I know I am supposed to only burn wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
...but do you think I could use some ears of dried corn in the stove? I have all these ears that came off the decorative corn shocks, and frankly, I don't want to attract the squirrels and other vermin. I could save it for my friends chickens, but I may not see her for a while, and I am too lazy to shuck them.
Do you think a few might make safe kindling?

I am sure a few will disagree but I do not see an issue with using a few at a time. At one time I was burning whole ears in my shop stove, but it was an old smoke dragon.

*grabbing the popcorn*

I'd burn it without thinking twice. But that's me and I'm "That Neighbor".

Reactions: Firedancer
What's their moisture content?

Reactions: dmmoss51
I have done this before and see no problem with it. Now, I shell the corn as feed and shred the cobs for bedding.

*grabbing the popcorn*
Ha Ha! Thought about that.
I think I will go ahead and put them in the kindling box, there are only about 20 of them. After all, some of the pellet people use corn in theirs.

I would shuck them remove the kernels and coat them in butter first. .. Of coarse you can burn them ,many a farmer has heated his home this way over the years

Reactions: firebroad
They do sell corn stoves...although I never thought of burning them in the wood stove. I wonder if there's any left on the stalks the missed in the field across the way...hmm...wonder what kind of burn time they give...

Status
Not open for further replies.