I love my stihl but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
My ms250 is a great little saw. I overwork it and never dies.
It seems to only work for a tankful of gas, On refilling, it will start right away, but
letting it sit an hour or so and there is no starting it. Its in the shop now. Still under
warranty, its done this since it was new, getting crazy. Find out in a few days what
is wrong, unless I'm doing something wrong. I know stihl saws can be tempermental.

I know stihl saws can be tempermental.​

That's not usually the case. I'm guessing it's more a "procedural" error than something mechanically wrong. How do you restart it after sitting for 1 hour? Do you use full-choke again? Did the dealer attempt to start it or replicate the problem?

My last 025/250 hybrid was temperamental and would not start when it was hot when I was limbing with it in CA. I thought it was vapor lock or something similar. Never did figure that one out before I sold it.

If it is newer and under warranty, let them figure it out. Could be any number of seals or lines. The tank vent would be where I would look first. I would try cracking the gas cap and let the pressure out (if there is a lot of pressure, the vent is failing). Then I would replace the carb. The coil could also be defective and fail when it gets hot. That does not happen often, but they do fail from time to time (usually when they get old though).

My ms250 is a great little saw. I overwork it and never dies.
It seems to only work for a tankful of gas, On refilling, it will start right away, but
letting it sit an hour or so and there is no starting it. Its in the shop now. Still under
warranty, its done this since it was new, getting crazy. Find out in a few days what
is wrong, unless I'm doing something wrong. I know stihl saws can be tempermental.

I had a 290 that I ran the sh_t out of for over 8 years that got zero, and I mean zero, maintenance and it never failed to start. Ever.

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
Good news. The choke was sticking when choked all the way down. Second click up and it stuck.
All is good. works great. I knew it couldn't be all me.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.