I LOVE dry wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Burning dry wood this year (stove was installed in Jan and had to rely on wood sellers "seasoned" wood). Makes life SO much easier when all it takes to get the stove roaring is a shred of newspaper tied in a knot!

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for the greatest advice on the net (getting dry wood)!

And a 260?

Remmy122 said:
Makes life SO much easier when all it takes to get the stove roaring is a shred of newspaper tied in a knot!
Yep. It used to be a lot of work starting a fire. Now I just load the stove, put a few newspaper knots on that and a few pieces of small Pine kindling on top of the paper. Then I light the paper and watch the beauty of a top-down fire establishing itself.
:coolsmile:

Remmy122 said:
Burning dry wood this year (stove was installed in Jan and had to rely on wood sellers "seasoned" wood). Makes life SO much easier when all it takes to get the stove roaring is a shred of newspaper tied in a knot!

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for the greatest advice on the net (getting dry wood)!

Ditto to that. Thats my time line too. Congrats and Thanks to all for the advise.

Amen to that!

Now I just need to get my boy to remembere which pile to pull from I will be all set.

Joey said:
It is true.....dry wood is the key to it all.........

+ as many +s as you can imagine :)

This is my first year with actually really really dry wood. Now a ball of newspaper does what it took a couple of Duraflame blocks to do before.

Oh yeah- it'll burn all night too. Got a whole box of uglies just for the purpose.

Now I have to undo the Mrs.' idea that "the stove doesn't work" and "fires are hard to start."

If you have good dry wood, it is as easy to start/load the stove as it is to walk over to the thermostat to turn up the oil furnace....
I can definitely see a difference this year with our wood...

Don't ever underestimate the power of GOOD WOOD dammit....
It is a "key" to our happy lives as woodburners... :coolsmirk:
Just sayin.... :lol:

Someone mentioned a top down fire, a great indicator for telling you if your wood is dry, in my experience a top down fire isn't really possible with unseasoned wood, but if your wood is dry, the top down fire just takes off.

Guess I should have learned about this dry wood stuff. I'll just have to suffer through it all.

Don' worry Dennis, you'll get the hang of it one o' these days ; )

ATB,
Mike P

And thank you Remmy122, for the picture you have under your name. I laugh everytime I see it. :lol: Are you that happy when you are splitting wood? :) I like to split wood. But that little guy looks like he really enjoys it! Have a good one man.

Yep, I was in same position last year. Now this year I have good dry wood and can tell a huge difference in starting my fires.

After my first year I also found that revelation amazing, the result being what seemed to be a 40% savings in wood and work.

Sadly I almost returned my Fireview because of not so dry wood. Now it burns like a champ.

Yep 700deg spike cruise about 550 primary air fully closed secondary absolutly rolling. Poplar aka tulip is great dry but short burns. I got a lot free so im gonna burn it.

Dry wood........

The only true love affair outside of marriage...... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.