I Love My Arborist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I got this dropped off in my driveway today. Should finish off my 2012 stacks.

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

I ain't saying nothing but, "Thank you!"

wendell said:
yep thats what i'd say! you should have a saw in that group that will bring it down to size

good pile - case of beer or maybe some blackberry brandy to keep the guy warm....

What kind of tree is that?

BrotherBart said:
What are you trying to start? We all know that it is a Hack-shag-ash-box-berry.

webby3650 said:
BrotherBart said:
What are you trying to start? We all know that it is a Hack-shag-ash-box-berry.
+1 or -1 sure looks like it? and bet the farm on it!

It's ash.

Yup, it certainly is white ash. And I agree Wendell, the only thing I'd say is, "Thank you."

That tree could be White Ash, but I was going to say Norway Maple. This was a planted shade tree, judging by the way it is branched, and Norway Maple is a more common shade tree, unfortunately. Does White Ash ever get the dark center that part of this tree has?

BrotherBart said:

It's "Yardwood" !

Peace,
- Sequoia

Wood Duck said:
Does White Ash ever get the dark center that part of this tree has?

Yup!

Its white ash.

Glad to know what it is. Three weeks ago I dropped a big dead one and I had never seen that wood before. Seems like it must have been the only ash in the forest of oak, beech and Tulip trees that I live in. Well, a half cord awaits a try out two or three years from now.

Thanks.

wendell said:

Right, I think what you think...your very fortunate wendell.

Yep. Both of you keep each other happy. He doesn't have to pay landfill fees, which are getting to be significant for arborists, and you get wood. The best for both of ya.

Definitely Ash. My guess is Green Ash. Green Ash were planted like crazy starting about 30-40 years ago as street and yard shade trees along with Silver Maple to replace the Elm after they were taken down due to DED. Green Ash will have that dark center and the grain will look like Oak. In fact, it looks so close to Oak it's often called Honey Oak and used for Children's furniture since it isn't legal to use Red Oak since it has a open grain and the Ash has a closed grain. The Ash is much less likely to splinter than the Oak in case the child chews on it, like in a crib. Anyway, sorry for ramblin', the Green Ash grows fast, faster than the White Ash and isn't nearly as dense as the White. I've found that Green Ash needs to season well unlike White Ash and makes for a good day time wood to burn as it doesn't burn long enough to last all night. Throws a lot of heat and is the prettiest burning wood I've ever burned. I have as EPA rated insert and when the air supply is turned down this wood will burn with a flame that fills the whole box. Looks like the pictures when they advertise them. Man I'm lookin forward to some cooler weather and getting a fire going - if you can't tell!

Andybaker

Status
Not open for further replies.