I love Craigslist ! Scores galore!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I posted an ad looking for anyone having a tree taken down or tree co. looking to dump, and Ive had MUCH success. Ive hooked up with some tree co.'s and today I got a call from a guy with about 30 yards of Walnut, Oak, and Ash thats been bucked(but not split) and stacked in his yard for 2 years. I played it kool, and said "ok, I could take it a few loads @ atime over the next month or so, if youde like'. He's just sooo happy to get the wood out of his yard. CL puts people "in search of",(me) in touch with people "looking to get rid of". :) Of course.... then you also have those shady 'seasoned firewood' sellers on there! :coolmad:

I might have to try that. I would love for tree services to dump wood here and I really don't care what kind or what it looks like at this point since I am only starting out. Off to craigslist I go...

Good luck, lfunk11. Place an ad requesting homeowners with downed trees or tree companys looking to dump their hardwood in your driveway. Just make sure to clarify that your looking for HARDWOOD , NOT PINE. In the past Ive had some guys try to unload some useless,rotted or petrified garbage wood on my property. Youre looking for a mutually benificial relationship, here. If they're trying to use you as a dump for their crap, you will NOT be happy. Just make sure that you can actually USE what their bringing you. Expect to get hardwood in long,log form, that you'll have to buck yourself. You'll be doing them a favor by them not having to travel or pay to dump their wood- and you get (after a good amount of sweat equity) a cheap source of heating fuel for your home. ;-) P.S.- also call yor local tree companies listed in the phone book. Tell them what youre looking for . They'll put you on a list , and when their in your area with a load, it'll wind up on your property. :)

wood-fan-atic said:
Good luck, lfunk11. Place an ad requesting homeowners with downed trees or tree companys looking to dump their hardwood in your driveway. Just make sure to clarify that your looking for HARDWOOD , NOT PINE. In the past Ive had some guys try to unload some useless,rotted or petrified garbage wood on my property. Youre looking for a mutually benificial relationship, here. If they're trying to use you as a dump for their crap, you will NOT be happy. Just make sure that you can actually USE what their bringing you. Expect to get hardwood in long,log form, that you'll have to buck yourself. You'll be doing them a favor by them not having to travel or pay to dump their wood- and you get (after a good amount of sweat equity) a cheap source of heating fuel for your home. ;-) P.S.- also call yor local tree companies listed in the phone book. Tell them what youre looking for . They'll put you on a list , and when their in your area with a load, it'll wind up on your property. :)

thanks - I just posted an ad. I do not live in a big city and many people around here burn wood so not sure how well its going to work. I will have to call the tree companies at some point. I have enough wood on my property to work through, but I would rather have too much than not enough. I said in my ad that I would accept pine since at this point just starting out I am not going to be picky. We also have an outside fire pit so I have no problem building big fires there and wouldn't mind a big pile of wood to burn. I can keep the good stuff for the stove. I'll post here if I get any hits with this.

Ok. good luck. Post or PM me with your results. ;-)

I'm a firm believer in Craig's List. Over the past two months I've gotten well over 8 cords for free. I recently got into a mutual relationship with a tree service. The tree service will call me several days in advance to let me know about there next job and an approximate amount of wood. I have to pick the wood up but they buck it into 18" sections for me on the ground and help load. They know only to call for hardwoods and so far its been mainly oak and locust. I'm up to five cords from the tree service and am getting another four cords this weekend. The woods out there for the taking you just gotta hustle a little to get it. Best of luck fellow Craig's List'ers.

sgt7546 said:
I'm a firm believer in Craig's List. Over the past two months I've gotten well over 8 cords for free. I recently got into a mutual relationship with a tree service. The tree service will call me several days in advance to let me know about there next job and an approximate amount of wood. I have to pick the wood up but they buck it into 18" sections for me on the ground and help load. They know only to call for hardwoods and so far its been mainly oak and locust. I'm up to five cords from the tree service and am getting another four cords this weekend. The woods out there for the taking you just gotta hustle a little to get it. Best of luck fellow Craig's List'ers.

wish I lived up in Pittsburgh - I see stuff on CL every day, but the gas and time for me to drive up and get it isn't worth it. I need to get a trailer and then it might be worth my time - hopefully I find some things local.

Make it happen! It's out there- .....and some hard work and creativity will make it yours. ;-)

that didn't take long - not sure if this is something I want to do though. Not going to do all that work for pine, but might respond to see what I can work out of it. I don't mind doing a little work, but I am not going to clear 3 acres for a pine tree. I said I would take pine, but not work for it :)

----------------------

Hi

I live 10 miles from the XXXXX. I recently had my property timbered (3acres). I am single and my 24 year old son lives with me. We have been working every evening trying to get the wood to our carport to split. I would offer you for free a huge pine tree that was cut down. I also might offer some other trees that were cut down if you could offer to cut or haul some wood for me. Let me know what you think.

Like I said b/f lfunk11, make sure your eyes dont get too big that you jump at offers that are actually taking advantage of you. Its unfortunate, but people will try to *&%#%&^ you over. That being said, there is no rule anywhere that says you cant help someone out of a jam(karma lives forever). Just make sure if your going to do a good deed, that its just that- a decision on your part to help a neighbor, and not some &^#% taking advantage of you. Dont worry- your phone will ring. :)

wood-fan-atic said:
Like I said b/f lfunk11, make sure your eyes dont get too big that you jump at offers that are actually taking advantage of you. Its unfortunate, but people will try to *&%#%&^ you over. That being said, there is no rule anywhere that says you cant help someone out of a jam(karma lives forever). Just make sure if your going to do a good deed, that its just that- a decision on your part to help a neighbor, and not some &^#% taking advantage of you. Dont worry- your phone will ring. :)

She seems honest, I am going to try and drive by and see what I will be getting myself into.

I posted before that I used a tree service guy before. I told him only "good" wood, no pine, no rot. First couple times it was good, then I got a bunch that was pretty much on the rotting trail. I actually made him take some back which he really did not like. But there were some that were 100% punk. I took some that was 50/50 and just disposed of the bad in the woods. Point is, he got less picky about what he was dropping, while I continued to hold the line on not accepting complete crap. He eventually stopped calling.

I think he realized that he could sell all the really good stuff (which at first he gave me) and was looking to dump the carp...I offered to off set his gas so long as it was good, but the relationship just lost its steam.

I have had luck every now and then with guys calling and then going to pick it up. Only problem with that is you have to be able to take off in the middle of the week which proved hard for me.

Good luck!

Yes, Funk , thats what I meant by doing good deeds- its all good! ........do unto others.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.