I might try a chainsaw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, good point re: the chains. Is that rapid micro in the 1/4" a decent option? It comes in the right gauge and looks like it must be some sort of semi chisel or something.

I ask because I'm still thinking about getting a little saw for the wifey (but I wanna use it too, lol) Do you have a recommendation of the MS 170 v 180?

Running the MS192 with anything bigger than a 14" bar will yield a very poor performance, as a dealer, I always tell my customers to run one bar length shorter than is listed...especially with the Picco chains. Once we jump up to the .325 and larger chains, if you want to run the longest bar available, you should put on a less aggressive chain or you will be dismally disappointed.

As for the 170 vs 180...180 hands down. For the extra $20.00 you get the quick chain adjuster, but more importantly, metal dogs. Bar/chain/engine is basically the same, but the metal dogs are worth the price alone.

I didn't even notice there weren't the metal bumper spikes.

Also, I wasn't sure what the verdict was on those toolless chain tensioners. I know that on Pou...I mean cheaper brands... there have been complaints that the chains loosen up much faster...

The only people that I have had complain about the quick adjust are the guys that really use their saws, personally, I'm not a big fan. But both the 170 and 180 are occasional use saws, cleanup...maybe cut a cord or two for the fireplace. If you are heating with wood, it definitely would not be a good primary saw.

dogsluvtrux said:
The only people that I have had complain about the quick adjust are the guys that really use their saws, personally, I'm not a big fan. But both the 170 and 180 are occasional use saws, cleanup...maybe cut a cord or two for the fireplace. If you are heating with wood, it definitely would not be a good primary saw.
well, I'd like to say that it would be an occasional use saw, as I still love my 028. BUT, I have a feeling that I'll use it for anything the bar fits through. I guess I could just make sure I get the 12" bar and a wimpy safety chain so that I'm not as tempted, that way it could be used mostly by the wife.

If I had it my way, I'd totally skip the small saw (which would be used in combination with the 028), and instead get a 16" bar for my 028, and then go buy a new 880 for my second saw, lol (ok,ok, more realistically I'd get a 361, 390, 400 something in that vicinity and grab a 28" bar for occasional use and use something like a 20 or 22 for normal use). I just don't see that 880 happening any time soon. Just for kicks I'd love to try the 880 with the 59" bar. I have the perfect tree for it.

An MS180 with a 14" Bar, running the .043 gauge Picco would be a good saw to compliment your 028. The only chain available for that saw is the "green" chain, and really it does ok. There are a few tricks that can be done to make it a little more aggressive, but really it would be hard to overwork a 180 with a 14" bar.

Yeah, the 880 is fun...kinda like holding a dirt bike in your hand, but I'm not man enough for it. Throw on a full skip chisel chain and hang the heck on!

Status
Not open for further replies.