I might be getting lucky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well it looks like I owe this all to my dog, what a good boy :)

I have 3 huge, and I mean huge black cherry trees in my backyard and they are all "divided" by powerlines. In the October storm of 2006 the lines came down because of the branches from the cherry trees. So NYSEG just trimmed some branches and put the lines back up. Now I have been trying to convince my wife that these trees need to go for safety reasons (of course I want them gone for the wood reason too :cheese: ) I could never convince her until today

My dog ate some cherry pits (seeds) a couple of days ago and I was unaware that this is toxic to cats and dogs. So after racing to the vet and spending over 120 dollars for visit , shot, dog food, and pills it looks like my dog is doing much better. My wife loves this dog and I knew this was time to "strike". I said "Honey, the vet recommends we get rid of the trees" (Now he kind of did.... :) , at least close enough in my book... So it looks like she has taken the bait and I am one day away from calling NYSEG and I think they cut it down for free, WHA -HOO FOR FREE!

It looks like X-Mas has come early this year, but I am not going to get too excited until I talk to them tomorrow. I could be looking at a hell of a lot of free wood, Oh Boy

I will take some pics of the trees tomorrow so stay tuned

JFK said:
...but I am not going to get too excited until I talk to them tomorrow...

Sounds like it might be too late for that, JFK. %-P Rick

My dog ate some cherry pits (seeds) a couple of days ago and I was unaware that this is toxic to cats and dogs. So after racing to the vet and spending over 120 dollars for visit , shot, dog food, and pills it looks like my dog is doing much better. My wife loves this dog and I knew this was time to “strike”.

Heee hee, Horses can die from cherry... just another piece of ammo :)

Hey Dixie, I used to work in Ridge, NY for the DEC at the Check Station for Hunters, man those were crazy times. Much more peaceful here in Western New York, I miss the area a little but I am Western New Yorker by heart

Thanks for the "ammo" :)

Hey black cherry is wicked excellent...so yours produce those real small black cherries too. Some do and some don't.

The 'danger tree rep' from Nat Grid stopped by last week and thankfully will be cutting down a group of willows that have fouled our lines since the Carter administration...and other assorted 'danger' trees.

Many years ago we when out of our way to cut willows as a nuisance tree and now the few we have to hard to get to or close to Power lines. Tell ya the truth I miss having unlimited willow to burn at the right time...anyway Nat Grid will leave all the trunks for me to scavenge starting sometime in Nov. Willow is a good wood to warm the house up in the morning quickly ...not for overnight burning. If you have kids to get out of bed on a cold morning that woods for you.

JFK before you cut them up for fire wood. See if you can sell them. Around here Cherry and Walnut sells good to furniture makers. Then you can use the extra money to but more wood.
Don

I've had success with the 'mountain view' tactic. The first five cords didn't help to open the summer view though. In a couple years I'm going to have to finish the job so the wife can see the mountains :)

Attachments

• pict0012_600.jpg
    pict0012_600.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 281
JFK said:
Hey Dixie, I used to work in Ridge, NY for the DEC at the Check Station for Hunters, man those were crazy times. Much more peaceful here in Western New York, I miss the area a little but I am Western New Yorker by heart

Hey, I've spent a couple nights in the Ridge Checkstation while doing bird survey work on LI...small world.

Ithaca huh! My wife is from Trumansburg

M1sterM said:
JFK said:

Hey, I've spent a couple nights in the Ridge Checkstation while doing bird survey work on LI...small world.

Yep, me too that small back room was my "crib" for 3 days until I could find an apartment

Kirk22 said:
I've had success with the 'mountain view' tactic. The first five cords didn't help to open the summer view though. In a couple years I'm going to have to finish the job so the wife can see the mountains :)

Nice area

Status
Not open for further replies.