I kinda like it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Poplar that is. It splits easy, dries easy, and knocks the chill out of the house on a damp cool October day. That's all shoulder wood has to do and that's all I care if it does. I split some of this up this past spring and now I am using it. When the honey says can we knock the chill out of the house, this wood does the trick. I'll cut some more up for next year. I kinda like it.

poplar burns hot, but it also burns fast and seems to put out a lot more ash than other woods. I have no problem burning poplar, but I don't like to store, say, a cord of poplar when I can use that valuable space for a cord of locust or ash or something....Poplar has it's place, but I need my space and I gots plenty of wood, so I mill the poplar logs and sell the bucked up tops to a guy with an OWB up the road. It's a win-win situation for me..

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Poplar that is. It splits easy, dries easy, and knocks the chill out of the house on a damp cool October day. That's all shoulder wood has to do and that's all I care if it does. I split some of this up this past spring and now I am using it. When the honey says can we knock the chill out of the house, this wood does the trick. I'll cut some more up for next year. I kinda like it.
Yep, I keep big tooth Aspen for exactly the same reason .

I'm using Red Maple and Cherry right now for the short or low burns. There is some dead Tulip here, so I think I'll get a bit this Winter to try next year to see how it burns and if the amount of ash is a problem. I have to shovel the ashes out and I try to avoid that. If I had an ash pan, it wouldn't be much of a concern. If there's a lot of ash, I'll split it small and use it for starter wood.

Yea poplar has its place , i use it for kindling and good for shoulder season too. I like to mix it with pine to get a quick fire going.

Yea poplar has its place , i use it for kindling and good for shoulder season too. I like to mix it with pine to get a quick fire going.

Yes these are good uses for poplar, and this is the time of year that it's good for. If you have the space for it then it's good. If you have limited space, I wouldn't keep much around when that space could be used for oak, ash, or locust.

Reactions: ScotO
We've burned popple off and on over the years but we also keep in mind that it takes no longer to cut up and split good hard wood vs. marginal wood and you get more in return. But, sometimes they get in your way so you cut them anyway...

Reactions: AJS56 and ScotO
We've burned popple off and on over the years but we also keep in mind that it takes no longer to cut up and split good hard wood vs. marginal wood and you get more in return. But, sometimes they get in your way so you cut them anyway...

+1 I believe in maximum BTU per man (me) hour of processing. I can put a couple small pieces of Black Locust in the stove if I want a small fire.

Good shoulder season wood.
Save the high BTU stuff for the cold spells. ;)

as everyone says, it has its place. If I have a dead one I want out of the woods, I will process it and use it when the time calls for it.

Reactions: AJS56
+1 I believe in maximum BTU per man (me) hour of processing. I can put a couple small pieces of Black Locust in the stove if I want a small fire.

i agree with you and backwoods -

and

i began burning pine this year, NOT because i sought it out as shoulder season wood, but because there is a massive amount of it in my yard from blowdowns and treework. so i might as well burn it. when its all gone i'll be burning 100% hardwoods again.

This is a great topic. I have a ton of poplar or as the old loggers here call it popple. I haven't cut any of it for firewood. I also have a bunch of hemlock that I also haven't burned. I'd rather spend my time on the higher btu wood. I get quite a bit of kiln dried dimensional lumber that I use for the shoulder season. I am cutting up some hemlock for the future. It will be interesting to see how that burns......I should try some popple. I do think I will leave the Basswood alone!

i agree with you and backwoods -

and

i began burning pine this year, NOT because i sought it out as shoulder season wood, but because there is a massive amount of it in my yard from blowdowns and treework. so i might as well burn it. when its all gone i'll be burning 100% hardwoods again.

I didn't seek the poplar out either but had some available to try. I will not cut any live trees in my woods. I will manage all the dead available BTU's

poplar makes up 1/3 to 1/2 of my yearly burning supply....due to the fact we have 3 choices for wood, poplar, maple and oak.

I'm like One Tracker and Dennis . . . I don't actively seek out poplar (or pine or other softwoods or less desirable wood species) since I would rather spend my time and energy working on better BTU wood, but I am not averse to burning it either and will cut one down if it's in my way or starting to die off.

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to burn every wood species under Heaven.

A time to burn popple, a time to burn maples
A time to split, a time to cut
A time to stack, a time to travel to Naples
A time to work, a time to play with the mutt.

And a time to burn every wood species, under Heaven

A time to burn pine, a time with friends and family dine.
A time to burn apple, a time to rest and down a Snapple
A time to split up and down, a time to wear your wife's best shoes and Jr. Prom gown.

A time to fell some oaks, a time to hang out with your blokes.
A time to burn some ash, a time to take care of that poison ivy rash.
A time to burn black locust, a time on the family to focus.

A time for a shoulder season burn of fir, a time to pet the cat and listen to her purr.
A time for beech, a time to eat one of Backwoods' peaches.
A time for birch, a time to fish for perch.
A time for spruce, I swear Bfunk's dog is part moose.

Reactions: Nixon and Dairyman
We have it in our inventory of wood, mother nature puts it on the ground I'll grab it. If we were lacking for stacking space then it would be a different story.
We still have plenty of Hemlock down that we will use in the coming years, saves the better wood for the colder months.

GIBIR

This is what i always say so its hard for me to get anything besides oak. But due to the slow drying i have started to vary my species, including gatheritng pine. Really seems like a waste of time for me to cut pine, maple, elm and so on when i can get a good dense hardwood but here on the beggenning of me owning a stove and trying to get ahead i am trying to vary it up. Burning what oak i know its 30% or under MC and trying to supplement with other species that i have cut in the last year to try and get through this winter where then i will be burning wood thats at least 1 year old trying to get to 2 yr old wood!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I
I agree with you TJ, it does what it does and it is fine for shoulder season, short burns. Very lgth and easy to handle, though it seems to me not to store well for long before it gets punky. I don't have a lot of poplar on my property now, but I do burn it when it's down or easily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.