1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I need a bat pole

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by wahoowad, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    OK, bought a bat house to attract bats to my property. Bat enthusiast websites recommend mounting it 15 to 20' up on a pole. I would mount it on a tree but have none that would allow it to get the morning sun they recommend.

I went to Lowes and saw 10' sections of electrical conduit were +$30 apiece. Holy cow. I would need 2 sections but am not paying that much to do this experiment. I tried 1" thinwall (EMT) conduit but it had too much flex to mount the bat house at the end of 2 pieces. I need something more rigid like regular conduit maybe 1 1/2".

I thought maybe a couple 10' 2x4's joined together - that might work and be affordable. Any ideas of other ways (cheaper) to create a 20' pole?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Put the bat house on top of your chimney cap. :lol:
  3. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    String a cable between 2 trees so you can hang the bathouse in the morning sun?
  4. sinnian

sinnian Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Limerick, Maine
    Put them on your house to get the morning sun, and if you don't like that look, put shutters next to the windows that get the morning sun ~ bats love shutters.
  5. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Its behind the bookcase in your library. Just flip the head over on that bust near the phone, push the button and you'll see it.
  6. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    "Its behind the bookcase in your library. Just flip the head over on that bust near the phone, push the button and you’ll see it")

Thank god there is some good humor in all of this. ( I just had a long annoying day) THAT MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD !!!!!
    FINALLY.

Bats are a wonderful thing as long as they are not in your attic.

Mike
  7. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    Or in your belfry.

I put up a bat box and no bats ever showed. I only was there a year so maybe like said above, they need to fly by and check out the neighborhood.
  8. Tessa

Tessa New Member

Loc:
    DFW, Texas
    Seems you and I were on the same wave length with this one.
  9. trailblaster

trailblaster New Member

Loc:
    Loudon, NH & Greenville,ME
    We have a 1/2 mile long frog pond with millions of frogs which also means we have a lot of bats. The smaller common bats will eat thousands of mosquitos in a night and they never bother us.
  10. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    How about using a cedar or locust tree/pole buried in some concrete? 20 feet would be hard but 15 is doable. Or maybe find an old aluminum flag pole for a small house. Also, the electric company in my area just told me that they do not reuse the older green electric poles. You may be able to score one for free if you find the right person.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.