I made the mistake of letting the thermostat do it's setback last night.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
I made the mistake of letting the thermostat do it's setback last night. Now I am sitting here reading the forum nonsense and watching the inside/outside thermometer. The thermostat is programmed to set back from 70 to 65 in the late evening.
The MVAE is maxed out and I am watching the outside temperature rise faster than the inside temperature. It was 1::Fwhen I went to bed last night. Now the outside temperature went from 7::F to 12.5::F in the past hour and the inside is just sitting there at 66.0::F. I had to go check that I didn't leave the door open after I let the dog back in.
The stove is putting out air so hot that it is uncomfortable to stand in front of it long enough to fill the hopper.
Ah movement. 12.9::F outside and 66.2::F inside.
I feel warmer already

The stove is putting out air so hot that it is uncomfortable to stand in front of it long enough to fill the hopper.

I never experienced that much heat from my stove. (Except maybe when I switch to sunflower seed setting)

What are you burning and at what settings.

9* outside,wind is howling, and a balmy 74 inside. Sante Fe is on high. But the furnace did kick in at 5:30 (programmable thermostat), and brought house up to 70 from 62. So it did get a little help. They are calling for -30 wind chills today and tomorrow, so fired up the AE also. lol

Sun is coming out, so will get some free heat thru the South windows.

I never experienced that much heat from my stove. (Except maybe when I switch to sunflower seed setting)

What are you burning and at what settings.
I'm burning LG Granules, an all softwood pellet. The MVAE is running on high heat output (5), normal convection speed and flame height at +1. I have measured output temperatures as high as 325::F with a thermocouple in the duct air stream.

Must be undersized for the task. Or trash pellets.

It looks like still air outside now, but there must have been wind blowing against this side of the house. The MVAE has never had trouble keeping up with heat loss before.
I ask a lot of the stove. It is heating the entire house during the day. The oil heat is only on for the second floor during the evening, and never on for the first floor unless it is below 60::F inside (and it never is).

Is that a tropical breeze outside? 15.8::F outside and 67.1::F inside.

I'm burning LG Granules, an all softwood pellet. The MVAE is running on high heat output (5), normal convection speed and flame height at +1. I have measured output temperatures as high as 325::F with a thermocouple in the duct air stream.

It looks like still air outside now, but there must have been wind blowing against this side of the house. The MVAE has never had trouble keeping up with heat loss before.
I ask a lot of the stove. It is heating the entire house during the day. The oil heat is only on for the second floor during the evening, and never on for the first floor unless it is below 60::F inside (and it never is).

Is that a tropical breeze outside? 15.8::F outside and 67.1::F inside.
Ive heard lgs are good fuel. And 325 Is not bad. Im getting 360 outta mine. Sometimes the weather Is just to extreme and sounds like your stove is doing everything it was designed to. Im not sure but i wonder what the delta t on these stoves are designed at

Harvey,
I'm close to you and I saw -5 very early this morning. I left my stove on 70 last night, I have these window quilts that roll down. The previous owner installed them and they keep the heat in.

Sounds like you need to get something going in the kitchen oven like we do when the house just needs a little more heat. Tomorrows AM planner is carmel rolls for breakfast and apple crisp and lasagna for dinner and that should keep the oven going for about 3 hours or more. Supposed to have a AM temp of -15

Reactions: kappel15
It amazes me what adding the smallest amount of heat via the ThermGuard on single digit nights can do to ensure the stove can keep up. It cycles 10 minutes on/ 1 hour off in a small heating zone that includes 2 rooms and half of the basement. I use it to prevent the pipes from freezing (it's 35 in the basement @ 0 degrees out without it), but it supplies just enough reduction in heat loss to help the stove maintain a 67 degree temperature in the main part of my house while it was -1 this morning.

It amazes me what adding the smallest amount of heat via the ThermGuard on single digit nights can do to ensure the stove can keep up. It cycles 10 minutes on/ 1 hour off in a small heating zone that includes 2 rooms and half of the basement. I use it to prevent the pipes from freezing (it's 35 in the basement @ 0 degrees out without it), but it supplies just enough reduction in heat loss to help the stove maintain a 67 degree temperature in the main part of my house while it was -1 this morning.

Mine is built into the t'stat (LUX CAG) model. However LUX quit making it some years back. Mine is pre set for 5 minutes every 15 minutes and has a furnace filter minder built in count down bar graph to remind you to change the filter too.

Works well, moving the heat throughout the house. I'd be getting ThermGuard in a minute if I didn't have the LUX.

Sounds to me you may have the perfect setup and size. Probably just should have setback to 68 last night and left a cover off when sleeping.

It was -18F this morning our geothermal system could not keep up ( by design ) it lost 3 degrees 69 to 66 at night fired up the pellet stove for a couple hours and enjoyed the fire.

pretty sure you need a new thermometer, moey.

either that or there's a wormhole in your area with it's other end in siberia.

pretty sure you need a new thermometer, moey.

either that or there's a wormhole in your area with it's other end in siberia.

It was -13F at the weather reporting station near me. My thermostat is on my deck I may have misread it by a degree or two but its pretty close. There may be wormhole I wonder some times.

Ran my stove on a rare 3 out of 5 last night, get's near 80f in my living room, it will be really hot in front of stove, the floor get's very warm too as my hearth is floor level tile to oak floor

I'd say you have more of a heat loss issue today than an isssue with the MVAE, Harvey. Mine can get that hot (can't stand in front of it) when burning Hamer's.

BTW, I had been running flame height at +1 on MH, and noticed flame was a bit too orange and high, with stove getting dirty faster than I thought right. Backed off to flame height 0 and marked improvement, including heat output, time to dirty glass, whiteness of flame and pellet use! Amazing what a seemingly small tweak can do.

BTW, I had been running flame height at +1 on MH, and noticed flame was a bit too orange and high, with stove getting dirty faster than I thought right. Backed off to flame height 0 and marked improvement, including heat output, time to dirty glass, whiteness of flame and pellet use! Amazing what a seemingly small tweak can do.
Seems counter-intuitive to me. Shouldn't increased flame height (more air) make for a leaner, cleaner burn? I'm not arguing with what works, just trying to understand the fine tuning of the stove.
I don't play with flame height much, I adjust heat output as weather demands, trying to keep it just high enough that it satisfies the thermostat within some reasonable time (1 hr, approx). I don't like automatic mode because it makes the stove dirty faster.
No problem with heating capacity this morning. I don't know what was going on yesterday. I did take those stupid decorative logs out of the fire box last night. They take up too much of the space needed for fly ash, and they disrupt the flame. I have been burning over two bags a day and the mountain of ash was building a cone around the firepot.
I'm overdue for my weekly cleaning, need to do that today. It's a good excuse for not going outside to plow the driveway. Not that much snow out there anyway, less than two inches.
Peace.

Well, I don't know, but lowering by one has done wonders for my stove.

Got my weekly cleaning in on Friday, but may try to vacuum things out tomorow afternoon as another storm hits. Will be the warmest it will be all week, so may shut down for an hour just so I don't mpneed to do it again too soon. Also about two bags / day, and another 1 - 1.5 in the Whit. -3 or -4 here tonight, and windy. Nasty.

The Quad manual says that flame height is a fuel feed rate setting:

The FLAME HEIGHT ADJUST screen is used to adjust the flame height (fuel feed rate) for specific installation and fuel type. The dealer will usually adjust this if necessary on installation and can advise on specific settings for a particular application

Well, there it is. Not air but fuel. A bit less (for a given a mount of air) and Presto! Cleaner stove, better burn, better heat and less fuel used. Thank you!

That leaves me wondering what the difference is between "flame height" and "heat output". Of course, "heat output" only appears when in manual mode so maybe they are the same thing.
Is there a Quad terminologist out there?

My understanding was the flame height is tied to the feed motor. The heat output is manually modifiable in manual mode and is automatically selected in auto mode. The heat output setting modifies the air fuel ratio to the preset fuel setting. This is why burning wood pellets in sunflower mode really kicks up the stove.

Heat output is how much heat you need the stove to put out. Just like the low, med., high, on the other Quad stoves. Dam cold out, you want it on med. high or high. Not so cold out, you can run on lower settings. Flame height is the feed rate. Same as on other stoves, you set the flame height on high, and it is good for all other settings. kap

Heat output is how much heat you need the stove to put out. Just like the low, med., high, on the other Quad stoves. Dam cold out, you want it on med. high or high. Not so cold out, you can run on lower settings. Flame height is the feed rate. Same as on other stoves, you set the flame height on high, and it is good for all other settings. kap
Heat output depends on how many pellets per hour the stove is burning. That's feed rate, is it not?

Flame height adjustment is feed rate for each setting,when set. Heat output regulates the fan speeds, and fuel consumption, for each setting. If flame height was set too high, and you ran on lower heat output, the pot would overflow. Or we can just say tomato/tomatoe. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.