I May Be In The Market For A New Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
midwestcoast said:
At the dealer, handle (& run if possible) as many of the relavent models as you can: 510, 5100 & 6400 as well as the J-Red 2152, 2153, 2159, 2165.

This shop does not keep many models in stock.

Anyone have an opinion on the Husky 357 XP vs. the Stihl MS 361? Reason is that there is a used 357 locally that is within my budget.

Battenkiller said:
Anyone have an opinion on the Husky 357 XP vs. the Stihl MS 361? Reason is that there is a used 357 locally that is within my budget.

That is a very nice saw. Comparible to the 361. The only reason it did not sell well in my opinion is because the price is to close to the old 372 (which is a lot more saw). If it looks nice and checks out I would go for it. Plan on a 20" bar being the max for efficient cutting.

Well try it out and see what you think. I think a 24" is 70cc territory in my opinion. I should clarify, I'm not saying the saw won't run the 24" I just think it would be happier with a 20". Bars are cheap at Baileys.......if the powerhead is nice then I wouldn't let the bar be the decision maker.

I think I'll take a ride out and check it out. It's over an hour away, but if it's a good one I'll be getting a good deal.

Man, Craig's list is making me go in directions I don't want to go in. I was real happy spending $150/cord c/s/d, but with folks all over the place giving the stuff away for free... :)

Another question...

I always wanted to own a chain saw mill. How would a saw like this do for ripping boards from a log? Anywhere enough power?

In my opinion, probably not. It would do real small stuff, but I think milling is for 70+cc saws and preferably 90cc or so. Maybe Jay or others will chime in on milling.

If that 357XP has a black top, I don't think that was standard. I'd be asking some questions. But the price sure is nice if it checks out especially if he would take a little less.

SmokinJsy is milling a bit I think.

I've only seen it done with saws like the Dolmat 7900 Stihl 660, 80cc type saws. It is not quick. I have worked on portable band mills and they are pretty quick.

Battenkiller said:
Another question...

I always wanted to own a chain saw mill. How would a saw like this do for ripping boards from a log? Anywhere enough power?

70 cc would be fine on a mini mill everything would need to be small....and depends on how much you would be milling.....If you was starting out thinking of doing milling north of 90cc would be your starting point and most go north of 120cc.

HittinSteel said:
If that 357XP has a black top, I don't think that was standard. I'd be asking some questions. But the price sure is nice if it checks out especially if he would take a little less.

What do you mean by the "price sure is nice"? I haven't mentioned it yet. It's $275.

Why do you think it might have a black top? The ad says it is two years old and the guy says he bought it new. He said he needs the $$$ to get his car running. Makes me wonder if he didn't boost it from someone. Ya never know.

I saw a similar add....... it obviously wasn't the one you were looking at. Sorry.

I have never run a 361,but have the 357's tamer brother the 359 & am very happy with it's power, weight, smooth cutting... I think it would complement your 40cc saw nicely. Price looks good if it wasn't abused.
If he bought it new 2 years ago he should have some paperwork around for it no? Even a manual, extra chains, bar-guard... makes it a bit less likely that it's just boosted from the back of a truck.
24" bar would be handy to have around for occasional use, but for weight & balance I'd be getting a 20" (or 18) for it.

Well I just got back... with my new saw. :)

Young guy named Ray, seemed nice enough and I got the definite impression that he owned the saw (cut and stacked wood all over the place) and used it for a while. He had hinted on the phone that the price might not be totally firm, that he might knock something off it if I drove out. He seemed like he could use the money (had Ray Jr. with him), so I wasn't going to haggle with him over the price, but when I went to pay he knocked $40 off the price because I came so far... even though he said he had a couple e-mails already this morning. I didn't mind the drive at all, it's beautiful out that way (I used to live near there).

Came with an extra Husky chain, a new saw file, and a bottle of Husky low-smoke oil. No extra bars, bar guard or owners manual (said he couldn't find it). Did he really buy it brand new for over six bills? Who cares? There is a small chunk knocked out of the cast housing near the kill switch, but otherwise it didn't seem abused, or even excessively used. He had made up a new mix this morning, and the saw started on the second or third pull. How's it run? Smoooooth. Gets the RPMs up there fast, even with the long bar. And pretty powerful feeling, really jumps in your hands when you rev it. Didn't put it through any wood, I figured it is what it is. It'll get me through what it will, and if I don't like it, I can easily get my $235 back. Think I'm gonna like it, though. ;-)

Craig's List... gotta love it.

Will be getting another bar and chain, prolly an 18". With the $40 he knocked off, I'm almost there. :coolsmile:

Congrats! Sweet deal. We all like pictures if you have a chance to post some.

I think you're gonna love that saw. You probably coulda paid $400 for it & still done well on the deal.
You sure answered your original question: "What would be a nice saw in the <$350 range?" Um, how about a moderately used $600 357XP for $235? SOLD :coolsmile:
Well Done.

Beetle-Kill said:
Good Job! If you're like me, you'll still be grinning next week! :)

Hell, I'll still be grinnin' in February when I'm burning stuff I cut myself.

Here ya go with some pics, HS.

IMG_5516.jpg

IMG_5517.jpg

You can see it's been laid on its side for a few fills, but at least there's lots of paint left.

IMG_5519.gif

Here's the chunk that's missing from the cast housing. This kind of stuff bugs me, but I know it don't make a difference to the way the saw runs. Consider it a "scratch 'n dent" special. ;-)

IMG_5518.jpg

BTW, no wood was harmed by this saw in the making of these photos. This is from a small load I had delivered last week, already bucked.

I would have to say you boosted it it for that price. Nice saw. Its for sure a giant leap from your previous saw and hell ya you will love the difference and be curious on going bigger. :lol:
Enjoy having a saw fall through a large log like butta.

I stopped by the Dolmar dealer today. He wants $620 for the 6400. I found the Mikita 6401 on the net for $510 with free shipping. I'll be ordering this soon. I'd like to support the dealership but $110 helps buy the gear I need. I'm puzzeled why Mikita does this to the dealerships. Does anyone know if this saw fits into the Northern Industrial Chain Saw Case?

Needshave said:
I'm in the market for my first saw. I have a lot to clear for a house that we'll be building. Then I'll need the saw for heating with wood that I scrounge or get in log length. I was going to get a Husky 455 rancher. A local saw dealer has talked me out of it. He sells Dolmar, Efco and Jonsered. After some reaserch I found that Mikita saws are the same models as the Dolmars for a little less than he was asking. I'm thinking of going back and buying the Dolmar if he throws in some chains and oil. Models I'm considering PS-510, PS-5100 S, PS-6400.

The 5100 is a great little saw. I think you'll be impressed. Just make sure you have a good dealer who will make sure the saw is properly tuned before you walk out the door. This saw runs high RPMs and can run on the lean side if not tuned properly. Gas containing ethanol could even make it run leaner. I'd have the dealer set it at around 14,000 rpms to be on the safe side.

gator21 said:
Needshave said:
I'm in the market for my first saw. I have a lot to clear for a house that we'll be building. Then I'll need the saw for heating with wood that I scrounge or get in log length. I was going to get a Husky 455 rancher. A local saw dealer has talked me out of it. He sells Dolmar, Efco and Jonsered. After some reaserch I found that Mikita saws are the same models as the Dolmars for a little less than he was asking. I'm thinking of going back and buying the Dolmar if he throws in some chains and oil. Models I'm considering PS-510, PS-5100 S, PS-6400.

The 5100 is a great little saw. I think you'll be impressed. Just make sure you have a good dealer who will make sure the saw is properly tuned before you walk out the door. This saw runs high RPMs and can run on the lean side if not tuned properly. Gas containing ethanol could even make it run leaner. I'd have the dealer set it at around 14,000 rpms to be on the safe side.

+1 and know what a lean saw sounds like before you buy a 5100 they are a hot little saw 346xp is another hot one.

[/quote]+1 and know what a lean saw sounds like before you buy a 5100 they are a hot little saw 346xp is another hot one.[/quote]

I didn't get the 5100. Today Fed Ex dropped off a Makita DCS6401. It's a few days sooner than expected.

+1 and know what a lean saw sounds like before you buy a 5100 they are a hot little saw 346xp is another hot one.[/quote]

I didn't get the 5100. Today Fed Ex dropped off a Makita DCS6401. It's a few days sooner than expected.[/quote]

Nice much more power than the 5100 65cc saw should make you happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.