1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I know nothing about gas

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Dill, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    I'm good with woodstove but hopeless with gas so I'm looking for help.
    My house has a 700sq ft, 5 room apartment attached that my mother in law just moved into. She's not home enough to keep a wood stove running. So we're looking into gas stoves, since I also like the fact it will keep going in an outage, since we lose power quite often.
    Ideally I'd like a corner installation vented out an outside wall. What is the difference between dv and B vent?
    There are a number of used stoves around me in my price range (I'd like to stand under 1k),
    Lopi Sturbridge and Berkshire
    Hearthstone Tuscon and Sterling
    a couple VC models
    and Waterford

Any recommendations?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    DV draws combustion air from the outside thru one pipe & vents outside thru a different one. They may be separate pipes (Co-linear) or an outer & an inner pipe (Co-axial). Some DV units can s vent straight out the rear of the unit without any rise in the vent. B-Vent units draw combustion air from INSIDE & vent outside... AFIK, ALL B-vents require some rise in order to vent properly. Of the models listed, I am familiar with the Hearthstone units & some of the VC models. Generally, they are good units, but I'd stay away from VC due to the constant management turnover...If you can get the unit venting & install for less than $1K, go for it. A new Tucson with minimal venting probably sells for just about $3k without install...
  3. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    Okay so if I'm looking for a rear vent its probably a DV that I should find right? I'd rather not poke another hole in the roof if I can avoid it.
    Does the stone part of the heartstones hold the heat like the wood fired models? And what brands have good thermostat controls?
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...