I"m Clueless & Need Help Buying Wood Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who works at lowe's that will give me his employee discount on things. He said on most stuff there is quite a mark up and if I talk to department managers they will usually knock off some bux. It worked at home depot for an order of roxul (rockwool) Long story short, they had to order I said, "ehh, I will go somewhere else". Saved me about 10 bux a bundle. I also do it with tools for work, which does not benefit me but it works!

It also works at Best Buy.

It's my money and I want the most for it!

Lisa*Ann said:
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
Haggle with Home Depot! I do everytime! As for the piping look on here what it good and go on ebay and buy it! You will save some serious coin this way!

You can haggle with home depot? Seriously? What do you say and who do you haggle with, the manager or the clerk?

Good to see the picture, that helps. Looks like you've got a nice spot there. An insert in this fireplace may be better. Is this a gas or wood fireplace?

I agree nice looking hearth an insert may be just the ticket in your situation.. Fireplaces are nice to look at but horrible for heating purposes.. Good idea BeGreen!

Ray

BeGreen said:
Good to see the picture, that helps. Looks like you've got a nice spot there. An insert in this fireplace may be better. Is this a gas or wood fireplace?

It's a wood burning fireplace

Then an insert might work. That would cut down the cost of the flue piping if it could.

Is this a Heatilator brand? You might find the model on it somewhere which may help. When you open up the glass door, what is the height of the opening?

Lisa Im gonna tell you my story in a short manner. I have a Buck 27000 insert in my dowstairs den. Im tired of being cold upstairs and having to hike stairs all winter bringing in wood and tending to the fire, not to mention heating unused living space. I have a large brick fireplace upstairs that also "sucked" heat whenever we used it. Usually during power outages.

I signed up here about 2 months ago and started reading every night. Last week I grabbed a like new Buck model 21 for 400.00 dollars on craigslist. After a thorough chimney cleaning Ill add a blower kit 159.00 and install my own stainless 6 inch liner kit for roughly 300.00 give or take. Ill also fabricate and install my own block off plate in order to reclaim ALL of the heat I can from my stove. So for under 1000.00 Ill have exactly what I need for next winter even during a power outage. It takes time to learn and patience to get this right.

Im just north of you in NC so I know how it felt this winter but imagine being where some of these folks are in the N.E.. It was crazy cold there. They have the utmost knowledge in staying warm. Just sit back and take it all in for a few weeks and it will all come together for you, and you can then make an educated decision.

Once you are ready to start shopping use www.searchtempest.com Search outside of your area because I found mine close by because the seller had it listed in the wrong geographical area within craigslist. Simple mistake on their part that really helped me.

Loco Gringo said:
Lisa Im gonna tell you my story in a short manner. I have a Buck 27000 insert in my dowstairs den. Im tired of being cold upstairs and having to hike stairs all winter bringing in wood and tending to the fire, not to mention heating unused living space. I have a large brick fireplace upstairs that also "sucked" heat whenever we used it. Usually during power outages.

I signed up here about 2 months ago and started reading every night. Last week I grabbed a like new Buck model 21 for 400.00 dollars on craigslist. After a thorough chimney cleaning Ill add a blower kit 159.00 and install my own stainless 6 inch liner kit for roughly 300.00 give or take. Ill also fabricate and install my own block off plate in order to reclaim ALL of the heat I can from my stove. So for under 1000.00 Ill have exactly what I need for next winter even during a power outage. It takes time to learn and patience to get this right.

Im just north of you in NC so I know how it felt this winter but imagine being where some of these folks are in the N.E.. It was crazy cold there. They have the utmost knowledge in staying warm. Just sit back and take it all in for a few weeks and it will all come together for you, and you can then make an educated decision.

Once you are ready to start shopping use www.searchtempest.com Search outside of your area because I found mine close by because the seller had it listed in the wrong geographical area within craigslist. Simple mistake on their part that really helped me.

+1 Well said and good advice!

Ray

raybonz said:
Loco Gringo said:

Ray

Thank you so much Ray. Coming from a seasoned vet like yourself that means a lot. I kinda needed to hear that.

Loco Gringo said:
raybonz said:
Loco Gringo said:

Ray

Thank you so much Ray. Coming from a seasoned vet like yourself that means a lot. I kinda needed to hear that.

We were all new once and to this day I still learn.. This is what makes this site excellent it's the meeting of the minds and the willingness to pass that knowledge along.. When I came here 3 yrs. ago I learned all the mistakes I had been making and things are much better now.. This has to be the friendliest group of down to earth people on the internet..

Ray

I'm not too far away up in Asheville. If you think it is cold now, you have not scene anything yet. There have been a lot of great posts advising you on which direction to go etc.

What I wanted to point out is that the dead trees in the woods and probably not suitable to burn. They need to be cut split and stacked first. If it were me, i would make March a project months to put up two years worth of wood. Buy your stove and save you pennies and have it installed properly before the fall. I heated 24-7 and went through ~ 2.5 cords (so far). My house was built in 97 and seems to be well insulated. Our electric bill dropped ~140 per month when using wood heat so a stove like you are looking at may pay for itself quickly.

Lisa*Ann said:
Here are pics of the fireplace from both sides. It's a metal pre-fab.......
=====

WOW, what a perfect location for a stove...

First I apolize for my non existant skills with photo editing
Many here may disagree but,

With out a doubt this is what I would do

I would add in what ever code requires for support for ceiling and install a Lopi endeavor size, or larger stove of you choice to the existing chimney

Attachments

• fireplace (Medium).jpg
    fireplace (Medium).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 440
WidowMaker said:
Lisa*Ann said:
=====

I would add in what ever code requires for support for ceiling and install a Lopi endeavor size, or larger stove of you choice to the existing chimney

I'm laughing my head off right now at that picture!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Loco Gringo said:

This is the greatest search tool ever, I used it this morning and found a few stoves that I'm calling about today. Thanks!

And thank you to everyone for your kind replies. This whole thing just makes my head hurt, and my husband is not really interested in dealing with it, so I'm kinda on my own to find us a stove. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

I am going to get one very soon, hopefully in the next few days or so, and then I guess I'll take my time and search for a deal on pipe and worry about installation later. I"m a prepper, so this stove is on the top of my list for survival gear. I believe there is a time, very soon, when we won't have electricity and I don't plan on freezing to death.

There is some sort of flue above the wood fireplace. What kind is it? Maybe it is good enough for a new wood stove or insert, so you will only need the stove or inset, not the liner and liner installation.

Try to get a good look at the bottom of the liner where the fireplace connects, and measure the flue (diameter). Post what you find and if you get replies from here that it seems OK, have a qualified chimney sweep who does installs out to look at it and clean it. That is how I verified that my existing flue was OK.

Lisa*Ann said:
And thank you to everyone for your kind replies. This whole thing just makes my head hurt, and my husband is not really interested in dealing with it, so I'm kinda on my own to find us a stove. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

I am going to get one very soon, hopefully in the next few days or so, and then I guess I'll take my time and search for a deal on pipe and worry about installation later. I"m a prepper, so this stove is on the top of my list for survival gear. I believe there is a time, very soon, when we won't have electricity and I don't plan on freezing to death.

Keep in mind to make sure the inside of the stove is in good condition and that the stove is epa rated. Decide whether you want a cat stove or a secondary burn stove.. Cats excel at long burns and you can choke them down and secondary burns are great at fast heating.. They are both good choices just make sure it's not an old smoke dragon...

Ray

I looked around at the inserts listed in the GA area and didn't see anything special. Also, you can't just put in any old insert in there. It needs to be approved for installation in a ZC fireplace. Did you get the make/model of your unit? Door opening height?

Lisa*Ann said:
WidowMaker said:
Lisa*Ann said:
=====

I'm laughing my head off right now at that picture!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

===

Glad ya got a kick out of it...actually it a non picture, but thats is exactly what I would do...

YOu can still get a 30 for $669 and free delivery. Just plug in different zip codes on the home depot site. Several people have done it in the last few weeks. I got mine a week ago. $669 + Tax $709 total with tax delivered to your door.
I would recommend the 30 over the 13 as there is only about $100 difference in the price and the 30 is twice as big,will heat twice as much space,for twice as long IMO.

I am a prepper also. That changes things in my mind. The first thing is do not go to small you can always build a small fire in a stove but the stove will only be able to heat so much especially if you want to make this your sole heat source in future. With that in mind I would stay with the englander 30 or a stove of that size.
Your fireplace is an good spot for the new stove. As many here have said you have to investigate this fireplace and find out all you can. What size is the flue [inside chimney diameter], what are the dimensions of the opening without the fireplace in it? I am thinking you might be able to put the stove right inside. There would only be one side that looked great as the backside would show in kitchen but you could just put a screen there. Main thing is this spot would distribute the heat very efficiently. We will wait for your measurements. Best of Luck.

WidowMaker said:
Lisa*Ann said:
=====

Well... it's far from perfect, but this is what I managed to come up with using a Lopi Endeavor...

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 391
  • fireplace (Medium).jpg
    fireplace (Medium).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 398
Status
Not open for further replies.