I NEED a new saw!! (Update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodydave
I purchased a MS632 a few months ago. Great saw. Just to let you know thw actual wieght of the saw with 20" bar, full gas and oil is 17.3 lbs
Good luck with your decision.

My son-in-law says the 346xp is the saw I really should get.
Light weight, will do anything that I do with my old Husqy 61 & more easily.
Says he used one for years in OR & of all the saws they had, it was most preferred on to use.
I do like the 20" bar, but I don't know if that takes too much power away. S-I-L says even wit a 20" bar,
it will out cut the old (1982) 61 I have.
May have to order it though as right now, none in local dealers/stores.

346XP 20” 11.2 lbs 3.7 bhp $509
357XP 20” 12.1 lbs 4.4 bhp $709

I have learn to just pass up the 50-60cc range and go 70+ cc all the time unless there is a lot of brush. Then under 40cc and very light.

bogydave said:

After reading about Wendell's recent log slaughter and how much he used his 346, there just may be something to that advice. Besides being "enough gun" for 95% of what you'll need, it has the lowest vibration numbers of any of their saws and it's $200 cheaper. You can buy it in 16" and buy a 20" bar and several chains for each bar, plus new chaps and safety helmet for that difference.

I would agree. I had the bar buried often and it just blew (well, not 7900 blew but for 50 cc's, pretty darn impressive) through the wood. It is a joy to run!

bogydave said:
Light weight, will do anything that I do with my old Husqy 61 & more easily.
Says he used one for years in OR & of all the saws they had, it was most preferred on to use.
I do like the 20" bar, but I don't know if that takes too much power away. S-I-L says even wit a 20" bar,
it will out cut the old (1982) 61 I have.
May have to order it though as right now, none in local dealers/stores.

346XP 20” 11.2 lbs 3.7 bhp $509
357XP 20” 12.1 lbs 4.4 bhp $709

I was thinking about this the other day...for the diff in price between a 346 and 357, the 346 just seems like the right choice. I mean if you are willing to spend $200 more for not that much hp difference, then by all means, spend another $150 and get the 372 or for only a $100 more, get the 576. It just doesnt make sense to me to spend so much for so little improvement. If your gonna go, go big or dont go at all....

Anyway, friday is off to the dealer in hunt of a 346. I hope they have it in stock and dont try to **** me on price. Wish me luck.

I think the prices are kinda standard, MSRP set by Husq.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/chainsaws/346-xp-/#articles
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/chainsaws/357-xp-/#articles
What I learned you can do though, is get an extra bar, chain or case at big discounts when
you buy a new saw at list.
At least one free chain or no deal. Works for sure if you have more than one dealer in your area.
But it is that time of year that everyone is buying saws. (like I mentioned in an above post,
they sold out their inventory here 3 weeks ago, wind storm; lots of down tress needed cut off ROWs & utilities)
(Like in the spring, It's the wrong time to buy a boat & try to deal)
Hopefully I "jump off" deciding this week & get one ordered or buy off the shelf & get to work getting 2012 wood.

yeah I figured I would likely pay full price given the time of year it is. I didnt know if dealers tried to price gouge (sp?) when the demand was high. Hopefully I can get a loop of chain or a t-shirt outta the deal though.

Having to order a saw isn't really that out of the ordinary. Alot of places don't carry all of the saws. And the ones they do carry, they can't keep alot of them on hand. I had to order my Stihl 390 and it only took a few days to get here. See if you can get something free out of the deal though. Stihl didn't give me s**t. I even had to buy the stupid scabbard extension for the 20" bar.

There is another option if you'd prefer the 60cc power and it's only the price diff that puts you off. The 359 is essentially a de-tuned 357XP (at $160 discount). Construction is nearly identical except: 357XP has a domed piston, a bit smaller bore & crankcase fillers. The 359 has flat-top piston, larger bore and (the big difference) a Catalytic Muffler. The Cat muffler is the main reason for the 359 showing 0.5hp less than the 357; a result of the exhaust being restricted. So after break-in you can buy a non-cat muffler from Baileysonline or somewhere for about $40, or find a used one cheaper, then drill another exhaust hole in it & adjust carb tuning (all easy with instructions on arboristsite or from folks here). That should get you a ~4.3-4.5hp pro-grade saw with $100 or so still in your pocket. If you need service, just switch back to the Cat muffler before taking it in.

Why doesn't the 357XP have similar muffler issues?

357 doesn't have a cat muffler.
As for why that is, I dunno all the ins & outs of the regs but it kinda boils down to: EPA has been pressuring the manufacturers to reduce 2-stroke emissions for a while, but in the back-and-forth a compromise was struck that they only had to reduce overall emissions, not per saw. So they're cleaning them up a few at a time either with strato engines or cat mufflers. Often the Pro line are the last to be altered.

I don't think my 2004 or 2005 359 has a cat muffler either, I think they showed up right after that.

Just called the dealer today, he has a fewe 346xp's on hand, price is $499. I dont know if they are the e-tech's with the cats or not but the price is matching up with that of the non-etechs. (Provided he gave me list price)E-techs are running list price at $539 I believe. Im gonna try to get them down to $450 or I want goodies for free. Im going to check and see if he has any 359's as well to have a looksie at them. What are your thoughts about the 359 compared to the 346 in terms of cutting ability and pro-grade saw? If I can buy a 359 for the same price as a 346, would you suggest the 359 instead?

mrfjsf said:
Just called the dealer today, he has a fewe 346xp's on hand, price is $499. I dont know if they are the e-tech's with the cats or not but the price is matching up with that of the non-etechs. (Provided he gave me list price)E-techs are running list price at $539 I believe. Im gonna try to get them down to $450 or I want goodies for free. Im going to check and see if he has any 359's as well to have a looksie at them. What are your thoughts about the 359 compared to the 346 in terms of cutting ability and pro-grade saw? If I can buy a 359 for the same price as a 346, would you suggest the 359 instead?

Good question.
Close to the same BHP.
346 is a pound lighter.
between the 2, I like the lighter one.
But with mods on the 359, close to the 357. & 3/8s chain(which now I don't think is an issue for me)

Wish you guys would quit making it so tough.
I was set to get the 346XP with a 20" & maybe later get a 16" bar, but don't know why i need another bar, maybe cause it sounds cool.
the 4" more reach seems it would be easier on the back.
Maybe I should go with the 18" bar (in-between) & get to work. LOL :)

bogydave said:
mrfjsf said:

Good question.
Close to the same BHP.
346 is a pound lighter.
between the 2, I like the lighter one.
But with mods on the 359, close to the 357. & 3/8s chain(which now I don't think is an issue for me)

Wish you guys would quit making it so tough.
I was set to get the 346XP with a 20" & maybe later get a 16" bar, but don't know why i need another bar, maybe cause it sounds cool.
the 4" more reach seems it would be easier on the back.
Maybe I should go with the 18" bar (in-between) & get to work. LOL :)

Im going with an 18" no matter what saw I get. I really think im just going for a 346. I dont see much of a need for a 60cc saw. I plan on later in life buying a good 70 or 80cc for the large stuff and to play with.

Im getting it tomorrow and headin to the woods straight away. I'll let you know how she does.

mrfjsf said:
Think this really comes down to the wood you'll be cutting. If you'll be burying a 20" bar quite a bit, or just need to have 1 saw that can handle the big stuff & smaller stuff fairly well than you may want 60cc. If you'll be mainly cutting wood under 18" then 50cc probably the better choice.

Lucky you
I'm ready to buy & don't have any I can touch & feel.
I might just have to order one.
For that much money, I sure want to look, touch & kick the tires before I buy.
Ordering aaarrg, may still be 2 weeks before I touch it. :(

Well, it was merry xmas and happy-bday for me yesterday. Went over to the dealer, saw a shiny new 346xp 18" bar (non-cat, grey gas cap) hanging on the wall calling my name. Price was $499. I asked if the price was a little negotiable. Said no but ill throw in some stuff for you. So I said lets do it! :cheese: Ended up getting the saw w/full tank of fuel and bar oil, 2 loops of Carlton chisel (these are really nice chains BTW), a file, some 2 stroke oil, and a bar cover for $528 including tax and all.

So I got it home, read through the manual, went out to the wood pile and buzzed off some cookies. All I can say about this saw is WOW! It doesnt compare to any other 50cc saw I have ran! The power to weight ratio on this thing is incredible. Its lighter than my 42cc craftsman. It just flat out SCREAMS! And I dont even have a tank of gas through it yet, I can't imagine when this thing gets really broke in and tuned up. I didnt get to bury it nice and deep into anything cause I just dont have any logs that round laying around. I did get to head over to my buddies farm and knock a few down. I am so impressed with how this saw handles, It honestly feels like an extension of my arm.

If you are on the fence about buying this saw, get off the fence, get in your car and go buy one. You wont regret it...I know I dont! :coolsmile:

Congrats! Glad to see you finally got one. Have fun with 'er, just make sure you take it easy on that lil' gal for the first several tanks and she'll be there for you when you need her down the road.

Kinda like a wife, I guess. %-P

Way to go. Sounds like you got a great deal. I hope to do as well as you did.
Shipment is to be in next week sometime.
20" 346 XPG (heated grips) :) uuummm. thinking about it since I cut mostly in winter.
That's all thats slowing me down, none here in my area to buy "now".

The best deal is the one you can live with, so rock on!

S

Congrats & enjoy!

Battenkiller said:
Congrats! Glad to see you finally got one. Have fun with 'er, just make sure you take it easy on that lil' gal for the first several tanks and she'll be there for you when you need her down the road.

Kinda like a wife, I guess. %-P

When you say "take it easy", are you referring to not cutting at WOT? or not free-revving the crap out of it with no load on the motor? I was told to never cut at anything but WOT.

On a new motor you shouldn't run it at full RPM much with or without a load. Everything is much tighter in a new engine and needs to be given time to break in. This means lower RPM's and less heat. Start out cutting the smallest stuff you have and work your way up. For the first 2 tanks I wouldn't run it at full RPM at all. After that reach full RPM's for a few seconds then let down to mid throttle. On my 390 I noticed a power difference after the first 5 or 6 tanks. Now I run her like a ***** ape and she loves every minute of it. Your owners manual should tell you what to do, but what battenkiller and I said is a good rule of thumb.

It's hard not to run it full out but you'll be glad you did later.

Good luck with it and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.