I Love My Ryobi Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
I was at my wits end trying to burn some damp wood in my new stove, an Englander 13NC. The wood wasn't really wet as it showed great signs of checking and was light in weight. But the stuff just wouldn't burn without a boatload of dry pallet wood as kindling. I came across a post of electric splitters the other day and said "thats what i need". I did buy the Ryobi at Home Depot for $300 . It is just a little electric monster, so I found a place next to my stove and put a piece of cardboard down to collect any fluid spills and have had nothing but success in burning my new stove, albeit with smaller pieces of wood, but I can get the stove up to temp and beyond... I am a newbie at E.P.A. stoves, but have many years experience burning other stoves. I wish I didn't have to buy this extra piece of equipment, but without it ....It would have been a tough winter.
J Chang

It seems that there's a consensus building that the Ryobi is the best among the electric splitters and that it does the job. Can you tell us how it handles larger rounds? If the piece is larger than the splitter is rated for, do you have success nipping away at the edges?

I think the maximum length of log is 20-1/2 inches. Machine specs say only 10" diameter log, but this unit will split 20+" diameter logs in my experience(haven't tried larger) and will make 1"X 1" splits as pretty as you please.

One caution...This unit made to be operated on horizontal axis...so you sit on floor and split or have HD table to hold very heavy unit. I did buy extra year warranty for $39, so now I am covered for 3 years. Being electric means you can bring the unit into your house and put wife to work...Ha Ha ....Ya, one more thing, unit set up to split 20.5" logs so if you will be splitting smaller lengths...you need some type of dead block to place between the ram and the piece you are trying to split.....Junk firewood will do.... very nice made machine

Hi Joey,

I have a Rypbi splitter too. However, I don't like that the ram has a bulge towards the backstop. Often, smaller splits will slide of the bulge and get pushed sideways (they won't stay in place).

Have you noticed that too and what do you do to prevent that?

Thanks

Carpniels

carpniels said:
Hi Joey,

I have a Rypbi splitter too. However, I don't like that the ram has a bulge towards the backstop. Often, smaller splits will slide of the bulge and get pushed sideways (they won't stay in place).

Have you noticed that too and what do you do to prevent that?

Thanks

Carpniels

My method is to carve out a piece of hardwood block. In my case it was cherry wood which I had lots of... Carve out back of the block so that it does sit flat against Ram.....Use old chisel or gouge or skil saw if need be ...make short depth cuts ...no need to be right on ...as long as back of pusher piece is relieved so that pusher block sit flat against ram. Maybe router with flat cutting bit might do job

Ryobi Splitter in action. Anybody need kindling wood?

Attachments

• 000_0135.jpg
    000_0135.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 595
I use my Ryobi Splitter for making kindling wood too. I rent a gas splitter for making firewood from logs. This seems to work well.

works just fine - bigger stuff i just shave off the sides - i did use a gas splitter after and i can say it's a LOT faster and no troubles but the Ryobi will do the job too

wood006.jpg

freewood.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.