I Know I Am A Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
.....you act like it's a chore to cut down the last silver maple giving any shade to your wife's garden....and then enjoy every minute of splitting and stacking it for the stove two years from now.

Reactions: osagebow
.... You fell, buck and haul away a maple tree that is 48" round at the base, and it is 90+ degrees with high humidity when it probably could have waited a couple more months because you want to try out a new chain saw!
91fea8be0d5fad4b9db18a679426531c.jpg
a73650ccf83af154c92942bf44f1084b.jpg

I cut 5 loads last week and brought the rounds back to the house. Letting them sit until the weather turns cooler and I can split and stack at my leisure and in some comfort.

You save your premium stuff for special occasions, like a fine wine. Burn the uglies first so as not to cast a bad light on your more respectable stock.
Have more wood stoves than cars, pine over new models and think of places you could use em, when you have too many already. Last but not least ,look forward to nasty weather.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
When after nearly collapsing yesterday, you want to go out and do it again today.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Get into a 20 minute conversation to "wooducate" a guy at a yard sale you bought a forest helmet from. Not bad for 5 bucks. IMAG0086.jpg *Wife waiting in car correctly guesses the topic conversation. She's not nearly as enthusiastic over the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
@2fireplacesinSC, yeah I'm just northeast of you up in the Blythewood area. I got the BK from Bart's Fireside. They don't carry them but can order them directly from BK.

@2fireplacesinSC, yeah I'm just northeast of you up in the Blythewood area. I got the BK from Bart's Fireside. They don't carry them but can order them directly from BK.

Thanks Chap. That's good to know. I'm curious to know how that BK works for you this winter. I'd looked at their princess insert but pretty heft price tag as a starter device so went with the Jotul. Hope your wood is seasoned. The first season I had some spotty wood, but with this heat, everything seems to season pretty quickly.

You might be a wood burner when your form of relaxation involves turning beautiful trees into beautiful firewood.

You might be a wood burner if ....

You just say "duck" it, and quit splitting & stacking because your gonna pass out.

Then you go outside and walk the dog a few times, and slowly fill up the dually wheel barrow, take a break, then go back out and push the wheel barrow to the stacks, then take a break, then go back out and start to stack the stuff. Nice thing about dually's is ... you can walk the dog AND maneuver the wheel barrow at the same time.

That being said ... damn it, it's hot, but the firewood is seasoning quite nicely :)

Reactions: Jeffm1
You are out in the forest cutting wood and you get caught right smack in the middle of a midafternoon thunder storm (we call them monsoons here in Arizona). You are already soaked through with sweat so the rain is merely washing your clothes for you. The sudden gusts of wind feel really good, quite refreshing actually, like someone turned on the air conditioning. The hail just bounces off your forestry helmet, that's what its made for right, hail? The thunder and lightning going off around you like a mad scientist creating Frankenstein, merely makes you yell as loud as you can over the roar of your chainsaw, "YEEEHAWWWWW!" !!! like Slim Pickens in "Dr. Strangelove". And then on the drive home you are grining ear to ear and think to yourself, "Boy, that was fun" and really mean it. Yup, thats when you begin to think to yourself that ya, maybe I do have some issues...

Last edited:
You are out in the forest cutting wood and you get caught right smack in the middle of a midafternoon thunder storm (we call them monsoons here in Arizona). You are already soaked through with sweat so the rain is merely washing your clothes for you. The sudden gusts of wind feel really good, quite refreshing actually, like someone turned on the air conditioning. The hail just bounces off your forestry helmet, that's what its made for right, hail? The thunder and lightning going off around you like a mad scientist creating Frankenstein, merely makes you yell as loud as you can over the roar of your chainsaw, "YEEEHAWWWWW!" !!! like Slim Pickens in "Dr. Strangelove". Ya, thats when you begin to think to yourself that ya, maybe I do have some issues...

Had too :)

Last edited:
I'm completely with you. I'm looking out the window trying to spot any leaves that might be beginning to change color.
Starting to happen here already.

Sorry guys, but if your moving wood during the 100 degree heat of summer you failed to prepare properly last winter. I did all my work at 10 degrees last winter and was happy doing it. I'm locked and loaded for this winter. This summer heat/humidity (110 heat index) is for swimming in the pool with a cold drink, not splitting wood for this winter.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sorry guys, but if your moving wood during the 100 degree heat of summer you failed to prepare properly last winter. I did all my work at 10 degrees last winter and was happy doing it. I'm locked and loaded for this winter. This summer heat/humidity (110 heat index) is for swimming in the pool with a cold drink, not splitting wood for this winter.

Naaah ... for me, it's stacking what got delivered this year, to burn 2 years from now .... just can't let it sit in a pile, ya know? :p

This isn't for this winter but for 2018==c

What do you mean?? There's people who don't do that...?

Haha. Excellent point. Let's see, how do I make myself sound more pathetic...OK, you drive around after storms looking for felled limbs, you bring your two young sons with you when you find the wood, and you position it to them as a "fun game" as the three of you perform backbreaking work while loading up the wheelbarrow and/or toddler wagon with massive tree rounds.

(PS - I don't actually make the little ones do any hard labor but I DO bring 'em with me :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: Wood Collector
I'm guessing/ laying odds that once over a full year ahead it's just a hobby, extra security,
opportunity knocking on said suburban limbs, etc once the safety cushion is built.

After that it's more of a game. I'm liking it. Got next year's first shoulder done and still
crankin' away here. Always on the lookout for a good hit. Strangely a year ago myself nor
the family even SAW roadside wood or mega limbs above the forest floor while driving along.

They see and report burnables now too !! (kinda like never seeing a Honda Civic until ya buy one)
Scoring wood now is a stress-free family game/effort.

CheapWarmMark