I Killed my Cat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4-8-4 Northern

Oct 20, 2006
New Hampshire
Well, maybe.

Because I didn't RTM (read the manual), I cleaned my cat by using an air compressor with a high pressure nozzle. Now I find out that that's a no-no. Here's the quote from the Woodstock website:

"It is not a good idea to clean your combustor with an air compressor unless you can ensure very low pressure. Using high pressure air to blow the cell free of fly ash build up can also blow off the precious metal coating inside the cells."

What do you guys/gals think? Have I damaged the cat beyond repair. It still glows after it ignites. I can see it through the glass. Stove still gets up to 500 degrees outside/1000 degrees inside. Any other way to tell if it's been damaged?

If it still glows and your stove temps are up there, I think your ok. Give Woodstock a call.

Well, the smoke coming out of the chimney appears pretty clean, and the temp is up to 500 stovetop/1000 inside right now, so hopefully I didn't ruin the cat. I'll call Woodstock tomorrow (Monday) to see what they say.

Follow-up. Called Woodstock today and described what I did and how the stove is still getting up to temp, clean smoke, etc. They said that everything should be okay. No damage to the cat. Anyway, live and learn. From now on, I clean the cat with a soft brush and canned air.

proper cleaning of a catalytic combustor can vary with how badly it is in need. if the catalyst is in good condition and has not been abused a soft bristled brush and low pressure air (like canned air for computers) will do the trick. in the event the catalyst has plugged up with creosote or due to improper use , cold diverting and such and has harder buildup , soak the catalyst in a 50-50 solution of hot water and white vinegar, do not boil it!!, soaking with this solution will break up the hard buildup , periodically lift it to allow the solution to rinse through the catalyst cells to help clear it, after the catalyst has cleared allow the cat to air dry on a mat of paper towels for at least 24 hours before placing back into use. during the drying time is a good time to check for cracks or other degredation which would possibly be hidden by the buildup , if through and through cracks are present throughout the cat then it would likely be in need of replacement. mike esw

Status
Not open for further replies.