I love that kaboom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
My little brother Tommy, Dad and I were felling trees. Joel who runs my younger brothers laser on nite shift had three dead trees he wanted cut down. So we went out I got there at 1:30 and looked at them. Two I could do but there was too much stuff around the third one to do. Tommy said they were big but not real big. So I took my little 2145 and the 2171. Then thought what the heck and threw the big one in I only ran it once this year and it would be good to make a few cuts with it.

The first one was a dead ash 30" dia. I looked at my main cutting saw with a 20" bar and I could do it but I had the right saw for the job. So I grabbed my big boy 2186 with 32" bar. Most of the bark was off and it had a good lean. But it was in the clear and only tall grass around it. So I stomped the grass down and wacked it and hit with a mighty Kaboom! It had some good sized branches that were punky and it cracked and shattered when it hit the ground. Joel's little boy about 5 was jumping around yelling Dad it just exploded.

The second was a big maple 33" one way and 38" the other. And it had poison ivy vines on it so I put my brother to work peeling the vines off with a hatchet. But it had a rotted hole from ground up to 2 two foot. So I cut my hinge in at 3.5 foot the highest I could run the saw safely. It was a little soft but didn't seem bad. Dropped it right where I wanted it. But half the hinge just crumbled while the other half had good fiber pull. I don't cut many trees with lots of big branches. So I cleared a lot around the tree so I had three good escape routes. I crashed down and was a eye opener when the trunk lifted up 7 foot the rolled to the side 5 feet and landed on the ground. After I got two blocks cut off of it the stem was held off the ground by the branches so I could cut up 15' with out pinching the bar or hitting the ground. Man it felt good running that 2186 with 32" of bar berried in wood and chewing through it!

While I was blocking the trunk Tommy was limbing it. All of a sudden I hear my Dad yelling watch out watch out. My brother cut off a limb and the tree was rolling big branches up 15' in the air over him. But he was able to back up and stay away from the branches. Its always good to have someone around watching.

Then we broke out the splitter and started splitting the ash while dragging branches to the fire pit and burning them. Joel's wife cooked us dinner so we stopped splitting half way through the ash then got back to splitting. Our trailer is 5x10 with 33" side rails and I figure it holds about 1 1/4 cords. And we had the trailer filled just as it got dark. Joel couldn't believe how much we got done in three hours or so. There are just a few small pieces of ash left to split. And the maple is blocked up and ready to be split.

What a great day!! Sorry no pictures I was in a hurry and forgot the camera.

Billy

Billy it sounds like you had a good time but what did you have to eat.

zap

No Pictures !!!! Then it didn't happen !

It sure was Zap

Nothing fancy chicken fingers, fries and veggies. But we were hungry and it wend down just fine.

Howdy Shawneyboy

I know I'll take the camera when we go back for the maple. I wish I would have had it. The maple had five large branches and it looked awesome holding its self up off the ground.

Billy

Yep, gotta like the kaboom!

Billy, it can be fun getting out a big saw and also fun felling those bigger trees. I always liked the sound of them dropping! Sounds like you did have some fun.

I still let out a pretty good Yell after a good Kaboom! What a rush......

You know it Wendell!

Thanks G&WN; There's a lot of pressure getting all the cuts lined up and trying to be ready for the unexpected. But when it starts moving following the hinge and you can see its going to drop where you want it. What a rush.

It sure is Dennis. I love it when I have time to shut the saw off and listen and watch it.

Cool Jay

It sure is!!

Billy

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Cowboy Billy said:
. . . wife cooked us dinner
Billy

Half the reason we do most of the stuff we do . . .

Will work for Food!

Billy

Will work for food??? Any takers on the Oregon Coast? I'll supply the food (choices include award winning seafood chowder, homemade bread, heck I'd give you prime rib or filet mignon!) and the wood, I just need someone who LOVES to do this and has the tools! :) LOL!!! Seriously, I'm just beginning this journey and will be learning from all of you! :) Cheers!

i am only about 2.500 miles from you and would be more than happy to give you a hand..

you send the plane ticket and i can bring my own food Junque ;-P :cheese:

will take awhile but there is a ton of great information here on the board :)

loon

Junque said:
Will work for food??? Any takers on the Oregon Coast? I'll supply the food (choices include award winning seafood chowder, homemade bread, heck I'd give you prime rib or filet mignon!) and the wood, I just need someone who LOVES to do this and has the tools! :) LOL!!! Seriously, I'm just beginning this journey and will be learning from all of you! :) Cheers!

Oregon Sounds good to me I am loading the truck as I type!

Cool Road Trip!!!!

Billy

I have a cousin in Portland i haven't seen in way too long and i love the Oregon coast. Wonder if a 346 and a 7900 will fit in my carry on?

Shagbark Hickory dropped mid October 2010.Main log was 24" at stump end 19 1/2" at small end,no branches for 30'.Tree was hit by straight line winds sometime in late summer 2007,the entire top was folded over,split & hanging 25' in the air until I took it down.Had about 10% green foliage still live until it finally died last spring.Made one helluva kaboom when it came down,felt like an earthquake.Saved a 6' long section of the trunk,will mill it into 2" & 3" thick planks in a month or so.Rest of tree was cut up for fuel,smaller branches from 1" to 4" went into my smoker wood pile.

Attachments

• hickory 2.jpg
    hickory 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 231
  • hickory 3.jpg
    hickory 3.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 218
  • hickory 4.jpg
    hickory 4.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 238
  • hickory 6.jpg
    hickory 6.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 228
  • hickory 1.jpg
    hickory 1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 234
Thistle said:
Shagbark Hickory dropped mid October 2010.Main log was 24" at stump end 19 1/2" at small end,no branches for 30'.Tree was hit by straight line winds sometime in late summer 2007,the entire top was folded over,split & hanging 25' in the air until I took it down.Had about 10% green foliage still live until it finally died last spring.Made one helluva kaboom when it came down,felt like an earthquake.Saved a 6' long section of the trunk,will mill it into 2" & 3" thick planks in a month or so.Rest of tree was cut up for fuel,smaller branches from 1" to 4" went into my smoker wood pile.

Like walking on shaky ground....

Status
Not open for further replies.