I need a pickup (or a trailer)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a decent listing of Hickory & Oak on craigslist. The hickory had been down since Sandy last year, the oak was fresh cut ... the oak pieces had to be a few feet in width (would need to be split on site) ... The amount I grabbed was limited partially by the size of my SUV, and that some of the rounds were huge.

I may go back for more of the hickory this weekend ... if I do, I will bring help (and a trailer if I can borrow one).

20131025_144515.jpg

I can fit 3 wheelbarrels full of small rounds in the trunk of my focus. Add another 3-4 if I use the back seat. Add 1 more for the passenger front seat. :p

I suggest a 4x8 or bigger trailer with a ramp. Very versatile. You'll wonder how you got along with out it.

I'd go for a trailer.

Until you buy a truck :p

The biggest handicap that my wife and I currently have as first time homeowners is the fact that we own two small vehicles. :(

A truck is next on our agenda as my wife's car will very likely bite the dust fairly soon.
Now that we're going to be full blown wood burners when our Lopi is installed next week, not having a larger vehicle is agony.

The "free" ads on craigslist like the one you referenced above pains me to read although, I did do what RickB. mentioned above with his Focus and toss a few big rounds in the trunk of car a couple of weeks ago when I found a "come 'n get it" ad on craigslist... granted, my Toyota Yaris bottomed out all the way home, but it was totally worth it.

I use our van (Mazda) and a 4 by 8 trailer. I don't really need a truck because I can't see really wanted to lift all the logs that high up. I'd hook up the trailer and use it anyhow. May as well keep the van.

Prior to the van I used my 4 cylinder 318i BMW. It worked fine for a wood hauler.

I do occasionally use my uncles f350 and his dump trailer or my cousin's dump truck, but really, I like my little trailer a lot and use it the most.

I can fit 3 wheelbarrels full of small rounds in the trunk of my focus. Add another 3-4 if I use the back seat. Add 1 more for the passenger front seat. :p

About the same here in my Lincoln LS...plus some room for the saw. It's totally crazy bug it works if it needs to.

I've guesstimated that I can only bring home 1/5 to 1/4 of a cord in the back of my pick up truck, disappointing amounts in my opinion.......image.jpg

Trailer is the way to go if you are going to haul much wood & do it for several years.
I have a PU, but just load the trailer. It's a good day's work when full.
Up graded to a dual axle over winter & it's working well.. I can haul the atv & a cord of wood ;)

DSCF1607.JPG

Made a ramp tail gate so I can roll the bigger, heavier rounds on & off.
DSCF1673.JPG

I got some bitternut hickory rounds that split like a dream. Dug it out of a big pile of downed wood. It was on a VERY long slope pointing down to the river. All the streets had names like "Running Spring", etc. The bark would NOT let go on a few pieces. I peeled some back and I swear it looked viable, wet and glistening.

I asked the owner when it came down, and she said the big storm here 5/10. Blew my mind. So, I guess the moral of the story is keep it off the ground! Wood must be the original "wick-away" material. ;)

I've guesstimated that I can only bring home 1/5 to 1/4 of a cord in the back of my pick up truck, disappointing amounts in my opinion.......View attachment 115770

If I really load my Ranger full I can get about 1/3 cord on it. I don't mind the number of trips because the wood is usually less than 5 miles away. I don't have a trailer, would love to get one but have other things to spend the money on right now.

4x8 trailer, common 1500 lbs so will do very well for you and those small cars ( work just fine with truck later also). hard part is hitch on car, so you might want to check that out first. Around $150-200 installed. There are limitations with these newer cars particularly with the front wheel drive units as there isn't a lot of solid mounting area in the back due to the uni body construction.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I've had a trailer hitch on basically every car I have owned, including my Miata. Most cars have a hitch available.

A 4 by 8 trailer and a car can hold about 1/2 a cord. Just drive slow and take it easy on the transmission.

I hauled this in my 89' Toyota long bed, only had to 6 miles to the shop.

Attachments

• 100_7470.JPG
    100_7470.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_7471.JPG
    100_7471.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_7472.JPG
    100_7472.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_7473.JPG
    100_7473.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 214
I keep a search going on craigslist for tent trailers, they get ruined by mice or age and the cost for new screens is not cheap. I have two old pop ups I got for free, I just had to drag them home.
I tore one apart, burned the wood (rotten) scrapped the metal ($ at the scrap yard) and built my own deck of pressure treated plywood with wire fencing sides.
I haul my wood home in it, if the frame or axle give out, the frame gets cut up with my sawzall (scrap metal!) and the spare trailer gets converted for hauling.
I also build teardrop trailers so the sink, stove, latches, lights, inverter, etc get saved to sell on fleabay or to use in a future build

Attachments

• 1235124_615210558501565_1138252031_n.jpg
    1235124_615210558501565_1138252031_n.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: Soundchasm
Toyota Sequoia ... with the 3rd row out and the 2nd row folded over there's quite a bit of room. Don't know what the load limit is though
I looked at the spec.s for the Sequoia, you should be able to tow a smaller trailer pretty easily. Single axle rated for 5K or 7K, the box at 5' x 10' with a long(ish) tongue. Stout frame. Removable sides, 18"- 30" height. Plenty of stake pockets on the sides with a 2" x 3/8" strap tieing them together. Go 10 ply on the trailer tires to stay safe.
Size the trailer dependant on space to store it, it could go smaller easily. A 4' x 8' with a 3500LB axle could be just the ticket for you.
With hardwood, go overboard on the axle capacity, seems you could fill a smaller trailer pretty quickly and max. out the frame/suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.