I Love My Blue Tick! Might have saved our lives!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Well... Long story short, my Blue Tick hound pulled from under my 400 degree Mansfield a teddy-bear.... Not sure how it got there..... Could have been my 4 year old boy, but I am guessing that Reagan (Name of my dog)... (And yes after Ron) stuffed the bear under there and saved it from the fire. The bear is slightly melted, but Reagan still loves it.

Could have been bad! It was hot when she (the dog) brought it to me..

Moral of the story. Take a moment to check under the stove before lighting. Especially if you have kids (or dogs that act like kids).

BeGreen said:
Moral of the story. Take a moment to check under the stove before lighting. Especially if you have kids (or dogs that act like kids).

Yeah... I guess. It was so odd. My wife and I were watching TV (dog asleep on the couch next to us) and out of the blue, she get up and walks into the other room and gets real close to the stove. Next thing I know, she has her nose under the stove. Bear is safe....

She has much better smelling than we ever will have. Good dog, keeping her nose alert. Hope she has learned that is not a good spot for the bear.

As much as dogs sometimes seem to do all the wrong things they often really comes through when it matters!

Good looking hound!

This is an example of why I love dogs, you gonna give yours a nice steak tonight?

My girl enjoying the Mansfield...

Attachments

• DSC08412 [640x480].jpg
    DSC08412 [640x480].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 378
Nice looking dog and stove, the dog is supposed to be holding the bear in his mouth.

oldspark said:
Nice looking dog and stove, the dog is supposed to be holding the bear in his mouth.

Thanks... Actually, the dog IS NOT suppose to have the bear in her mouth..... But I guess I should make an exception.

Also a great time to check your fire and Co detectors in case Reagan is unavailable. Be safe.
Ed

Glad to hear a potentially serious issue was diverted. Also glad to hear that some blue ticks are smart. My buddy has one and it is one of the dumbest dogs either of us has ever seen. Super friendly and great with kids, but dumb as the day is long.

A story with a happy ending! Great!

Dogs are my favorite people. Looks like you got a good one.

I heard that before Blue Ticks were brought to the US there was a rumor they were so smart they could baby sit your kids and accomplish amazing tasks. Funny

Hey, looks like you have a blue tick hearthstone too. They match!

The first bluetick I ever knew was a MANIAC but his owners loved him. He used to stand on the antique dining table to watch out the window. Nice toenail gauges he left. He went THROUGH that window twice though, to go after stuff. The second time he did it he lost to a car, and that was the end of that poor dude. His instinct was stronger than any dog I knew, suburbia was not wide open enough for him I guess.

Hey ckduece,
Is that hearth prefab or did you make it? Just asking cuz Id like to do something similar in the saloon.

logger said:
Hey ckduece,
Is that hearth prefab or did you make it? Just asking cuz Id like to do something similar in the saloon.

Pre fab. Got it cheap $75.00!! Wooo

Neil said:
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs.

+1 !!

When I first started dating my wife, she had a pit bull mix, and I had a little terrier mix, both females. The first time they met, the became inseparable; my first clue that she was the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.