I know another tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornelis

Feb 6, 2013
Naugatuck,CT
hey guys was hoping you can tell me what kind of wood I have here.

Attachments

• P1010083.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 118
COTTONWOOD! Not worth the work IMO. Stinks like chit when burning, burns super fast and lots of ash......
Run, don't walk, away!

Reactions: NortheastAl
Thanks.. See if I can bring it to the dump
If you need some shoulder season wood, and don't mind some stinky smoke outside, it would be OK for that. But generally cottonwood isn't very good stuff. Kinda like willow. Heavy when you cut it, dries out and ends up like balsam wood, very light and burns very fast....

If you need some shoulder season wood, and don't mind some stinky smoke outside, it would be OK for that. But generally cottonwood isn't very good stuff. Kinda like willow. Heavy when you cut it, dries out and ends up like balsam wood, very light and burns very fast....

I don't wand my neighbors to complain..

Reactions: ScotO
I don't wand my neighbors to complain..
Sorry to burst your bubble, too bad it wasn't oak or something. Did you cut it yourself or find it on a scrounge? How much did you end up with?

This is probably the only thing where Scott and I disagree. It will definitely stink when you are cutting it but after it dries, it won't. And I've never got bad odors from burning it.

Many folks have only cottonwood to burn and they get along fine. The only problem with burning it is that it will not give you long fires but it does burn hot. This can make it excellent for spring and fall burning or even daytime burning during the winter.

That said, no, I do not burn it but simply because I have so much other wood to burn that it is not needed. One also has to think that it takes about the same amount of time to put up good wood as it does for less than the best. Or, it takes very little more time to put up oak as it does cottonwood but the end result is huge between the two. So if you have it already cut, burn it. If not, turn it down.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Stack it at the end of your lane with the "free wood" sign.

Reactions: ScotO
I'd burn it, you already cut it!

Sometimes some oaks have a similar bark, but I'm not seeing the medullary rays.

Thanks.. See if I can bring it to the dump
I say finish splitting it. Dont throw away your efforts. When you want a fire you wont be wasting your winters stash. Its very good wood for taking a morning chill out of the air. Its easily a 1 year drying wood.
If you cut it yourself do you still have leaves? Can you post some leaves? I think it looks like Aspen. A large aspen. I have some Eastern cottonwoods that are in a younger stage and the bark looks a little different. Rougher.

My own opinion . . . all wood is good . . . as long as you use it at the right time and in the right way.

Burn your softwood and "soft" hardwoods in the fall and spring when you just need a quick fire to warm up the stove and heat up the place, but don't need a lot of coals or need a long lasting fire. Keep the good stuff for later in the winter.

I say finish splitting it. Dont throw away your efforts. When you want a fire you wont be wasting your winters stash. Its very good wood for taking a morning chill out of the air. Its easily a 1 year drying wood.
If you cut it yourself do you still have leaves? Can you post some leaves? I think it looks like Aspen. A large aspen. I have some Eastern cottonwoods that are in a younger stage and the bark looks a little different. Rougher.

No leaves came down last year and cut it up this week. I will split and stack for next year should be good.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
My own opinion . . . all wood is good . . . as long as you use it at the right time and in the right way.

Burn your softwood and "soft" hardwoods in the fall and spring when you just need a quick fire to warm up the stove and heat up the place, but don't need a lot of coals or need a long lasting fire. Keep the good stuff for later in the winter.

I have a pile of softwood just for that reason so I will at the cottonwood to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.