1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I must be getting old or something

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by WellSeasoned, Jun 1, 2013.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Over the holiday we were at our good friends cabin in wayne co@ the pa/ny border. There is close to 200 acres of woods, ponds, open fields, trails, with a private lake. It was early so i went alittle over a mile down to the lake for some fishing and took the dirt road. When I was done I took the mountain trail back. Long story short though strapped down, my baitcaster shifted, I quick reached for it and in that split second I clipped a boulder and went flying. I tore half the muscles in my right arm and the nerve by the funny bone. First trip to ER was initial accident. Second trip was for stronger medicine. Been to family doctor twice and the ortho bone and joint doctor. This accident happened on memorial day. Worst pain ever. My arm is half casted, wrapped and in a sling. Hard to believe, but doctor wants to wait 2-3 weeks to see if surgery is needed...:oops:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Wow, that sucks! I hope you heal fast, that would be miserable to be in a cast during the hot summer months.....
    Amazing how quickly things can go south, all over a simple reaction.....
  3. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Sorry to hear that WS.
    That stuff does happen very quick. Never a good time for an injury.
    Heal well and quickly.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    OUCH! !!! <>
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That is not good. Hopefully this will heal but it could be a long road. Ouch for sure.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  6. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Thanks guys
  7. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Wise to wait before surgery, and get a second opinion if they decide to cut. Years ago I dislocated my shoulder so bad the top of my arm ended up below my rib cage. Doc put me on a table, stuck 2 fingers in my arm pit and it jumped right into place. Waited 3weeks for an evaluation. Doc said 30% chance it'll heal on it's own. Never had a problem since.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Get well soon.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  9. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Damn- you are old. That sort of simple accident sucks. You at least want it to be worthy or generate a good story.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Wow - that sucks. You could at least make a good story up. Like fighting with a grizzly or something. Heal well.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  11. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I have a bad feeling I'm going to need surgery, and I'll find out on tuesday. I took the half cast off as I do daily to shower and ice, and while putting on a shirt actually felt a new tear in my muscle. It got cold instantly, no pain, then numb, then a burning sensation. My arm has been swollen for 9 days now, minimal movement of my fingers, but pain has decreased every few days. Keeping fingers crossed not major damage, and won't ruin the warm months. Prayers needed. Thx
  12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I hope everything works out for you, prayers sent.
    ScotO and WellSeasoned like this.
  13. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Wait. Then wait some more.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  14. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    Wow! Get well soon winter isn't too far away.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  15. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Have you a verdict yet? If I helps, I did something similar to my shoulder, lot of the same symptoms. Took a while, but it DID heal, got use back after a few weeks. Good luck WellSeasoned.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  16. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Thx again. I should know by this tuesday what is happening.
  17. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Prayers just offered WS
    ScotO and WellSeasoned like this.
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Major Bummer! Hope the news on Tuesday is good and surgery is not required.
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  19. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    The fishing pole is fine...correct?? Get well soon my friend!
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  20. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

The line broke, that was all. Arm feeling better day by day, keep pulling/retearing something in my wrist no matter how careful I am. Just weird. Ill keep y'all posted, thx I miss cutting wood:(
    Eatonpcat and ScotO like this.
  21. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    If you end up wanting a second opinion, call the local professional baseball team and ask their office who does the surgery on their pitchers. You'll be most apt to get the best surgeon that way.

Had my son do this is Seattle for an arm injury. The Mariners were pleased to share the name, he got a fabulous surgeon, and had a smooth recovery, far better than a friend who has the same injury at about the same time.

The professional teams have so much money tied up in their pitchers that they generally know the best doctors.
    HDRock and WellSeasoned like this.
  22. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Thats a good idea. Who knows, maybe I'll get an autograph or two:)
  23. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

UPDATE: I saw the ortho today, and despite my pleading about getting an mri, he felt it was unnecessary. When I told him I can't stretch my arm that far then he pulled anyway, or don't push there because it causes major pain right here, he did anyway. The pain caused me to uncontrollably kick out the stool that was beneath my feet while sitting on the exam bed right into the doctors shin, while blurting out SH*T. Its absolutely despicable where our health care is going. I worry for my kids future, as well as mine, but that discussion is better off in another discussion. So I have physical therapy 2-3 times a week for the next 3 weeks. Im no doctor, so I'll do as the doctor ordered, however, if it turns out I need an MRI, or I decide to get a second opinion, I may get an opinion from my lawyer as well. Still SOL - WellSeasoned
  24. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    How's that PT coming along, WellSeasoned? Did you get your MRI?
    WellSeasoned likes this.
  25. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

No mri, but doctor explained why one is not needed, and if I follow through with the steps of healing, I should be good, hopefully.... If not, than it will be considered malpractice in my situation possible. 8 weeks of physical therapy, and doctor says I wont be fully healed until thanksgiving. Time will tell... :)