I like burning BIG CHUNKS of wood like this. How about you?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53flyer

Oct 21, 2009
Eastern WA
I like using as large of pieces as possible iot get longer burns than if I cut them into 2 or 3 pieces. This piece was 9H x 15W x 24L and really filled the box up pretty well. I love wood that's 16-17" in diameter so I can split it in half for 2 separate loads. I usually put a few 2-3in diameter "twigs" under the large piece for kindling and to provide airflow. That's one of the downfalls I've seen with most inserts that take relatively small pieces in both length and diameter.

For some reason the flames didn't come through very well in the picture though (especially on the left side where it looks like wispy thin gases but was actually rolling flames). There were flames all over the wood and coming about half way down the glass. I'm not sure why they don't come through better other than possible camera limitations or operator error...

Attachments

• 9x15x24 in stove1200.jpg
    9x15x24 in stove1200.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 993
With my source of wood, the biggest piece I can fit in the box is the only hope I have for a true overnight "burn" just get a smokin hot coal bed and just jam that big ol' spit in there, then fill up the rest of the box with whatever you can.

It lasts a long time but burns cooler than multiple pieces. I also like the 8-10 in round ones, unsplit they seem to burn slower.
I do like them extra large pieces for when I go out for a long day, always enough coals to get it going again.

3 words

Blaze King KIng

Blaze King King is King

kenny chaos said:
You'd love an OWB but not so efficient in good wood stove.
I'm not sure what OWB is.

stihltheone said:
3 words
Blaze King KIng

So are you saying the BK is good for loading with Big Chunks too? Do you also try to use big chunks?

Can any BK owners tell me what sort of size restrictions the door causes? How big of a round or split can you get in without too much trouble? For me the sizes are 10" rounds or 16" rounds cut in half which become two splits that are each approximately 8x16x24".

I don't have the space to let big ol' chunks like that season for 4 years, so I split my stuff 3-4 inch for faster seasoning. For overnights I just pack all the splits together like a puzzle in the stove.

Yeah I burn a few of those small splits in the 30 sometimes. :coolgrin:

53flyer said:
Can any BK owners tell me what sort of size restrictions the door causes? How big of a round or split can you get in without too much trouble? For me the sizes are 10" rounds or 16" rounds cut in half which become two splits that are each approximately 8x16x24".

As a reference, I use a full size coal shovel through the front door to clean the ashes. The useful area of the firebox of a king is 24" wide, 15 " high and 18 to 20" deep. You will get a 10" round through the door but you are probably only going to get two in the box before you will have to fill in with smaller splits.

OWB = outdoor wood boiler. These forced draft machines are huge and dirty which allows them to burn whole green rounds. Smoke dragons and wood consumers but you don't need to really process your wood so...

Status
Not open for further replies.