1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I love my stihl but...

Post in 'The Gear' started by Paulywalnut, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    My ms250 is a great little saw. I overwork it and never dies.
    It seems to only work for a tankful of gas, On refilling, it will start right away, but
    letting it sit an hour or so and there is no starting it. Its in the shop now. Still under
    warranty, its done this since it was new, getting crazy. Find out in a few days what
    is wrong, unless I'm doing something wrong. I know stihl saws can be tempermental.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's not usually the case. I'm guessing it's more a "procedural" error than something mechanically wrong. How do you restart it after sitting for 1 hour? Do you use full-choke again? Did the dealer attempt to start it or replicate the problem?
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

My last 025/250 hybrid was temperamental and would not start when it was hot when I was limbing with it in CA. I thought it was vapor lock or something similar. Never did figure that one out before I sold it.

If it is newer and under warranty, let them figure it out. Could be any number of seals or lines. The tank vent would be where I would look first. I would try cracking the gas cap and let the pressure out (if there is a lot of pressure, the vent is failing). Then I would replace the carb. The coil could also be defective and fail when it gets hot. That does not happen often, but they do fail from time to time (usually when they get old though).
  4. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I had a 290 that I ran the sh_t out of for over 8 years that got zero, and I mean zero, maintenance and it never failed to start. Ever.
    LEES WOOD-CO likes this.
  5. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Good news. The choke was sticking when choked all the way down. Second click up and it stuck.
    All is good. works great. I knew it couldn't be all me.;)
    PA Fire Bug and MasterMech like this.