I know you can't go too big, but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawkdriver

Jan 3, 2013
Colchester, CT
So I've been kicking around the idea of a wood stove insert for years now, but never had the $$$ to make it an easy. Fast forward to today, and I'm ready to pull the trigger (the CFO has authorized our purchase!).

It looks like we narrowed it down to an Avalon Olympic, PE Summit, or PE Super. I know, two large and one medium, but that's the recommendation from three different "local" shops. He's my layout; the house is about 1900, with another 400 in the finished basement. I have no aspiration of heating the entire home with the insert, the layout isn't "open" and I don't plan on setting up multiple fans for ventilation. I have 9 foot ceilings and it's a center hall colonial with rooms which I imagine with restrict airflow. I'd like to be able to heat the ground floor nicely, and reduce the furnace work load (and oil $$$!). The temps in SE Connecticut do get low, but our single digit nights are few in a season.

I'm always a fan of go bigger, but here's my concern; my fireplace is in the living room, which we spend about 80% of our awake hours in. Its about 12x25, with the stove dead center along the 25' wall, and only about 8' away from my recliner. My concern with the Summit (and olympic to a lesser extent) is the amount of heat from the stove. I know I can make a smaller fire, but but I'm trying to be realistic on what I need. I know they are a lot of insert owners on here, and I've been lurking for a long time now. But realistically, is it worth the extra cost to go to a Summit vs a super with my situation?

The EBT on the Summit sounded great at first, but after reading the posts I'm worried that if the stove gets too much for the room, there won't be any way to curb it to a reasonable level (another reason for the Super?). The Avalon is a close choice as well, but I'll be honest I like the PE's setup of the blowers on the side of the unit rather than along the floor.

Lastly, has any Pacific Energy Super users wished they went with a unit with a bigger glass? (the Wife's concerned that we won't see the fire)

Thanks for any help, you've all been helpful so far with previous posts.

Hey blackhawk welcome. A recent previous thread had a similar subject basically worried about burning his family out of the room (OP Nudge "Afraid of too much heat") so you may find some good thoughts there. My advice is to to get a high BTU kerosene heater and put it in the room you want to heat so you can see how the heat moves in your house. My insert is in a room 16 x 30 or so (close to yours) and in my case the heat moves to the rest of the house easily so it almost never overheats the room. I know you said you don't want a bunch of fans but one small fan pointed into the stove room has made a big difference for a number of forum members.

If it moves through the house well you can go big!

Welcome. Last concern first, you will see the fire. The PE Super is a good choice I think based on the description. It can burn over a wide range of temperatures. Also in this class of stoves is Lopi Endeavor, Napoleon 1402, etc. but the glass size is about equal.

We have a Regency i3100 (2.9cuft) in our livingroom (16X22) and it makes lots of heat. Yes, our LR is typically >80F when the stove is going good and the o/s temp are above -5C. Last couple of days it's been -20C around here and the LR has cruised about 75F. When it gets too hot in the LR - which does happen in the late spring / early fall we just open a window. The best part is, most of the winter I am in shorts and a t shirt and I love the heat off this thing ;)

I'm gonna take a slightly different track and try and convince you that a free-standing stove will be more efficient and give you overall better performance.

There are a ton of size and shape options out there, in the free-standing stove world.

-Soupy1957

Thanks for the help guys. I'm concerned that the Summit's EBT will keep the burn rate up to be more efficient, but wont let me turn it down. I like the bigger box of the Avalon, but was impressed with the PEs design and warranty. I don't know if I have Napoleon dealer local, but I'll check.

Any significant performance difference between the T5 insert and the Super? Besides the Cast Iron? Beautiful stove, not sure if we like it that much more though...

Thanks Soupy, but I honestly not sure if I have the room for it. I seriously considered last year when we moved in, but having lived in the house for the past year with the wife and kids, I'm not sure if I want something else in the way. Especially in the summer.

I will second the PE Super for your application. If you don't have the ability to move the heat to other parts of the home, you fall squarely into the "space heater" category (vs. home heater). At that point, size the stove for the space you are trying to heat.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm concerned that the Summit's EBT will keep the burn rate up to be more efficient, but wont let me turn it down. I like the bigger box of the Avalon, but was impressed with the PEs design and warranty. I don't know if I have Napoleon dealer local, but I'll check.

Any significant performance difference between the T5 insert and the Super? Besides the Cast Iron? Beautiful stove, not sure if we like it that much more though...

PE redesigned the EBT so that it's no longer boosting the primary air. It now works like a barometric damper on the secondary air only. That sounds like a very nice change. FWIW, I never get runaways on the T6 with the same firebox and can load it to the roof. And that is with an unregulated secondary port. Still, I think you will be fine with the Super for your specific home and needs as described.

Status
Not open for further replies.