I just THOUGHT I knew how to burn my TL300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A boundary layer often forms near the pipe wall that can be many hundreds of degrees cooler than the main exhaust flow temp. I did some testing on my insert with flex pipe several years ago using my VOM w/K type thermocouple attached. It confirmed that temps near the the wall are much cooler than toward the center of the pipe. I even inserted the thermocouple at an angle to prevent air being drawn into the probe hole from influencing the results.

Here's a paper about laminar and turbulent flow in pipes, which might answer additional questions or simply put one to sleep:
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/mat...rvisningsmateriale/modul-5/Pipeflow_intro.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.