.....I'm not sure on stihl's policy for warranty transfer. Maybe tell them you're using the overpriced Ultra oil and it's the least they could do for you.

I believe stihl may offer their warranty for one year from date of purchase even if the saw is used as long as not commercially

4. Persons Covered By This Warranty
A. The original purchaser (other than for purposes of resale) and:
B. Persons to whom ownership of the product is transferred during the term of the applicable warranty period but only for the balance of the warranty period then remaining as described in paragraphs 2A, 2B or 2C. Double warranty coverage and lifetime warranty coverage as described in paragraphs 2D, 2E, 2F and 2G is to the original purchaser only. The persons identified in 4A and 4B are referred to as the "Consumer".

Status
Not open for further replies.