I"m Clueless & Need Help Buying Wood Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Youre off to a great start Lisa, and it didnt take long. Now sit back and take it one step at a time. You have several months to get the install done. Start splitting wood pronto. Im a major prepper too btw. I wont count on anyone to take care of us. Its not in my rebel blood.

Loco Gringo said:
Youre off to a great start Lisa, and it didnt take long. Now sit back and take it one step at a time. You have several months to get the install done. Start splitting wood pronto. Im a major prepper too btw. I wont count on anyone to take care of us. Its not in my rebel blood.

I'm soooooo excited now! I even have some money left over to start buying some pipe too! Thank you guys so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate this. I never would have known about the home depot thing if I hadn't come here. What a blessing!!!!!!!!

Good to meet another prepper here, sounds like there is a bunch of us around, growing in numbers by the day!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
He can live in that 30 in the off season.

:lol: Mind reader. I was just thinking last night of posting that the 30 would make a good spare bedroom in your place.

Lisa, with the tax credit last year, we were able to pull the chimney supplies in for under $450 including the box. We ran up about 20'. It can be done :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Lisa, with the tax credit last year, we were able to pull the chimney supplies in for under $450 including the box. We ran up about 20'. It can be done :)

What's a box? Now that I bought the stove, what do I put under it? We have carpet on the floor. I have 2 handymen coming over this week to give me a quote on installation. They both said around $300.00 - $500.00 for labor, that does not include materials.

BrotherBart said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
He can live in that 30 in the off season.

:lol: Mind reader. I was just thinking last night of posting that the 30 would make a good spare bedroom in your place.
'

:lol: Yeah, it's not much smaller than my bedroom. The boy got the bigger space in an effort to keep my living room star wars and hot wheels free. Didn't work.

Congrats on the purchase Lisa Ann! Worse case scenario and the stove isn't right for you put in on craigslist and probably make a little cash.

Lisa*Ann said:
Loco Gringo said:

I'm soooooo excited now! I even have some money left over to start buying some pipe too! Thank you guys so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate this. I never would have known about the home depot thing if I hadn't come here. What a blessing!!!!!!!!

Good to meet another prepper here, sounds like there is a bunch of us around, growing in numbers by the day!

What ya preppin for Armageddon? You're gonna need more than a woodstove lol... Nobody wants to fight USA cuz we buy EVERYTHING from EVERY other country.. Sad but true!

Ray

Lisa*Ann said:

What's a box? Now that I bought the stove, what do I put under it? We have carpet on the floor. I have 2 handymen coming over this week to give me a quote on installation. They both said around $300.00 - $500.00 for labor, that does not include materials.

The "box" is the double insulated thingy ;-) you'll be putting through the ceiling or wall, so as not to ignite wood other than in your stove. Keep studying, Lisa, you are doing an awesome job !! :)

raybonz said:
Lisa*Ann said:
Loco Gringo said:

What ya preppin for Armageddon? You're gonna need more than a woodstove lol... Nobody wants to fight USA cuz we buy EVERYTHING from EVERY other country.. Sad but true!

Ray

Prepping for the Great Tribulation, but if you don't want me to get started with a sermon, don't ask cause I can go on all day long! LOL!!!!

Lisa*Ann said:

The "box" is the double insulated thingy ;-) you'll be putting through the ceiling or wall, so as not to ignite wood other than in your stove. Keep studying, Lisa, you are doing an awesome job !! :)

How about underneath the stove? Do I need to put down tile or something? I have carpet down.

Lisa*Ann said:
raybonz said:
Lisa*Ann said:
Loco Gringo said:

Ray

Prepping for the Great Tribulation, but if you don't want me to get started with a sermon, don't ask cause I can go on all day long! LOL!!!!

Hmmm I have heard that quite a few times and they keep pushing the year ahead.. If one has to live like they are under siege then one does not live at all.. Live for today as they may be no tomorrow and if tomorrow brings fear and confines one to live underground does that person really live? I don't buy into all that doomsday stuff (but hey at least we'll be toasty with our woodstoves lol)..

Ray

raybonz said:
Lisa*Ann said:
raybonz said:
Lisa*Ann said:
Loco Gringo said:

Ray

Hmmm I have heard that quite a few times and they keep pushing the year ahead.. If one has to live like they are under siege then one does not live at all.. Live for today as they may be no tomorrow and if tomorrow brings fear and confines one to live underground does that person really live? I don't buy into all that doomsday stuff (but hey at least we'll be toasty with our woodstoves lol)..

Ray

There is no fear when you know Jesus! But, don't get me started unless you really want to get me started :)

Lisa*Ann said:
Lisa*Ann said:

How about underneath the stove? Do I need to put down tile or something? I have carpet down.

You need to get a hearth pad to place the stove on, to protect the floor. You can make your own using rock wool insulation, bricks, stone, etc...; or if you aren't the do-it-your-selfer type, most stove/fireplace dealers sell hearth pads.

http://hearthclassics.com/classic_edge_colors.php

Mt Ski Bum said:
Lisa*Ann said:
Lisa*Ann said:

You need to get a hearth pad to place the stove on, to protect the floor. You can make your own using rock wool insulation, bricks, stone, etc...; or if you aren't the do-it-your-selfer type, most stove/fireplace dealers sell hearth pads.

http://hearthclassics.com/classic_edge_colors.php

Ok, I might make one out of bricks. What about the wall behind the stove? I have pine paneling there.........do I need to do something with that?

Lisa, unless you are willing to spend a LOT of money on setting that thing somewhere else, youre gonna end up placing it on that existing pad. I understand your situation but I would work on a compromise on the location and save that money. I so respect what youre doing and it will be greatly appreciated by both of you should there be an extended power outage in your area. Or worse.

Lisa*Ann said:
Ok, I might make one out of bricks. What about the wall behind the stove? I have pine paneling there.........do I need to do something with that?

Depends on how close the stove will be to the wall... read the stove's owner manual. It should give you a min. clearance between the stove & combustible surfaces. It should also specify how much insulation (usually measured in an "R" value) is needed for the hearth protection. Poke around these forums a bit & you might find a thread or two talking about building your own hearth.

Lisa work on trimming down the quotes so people don't have to scroll through chapters just to see your response.

Lisa*Ann said:
trump said:
YOu can still get a 30 for $669 and free delivery. Just plug in different zip codes on the home depot site. Several people have done it in the last few weeks. I got mine a week ago. $669 + Tax $709 total with tax delivered to your door.
I would recommend the 30 over the 13 as there is only about $100 difference in the price and the 30 is twice as big,will heat twice as much space,for twice as long IMO.

How do I do this? I selected a few neighboring home depot stores, my zip code is 30513, and they all say $999.00? I'd LOVE to get one for $700.00.

Visit this link and print this add. Take it to Home Depot and they will price match. Lowes price matched it for me.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/618364-epa_certified_wood_stove.html?lref=/home_improvement/plumbing_heating_cooling/heating_cooling/englands_stove_works/?b=England's+Stove+Works

You can get it for 799.

GatorDL55 said:
trump said:
Visit this link and print this add. Take it to Home Depot and they will price match. Lowes price matched it for me.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/618364-epa_certified_wood_stove.html?lref=/home_improvement/plumbing_heating_cooling/heating_cooling/englands_stove_works/?b=England's+Stove+Works

You can get it for 799.

Why would she want to do that when she already got it for $694.00 Taxes in.

Just to say- Lisa and Kathleen- thanks again 3X. Motivation is the key. My NC-13 is on the way, and the two NC-30's are also, for less than $680.00 ea., to the shop. Their thanks to me, I'm passing on to you guys. (even my wife is happy about this.) So- THANK YOU BOTH!

Beetle-Kill said:
Just to say- Lisa and Kathleen- thanks again 3X. Motivation is the key. My NC-13 is on the way, and the two NC-30's are also, for less than $680.00 ea., to the shop. Their thanks to me, I'm passing on to you guys. (even my wife is happy about this.) So- THANK YOU BOTH!

Good. Maybe now you will scrap that BK for a real wood stove. :lol: ..

Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 419
This thread got me so excited I'm about to order up one of those Home Depot 30NCs for myself......oh wait I already have 2 new stoves. Well what the heck can't have too many stoves ya know, unless I run out of chimneys.

wkpoor- no problem with stockpiling. My guy's are already thinking of re-sale.
BB- I want that shirt. And No, the BKK stays. I've bitched enough in the beginning, the damn thing is working pretty good right now. I mean really good. My focus will be on flue pipe for the new box. Pre-plan topic to follow-

hotprinter said:
How about an insert for the fireplace? I love the blaze kings, they really burn long and heat well.
Congrats on the Purchase Lisa... Next step is finding where you are going to put it, so you know what piping you'll need.

Find out the Minimum clearences to combustables and then measure locations you can put the stove while being mindful of air flow. As centrally located as possible.... and since you are going to enjoy it.. its great if its in a room you spend a lot of your time. (at least that's my pref).

Once you locate where you are going to put it, you can price out through roof vs through wall installations. Through wall is easier by far.. but may cost a little more because you probably will need more of the Class A chimney (stainless steel triple wall stove) and that is the expensive stuff.

As for a hearth pad for floor protection, what is under the carpet? Wood, I assume... If so then you'll need to build (or have built) a pad that extends beyond the stove to spec (also specific to the stove) and the tricky part is building the hearth pad so there is an adequate insulation value... This is something that I'm sure you can get a lot of help with here... but as a word of caution.. Usually a simple brick or stone structure isn't enough for a hearth pad because it provides very little insulation value. Often you need to either build a very thick hearth or use something like Cement board or Micore 300 to give you the non-combustible insulation value. Typically about an inch of Cement board and then some brick stone or tile will do the trick. (but it depends on the stove's needs). Micore 300 can make this a thinner proposition, but its tough to find. Also.. if you like stone tiles.. Slate is suprisingly cheap.. and its odd imperfections make it so you don't need to be a tiling Guru to place it... its never perfect because the tiles are varied so it looks like you meant to make it uneven.. LOL.

When it comes to planning for the piping.. a through the wall installation kit at HD is about $299 last I checked. I found this website helpful in getting the stove pipe, and there are some good resources. http://www.hartshearth.com/chimney/default.htm

Lastly.. as a planner.... if you can exceed minimums so that you don't have to rebuild the hearth or pick a new location should you deside on a different stove down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.