I like the Rutland fire starter squares

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=13

I've been using them for all the fires so far and they've been working well.
Small, no muss, light easily, burn well.
I've only had to use one per fire so far with my dry wood.

I used to use Starter Loggs (or something like that), but they were more fuss.

I like them too. I use half a square. I like supercedars but they make crumbs when i cut them.

+2 I use em in the showroom for our solid fuel burn models & they work great in my BIG GREEN EGG!

are they cheaper than the brick shaped ones? The bricks went up in price to the point were SC were cheaper. I haven't compared prices for 2 years or so.

Matt

+1 on the crumbs from the Super Cedars.........I have to hold the disc inside the firebox, when I break em up, to avoid the little red chips getting all over the place.

I've seen log style fire starters and wondered about them.

-Soupy1957

On the Super Cedars, I leave them in the wrapper to break them into 4 pieces. Then simply cut the wrapper and take out 1/4. Yes, there are a few crumbs but not so many when you do it like this.

As far as the Super Cedar crumbs, I get the green ones - so no plastic. I break them in the box then when I get enough I just fill paper towel rolls or egg cartons. It's like a few extra starters in each box.

soupy1957 said:
+1 on the crumbs from the Super Cedars.........I have to hold the disc inside the firebox, when I break em up, to avoid the little red chips getting all over the place.

I've seen log style fire starters and wondered about them.

-Soupy1957

put it in a zip lock bag than break it into quarters, all the mess stays in the bag

Status
Not open for further replies.