I made a new mailbox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
X2pCEbw.jpg

Used a 22" long piece of 8x10x3/8" rectangle steel tube for the body, scrap metal for the other parts and milled the 8x10 post from a locust tree using my lumber mill. More detailed step by step here:

Last edited:
You mentioned the snow plow took out the last one ... this one looks like it can sustain a bit of rough treatment! Planning on flagging or painting the top of the post for visibility?

Our town snow plow driver would consider that a worthy challenge.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Some of the upper mid-west states have special protection for the mail-boxes along the highways ... homeowner supplied from what I can tell. Usually posts with solid fence like structure just to deflect the snow. A more elaborate system...
http://www.mailboxbuddy.net/

What happened to the step by step photos???
sorry, fixed! I don't think the plow is a visibility problem, we never get more than maybe 2' at the absolute extreme. I think the snow just piles up on the sides and eventually forces it over. Hoping I can just stand this one back up.

Is the height of the box opening OK with the regular carrier? Usually they want it 36" to 42". I would be around and sweet talk your carrier. Are you on a city or rural route?

Status
Not open for further replies.