I Love Getting New Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
My brother pulled me aside at our weekly family dinner last Sunday and asked if I had a use for a circular saw. Of course I do so he went down to the garage abd grabbed it and I tossed it in my trunk wiht a heartfelt thank you. He said he didn't know if it worked or not and it probably needed a new blade if it does work, but he just doesn't need it anymore and hadn't used it in years.

Got it home, its all cobwebby so I cleaned it off and darned if its noy a real nice 8 1/4" Milwaukee! Motor runs so I went out and grabbed a nice new blade for it and tried it out in some wood. Didn't realize circular saws came in 8 1/4" blades so I bought a 7" blade at first and had to go back and find the largers sizes, which are nowhere near the shelf circular saws...and nowhere near the same price either of course.

The safety guard was sticky, had a bit bent on the end so I pulled that out a bit and then ZIP! sucker just tore right through a brand new pressure treated 6x6 that I had to cut to length...the saw goes to about a 2.9" depth so I had a sliver of about 1/8" in the middle of each ebam I had to cut with the hand saw.

Nice saw, always knew I ought to have one, now I not only have one, but it seems to be a really good one.

Looks like this.

6405.jpg

Just wanted to share.

Power tools= good. Quality power tools= Great. Free, quality power tools= AWESOME! Nice saw. What ya gonna build now?

mayhem said:
The safety guard was sticky, had a bit bent on the end...
LOL we used to whack them with a ball peen just so to make the guard stick in the full up position. A poor man's guard lock.

I have the same saw in 7 1/4". It is very light because of the magnesium body, but it is also virtually unstoppable with a carbide blade in it. Best circ saw I ever owned. Smooth and very powerful.

mayhem said:
Didn't realize circular saws came in 8 1/4" blades...

They come in 10" and 16" also. Here I am helping a friend build a timber frame barn. It's handy cutting 7x7 beams in a single pass. The big one is also very handy for cutting tomato stakes. :ahhh:

Attachments

• saws_1.jpg
    saws_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 359
  • saws_2.jpg
    saws_2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 361
  • saws_3.jpg
    saws_3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 361
Peter that is one big circular saw, I see it is good with tooth picks too. What does a saw like that cost?

GolfandWoodNut said:
Peter that is one big circular saw, I see it is good with tooth picks too. What does a saw like that cost?

$689 currently. I paid about $550 back in 2005 and sold it in 2009 for $500. So it cost me $50 to "rent" it for 4 years.

It looks scary but it's just got a 15-amp motor like any other circular saw...just geared differently. Binds very easily in a full depth cut.

midwestcoast said:
Power tools= good. Quality power tools= Great. Free, quality power tools= AWESOME! Nice saw. What ya gonna build now?

Working on a porch roof to cover the side deck from rain and snow. During the winter between regular snowfalls and snow and ice cascding off the 11/12 pitch roof, the deck by the doors can get over 3 feet deep really quickly and when that happens its game over, can't use the door till spring.

The vertical posts are 10' PT 6x6's and I had to take the top 18" off them to get the height right. Top girder is made out of PT 2x10's and the rafters will all be 2x10's as well. We get a lot of snow and I'm not taking any chances with underbuilding the thing since I know the shallower grade over the proch will tend to hold a lot of snow if I don't get to rake it off regularly. Have to get the last couple of girder 2x10's up this weekend and start on the rafters. The heaader plate is already in place on the existing roof...now I just need to figure out how to make the proper angle cuts for the rafters as its something I've never done before. But you cna be sure its something I'll be using my new toy to cut and recut and re-recut till I get it.

Peter, thats a big saw. I remember the guy who put our logs up for the house used something like that to cut them to length. Makes sense that there would be things like that...just don't see them often.

Gary_602z said:
Watch the cord! Every saw I have ever had has had defective cords that jump right up in front of the blade! :lol:

Gary

i think every saw i have ever owned had the cord cut....

Love free power tools . . . especially free power tools that are good quality.

Impressive saw Peter . . . very impressive.

Just noticed I somehow missed getting the attachment in my last post.

Attachments

• posts.jpg
    posts.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 232
midwestcoast said:

I like the ones that are passed down from generation to generation...my Dad gave me his old Skil; the same one that I had first used when he taught me how to handle one. All solid steel body and motor that won't quit! Of course, over the years a couple more have found their way to my garage, but none will have the history like this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.