I love it when a plan comes together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
This is the first year I've had such a variety of wood species, and the knowledge to know what kind of wood to burn at what time. When I packed the woodshed this year I set it up to start with cotton wood and black walnut. It burned great and heated the house well without overheating when temps were in the low forties/thirties. I'm just finishing that up and now moving into hard maple, cherry and ash right as the temps are moving into the twenties. Have about two cords (hopefully enough) of white oak for the very cold. Behind that I have ash, cherry, then a little more cottonwood to burn in April / May. For once, things are moving along as planned.

schortie said:
This is the first year I've had such a variety of wood species, and the knowledge to know what kind of wood to burn at what time. When I packed the woodshed this year I set it up to start with cotton wood and black walnut. It burned great and heated the house well without overheating when temps were in the low forties/thirties. I'm just finishing that up and now moving into hard maple, cherry and ash right as the temps are moving into the twenties. Have about two cords (hopefully enough) of white oak for the very cold. Behind that I have ash, cherry, then a little more cottonwood to burn in April / May. For once, things are moving along as planned.
Sounds like you have it figured out. That is all part of the fun. Good job. Sure would like some pics though ;-P

Well thought out, planned & executed.
Preparation!

Nice to have a good supply of wood. :cheese:

I’ve got mine all figured out too, but my plan is a lot simpler.
In the fall (Oct-Dec) I’ll start to burn a little Lodgepole pine.
Mid winter (Jan-Feb), when things get colder I’ll start burning a lot more Lodgepole pine.
Then when the weather starts to break and I’m able to cut back a little, I'll burn smaller loads of ,,,,,,, you guessed it,,, Lodgepole pine.

Truthfully, I do have some black walnut and Maple in the mix, but it will probably just get mixed in with the,,,,,, you know what????

I sort my wood on a day by day basis - oak and Black Locust at night, Soft Maple, Cherry, Black Walnut, a little Elm, and more oak for daytime. Mine is all stacked together. I can't claim to have a plan, but it is working out pretty well.

You saved me a new topic! I was wondering if others did exactly that. I did it with my shorts and uglies being my first of the year but not the rest because my main source of wood was a well seasoned scrounge of c/s/s that was also well mixed. Thanks for sharing because you confirmed my plans for next year.

f v

After lurking here for a while I tried, very briefly, to sort my wood. Too much work for little return in my opinion. I now sort by cedar, (read as we don't really need a fire but someone wants one or its great kindling) and everything else. All I try to do now is make sure I don't have a massive pile of rounds waiting to be split. Key word is try... sometimes the need to split is overcome by the desire to cut.

Except for cedar, the stacks are now just a chronological record of what I felt like doing.

I dont bother sorting, being years ahead its all ready to go when its time comes.

schortie said:

Glad your plans are working out, our first year was a rush but after finding this site which pushed us to get ahead on our wood supply things are much better.

We have enough room that I stack our best woods (sugar maple & beech) in seperate areas, the Cherry we burn is in it's own stacking area. It just gives us a better idea of how much we have or might need to cut. If we had less room I would just stack all the wood together.

It seems we always have Cherry coming down over the winter but the Sugar Maple & Beech not so much, so we (me) keep a good count of how much of our best stuff we have.

Looking for two cord of shoulder season wood for next year, not sure if mother nature will give me enough time but we will see.

zap

I'm an equal opportunity burner for the most part . . . if I do any sorting it's in the woodshed or at the woodbox when I decide if I need my good stuff or not for a longer burn or if the not as good stuff will suffice.

OK, I'll say it.

Nice A-Team reference. Makes me think of Hannibal Smith smoking a cigar in his Godzilla costume.

Good work with the wood plan as well.

schortie, it sounds like you've been busy.

I scrounged and split all this wood at different times so they were already divided in the stacks. The only extra effort was deciding which wood to load in the shed when. Next year's wood is only cherry and oak. I'll sandwich the oak between the cherry for sure. I pity the fool that burns green wood - yet another A-team reference.

This year is the best, so far.
I had about 1/3 cord of spruce to burn in late Sept. through October, and I should have done more since the weather was so mild.
I have about a full cord of Spruce and White Pine for next spring to save the good stuff that I actually paid for. This process will continue.
It was really nice being able to have a short hot fire in the morning when the house was a little cool, but the day would warm.
Yeah, I love it when a plan comes together.

I am mostly dealing with red and white oak but this year also have maple, ash, and black birch. Using the maple as much as possible during the day. saving the birch and ash for overnight burns. The oak will be used when it really get cold. Kinda nice have different types of wood to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.