I MADE FIRE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpho

Jul 24, 2014
canada
So my inner cave man is happy and warm....I finished the instal of my stove last night. (you don't even want to know how I got 9 feet of chimney up and installed by myself on a 7/12 metal roof! Lets just say there were countless worksite safety guys who kept twitching for some unknown reason yesterday.)

Got her going with a little break in fire this morning.

Thanks for everyones input

FIRE.jpg

Now where do I put the Wooly Mammoth rug?

Reactions: Cynnergy
Hi Jags,
Yes I am interested in how it does as well!
(just waiting for the first: "HEY LOOK! Morpho's trash can is on fire! hahahahahahahaha.....)

Will know soon enough. We had our first snow about 2 weeks ago and it looks like it will be all downhill as the Farmers Almanac is calling for a colder than normal winter. I split about 4 cords. I have a full 1000lb propane tank.....and I am leaving for a month of tropical vacation....so I am laughing.

Reactions: wpgibson
Morpho,

Morso 1410 here. New here as well. Second burn tonight, slowly breaking it in like they suggest. I am too new at this to offer any advice. Don't let the friendly sarcasm get to you. I just joined but I have been reading the forums on the site for a long time and there is a refreshing sense of humor. Remember "quality" over "quantity" on the "little Morso."

Barrel stoves have come a long way. ;lol

J/K. Looks nice. Good job. Especially that part about not falling off the roof, eh.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
"BrotherBart, post: 1784102, member: 6"]Barrel stoves have come a long way. ;lol

J/K. Looks nice. Good job. Especially that part about not falling off the roof, eh.
roflmao.gif

At least I hope the glass stays cleaner then my ugly BK..lol.

hahaha....you guys kill me.

She has been great so far...fortunately/unfortunately it has been pretty warm out so limited "test burns" have happened. But on the couple of below freezing nights I fired it up and it was great.
Didn't overheat us...easy to start (top down works great...found a use for my old hand plane as a tinder maker)...above all that stuff... it's really nice to watch.

Though I do have a strange urge to put on dirty old pants, a wool hat...maybe some gloves with the fingers cut off and stand over it rubbing my hands together!
Huh...

SuburbanBurner: a squirrel! cool...I looked at that one...I liked it, but the contemporary hobo heater won out.

Well that sure is easy on the eyes. Cool stove. Does it really only take a 12inch log though?

That's the best looking 55 gallon burn barrel I've ever seen! Kidding aside, that is a very nice looking heat source. Enjoy!

Brother Bart:
It was well scary up there at one point.
I had to carry up a 6 foot section over my shoulder....up the ladder...make my way up to where the chimney was coming out of the roof...brace myself and tip the section from my shoulder smack dab onto the existing section, which was almost chest high on me. It had to land perfectly on top or I was going to lose it. (you have to picture me at 5'6" and 130 pounds for the complete picture)
I survived...it survived and I am positive I simply got lucky.

Hot Coals:
Yes the glass stays crystal clear...the air wash seems to work well.

Charles 1981:
Ya, I like it as well, those euro folks have...what I consider...a good sense of style...(heard that on one of those deeeesign shows on the telebox)
Yes..technically you can put a 12" "log" in it...but that is probably pushing it a bit.
I bucked and split 4 cords in 10-11" sections and sure am glad I did as this gives enough room for the air to move around. The few pieces I put in that were longer suffered a bit of sluggishness until I put em diagonal in the box. So, it makes it a great odds and uglies burner as well. I can get tons of that stuff around here for free...probably dump trucks full of it actually.

I know most of you folks cringe at the thought of such small loads, but it is ideal for me actually. I don't want or need overnight burns, My home is small (at least to modern mindsets) at 800 sq feet. I have in floor radiant heat doing the bulk of the work keeping the house at a constant temp. AND!....it means I get to play with fire more often because the firebox needs wood every...45 minutes or so.
Which is cool cause I get to play with fire...and who doesn't like playing with fire?

Bags:
Yup...she is a barrel stove in a tuxedo more or less....
I actually built a "stove" with a 55gallon drum...well it was one of those rocket mass heaters.
Worked great heating my temporary shelter (that turned into a two year temporary shelter) while I built my cottage
BIG though...and I didn't even do the whole heated bench thing and it still ate up a bunch of room, but it kept us from freezing to death.

KAhlstrom-2009-11-25-4.jpg

Morpho,
We get the same questions about the size or length of our logs as well but we love the stove so far. I built a sawbuck with a extra cross in it that is spaced only 12 inches from the end and a strap so I can easily and safely cut down wood that I have to buy which is about 14 to 16 inches in length. The strap keeps the logs from jumping when the saw hits them. I can strap about 10 pieces down and cut them at once. Cutting it down to 10 or 11 inches has not proven to be a problem. The small 4 inch pieces burn just as well as the larger ones. As a suburban dweller I do have to approach this a bit differently. I have bought some wood to get me started and I am gathering wood when I can from tree cutters and small properties that will allow me to harvest some. I think after a year or two or three I will have gathered enough wood so that I can stop buying but that will take time to build up a store and dry it. This is now our primary source of heat. I installed hydronic baseboard radiators to supplement in the bedrooms but our house is small and one level so I think the stove will do it for most of the house. We will see.

I mostly had 8-10 foot logs to work with, but I also had some 16 inch stuff that was donated to me that I had to cut down to size...it was...intersting...
I had a rig set up which consisted of two 4x4's on the ground with two short 2x4's sticking up and away from me. I would drop the 16" log so it was held by the 2x and as I cut into it, the saw pulled it against the brace...probably not ideal, but it worked.
I will need to come up with something different if I get more short stuff next year as it was hard on the back.

It is interesting dealing with smaller stoves compared to everyone else's much larger stoves.
Not a lot of info to go on about how to make it work well...though with that said it seems to be working great!
I am impressed so far and can't wait to see what happens when it gets cold for real around here!

very nice, I can't wait for a review

I see you have a 1410 and it appears that you have been burning a lot longer than I have. Any good tips or words of warning for a rookie?
Thank you in advance.

My stove runs hot with about 14 foot of pipe, 700 on the stove top therm. is normal. No wood longer than 12", 10" is best. Don't split the wood too big and three pieces is plenty. Check your door gasket! I had to replace mine half way through first season. Expect anywhere form 1 to 2 hours burn time, it is a small fire box, however there are usually enough coals in the morning to crack the door and throw in some kindling and you are off.

Email me if you have questions.

My stove runs hot with about 14 foot of pipe, 700 on the stove top therm. is normal. No wood longer than 12", 10" is best. Don't split the wood too big and three pieces is plenty. Check your door gasket! I had to replace mine half way through first season. Expect anywhere form 1 to 2 hours burn time, it is a small fire box, however there are usually enough coals in the morning to crack the door and throw in some kindling and you are off.

Email me if you have questions.
Thank you for the advice. I am keeping it to 10 inches on the logs and I do find I am getting good burn time, or I think it is good. We are very pleased with the stove so far, waiting for a real cold week or two to know for sure if this is going to handle our needs. I will keep an eye on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.