I need a bigger saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandor

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Deltaville,VA
OK guys, I bought another lot next door and its time to clear some larger oaks.

Went saw shopping and noticed Stihl had a sale going on.

The sales guy showed me the MS-310 with a 20" bar, but I think I want the MS-361 Pro Saw. I have always kicked myself in the azz for not getting the 026 versus the 025 I bought, even though the 025 has never let me down, and still runs like new.

The MS-361 was on sale for $529. Included was a case, a 1 gallon gas can, and a bottle of oil. (woo, woo) The MS-310 was over 100 bucks cheaper, 1/2 pound heavier, and makes 1/2 HP less. Both come with 20" bar and chain.

Should I pull the trigger, reconsider the MS-310, or consider a competing Husky model. The women said I can't take the money with me (when I'm dead), and told me to go buy the damn saw.

Lets hear it.

I vote MS-361, buy the best you can afford, you'll always be happy with it.

You certainly won't be unhappy with the MS361. That sounds like a good price too.

If there's a Dolmar dealer around, you may want to take a look at a 7900; now that's a saw!

It can't hurt to look at a Husky either, I have been ogling the 575 model myself for the 30'' plus wood stubs I usually get.

Sandor, I'm cutting with a new Husky 357xp...It's light, rips wood like a light sabre and is the direct competitor for the ms361.All the research I did showed both to be excellent firewood saws...just buy the one from the dealer with the best service.Enjoy the hunt,and if you get it before Dec......it doesn't count as your Xmas gift. ;-)

Also look at the 372 XP. You can pick one up for around $600.

If any place allows to to test saw, do it.

I had the husky equivalent to the MS-310 and I can say I was unsatisfied with the power.

If you're going to consider the MS-310, take a look at the 346XP.

These guys have a good comparison list to compare the two.

http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=58

Don't kick yourself in the azz again- get the best one you can afford and the one you really want.
Just a suggestion- you might want to stick to the same brand, as you already know it and say "always performed".

Also: when your wife says something like that- She has already picked out what she wants. :)

I have the Ms361...it's a real nice saw.

pull the trigger

Ive got the MS361 with a 24" bar and its a great saw, a little hard to start now and then but I wouldnt trade it for anything. Never used a real Husky though, only had a little one.

I sold my 026 to help pay for a 361....................................... BEST MOVE I EVER MADE! I am one of those chainsaw freaks from Arboristsite. I have a "few" saws. My collection includes some antiques, 4 Dolmars 5100,7900 with and without heated grips, a Husky 2100 (100cc) and the only Stihl I still own is the 361. Get a 361 if you want one, like you've already been told, "you can't take it with you".

I have the ms310 and the dolmar 5100. I rarely use the 310. I say pull the trigger on the better saw.

"some larger oaks."

How big?. Answer that question and you'll have an easy time choosing a saw.

Oh, and when the hen gives you clearance to get a new saw....don't argue. ;-)

Titan said:
Sandor, I'm cutting with a new Husky 357xp...It's light, rips wood like a light sabre and is the direct competitor for the ms361.All the research I did showed both to be excellent firewood saws...just buy the one from the dealer with the best service.Enjoy the hunt,and if you get it before Dec......it doesn't count as your Xmas gift. ;-)

I got to this thread too late... I got the 357xp this summer and have kicked myself since I got it...... for waiting so long to get it!!! I have to admit, I had my grandfather's saw (husky 62), and I think I'm a husky guy by bloodline. The dolmars are good saws too, but the remark about the dealer makes good sense too.

Buy the 357 and don't look back - Titan nailed it - light, and cuts like a maniac!

Stihl 440 here . . . Growing up, my Dad always said Stihls were more$ and more lbs for the horsepower, so he swore by Jonsereds. If priced a Husky from the same guy I had already given $4k for a suhweeeet Boss plow, figuring he'd give ma deal on the saw. As you can see, he didn't. But so far the Stihl has been a good saw, though probably a touch small.

Jimbo

I'd always go for a "pro" model.....it's only money!Akin to what your wife said"you'll never see a luggage rack on a hearse".Let us know which model you eventually purchase.

I am looking at the same saws and I'm leaning toward the MS361 after MUCH reading and asking questions.
I have heard that Huskey has power but the Stihl PRO models (like the MS361) have more torque and you don't have to constantly be in the sweet spot.
Just my .02 from what I've been reading...BTW For what it's worth, the Husky site says the largest bar you should run on the 357XP is a 20" whereas the MS361 says ok up to 25"...yes I've REALLY been doing my homework :coolsmile:

It's probably a good time of year to buy one, being near Christmas and the middle of winter.

EDIT EDIT scratch the bar length issue...per ArboristSite this is what I get; "...HUH?????? What does that matter??" & also "Ignore that BS.. it's just about kickback tested options..."

Model Husky575 Stihl440 Husky 395 Stihl660
Size(ci) 4.48 4.3 5.7 5.6
Power(hp) 5.4 5.4 7.1 7
Weight(lbs) 14.9 13.9 17.4 16.5

Appears to my statistical brain, Stihl is better power-to-weight

Oh, and just so we're clear, If I bought a new saw(Would be the 660) before my wifes new cabinets/counter are installed, she'll show me a new use for that saw :wow:

Model Stihl440 Husky372
Size(ci) 4.3 4.3
Power(hp) 5.4 5.3
Weight(lbs) 13.9 13.4

I little better way to do it since the specs you have on the 372XP are a little outdated for the latest generation of saws:

http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=222

http://norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1183

Granted that's the 441, but it's basically the same saw.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and price. I cut wood with several different people, one of them has a 440 and when comparing it to my 372XP I couldn't tell much difference except in the muffler tone when running the saw.

I do prefer the Husky in cold weather as it doesn't ice up as easy as the Stihl, but I rarely cut in the cold.

Just go for the ms460 and be done with it.

The 575xp is the direct replacement of the 372xp; according to Norwalk power.

"The Husqvarna 575XP is our most advanced professional chain saw. The 575XP delivers outstanding cutting performance with it's large 4.5 cubic inch X-TORQ engine. The 575XP is the direct replacement for the very popular 372XP. Many of our customers that have switched to the 575XP have told us how much more "grunt" the 575XP has compared to their old saws."

The only difference between the two is the X-Torq in so far as I seen. I just ordered the 575xp yesterday and from what I was told of the saws, the 575xp also has a Magnesium crankcase, so they are virtually the same saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.