I need a combustion motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stratman67

Jan 13, 2010
Elkhart Lake, WI
Hey guys, I'm running a whitfield/Lennox Traditions 300 that has been extensively modified. Wiring has been relocated, diffuser lens switched to glass, control board is no longer being used as manual settings can be adjusted by the user. Extra cooling and ventilation have been added as well as a larger convection blower to regulate heat build-up on the exchanger unit which is now protected by a cast fire plate rather than the stamped metal one. Disclaimer: KIDS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
This "prototype" evolved from necessity as the non functional donor stove (I "DONATED" $3500.00 to my local dealer) was frankenstiened together one second hand piece at a time in order to keep us from freezing in our own home. I ran it non-stop in my shop the 1st winter and we both work from home so it is never left unattended (Oil backup). The kicker is the thing works way better than it was ever intended to. Until now.
The bearings on my combustion blower (sealed) went South. The factory combustion blower used a Fasco 3000 rpm 60 hz motor w/a counter clockwise rotation. It could be separated from the blower housing and replaced as a component. I believe this system developed about Negative 30 cfm. The motor it was replaced with, bigger badder faster. I don't know the manufacturer or specs as it was salvaged from a box in the barn.
I know the Quadra-Fire 1000 large blower claims 80 Neg. C.F.M., but I don't know it that's achieved by number of rpms or fan design. I can't find specs on the motor itself. Fasco's site shows most of their motors maxing out @ 3000 RPM, but in order to keep my housing I would need more spin. without more than 3000 RPM I can only run the stove on "Low".
I'm looking for any links to sites that would give me the specs on the Q-Fire blower (If I need to tear one apart for the motor I will), or someplace that could supply me with an electric motor to suit these needs. any help would be appreciated, THANKS!

What is on the manufactures plate for the motor (it should be on the motor housing) that has gone south?

Smokey, the burnt motor is one that I installed. It is OOOLD. Found it in my dads barn, has a plate, markings were worn off (I even tried to pencil rub it) so I plugged it into the wall w/a cut lamp cord to check it before installing it. Could tell right away the little sucker was HIGH speed so I installed it with an industrial motor speed control. It has a rotary knob and is mounted on my "dashboard". This worked well, but the body was bigger and a quarter inch longer than the original Fasco. I ran the stove without the right side panel the first year, then made a small standoff to keep the bottom edge from vibrating on the motor when we moved it into the house. Doesn't look too noticeable, but this thing looks too nice and has come too far to leave it this way. I had a feeling that the fins made a difference in CFM, but the only way I can achieve more in my situation is to up the Rs. I wouldn't know how to match another blower (fin)housing to the existing orifice, let alone make all the clearences (less than 1/8" in two places) and still come out where I need to on my rear cover (minor).
I'll check out the links you added after a bite to eat. Maybe Ill get lucky. Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the links guys, they should keep me busy for a while. Cr@p krooser, That Grainger site is better than the "MAN'S MALL"! I just might start copy/pasting next years Christmas list while I'm at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.