I need a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
The scrounging has caught up with me; as has some other standing dead trees I cut up in VT.

I've gone the used route before...but that hasn't always ended nicely. So I'm thinking Echo or Stihl. I'm between the Echo CS 370 16" from the Depot for about $260 or the Stihl MS 250 for $329. I'd mainly be using this saw for cutting up scrounge wood...or anything else that happens to fall on the property.

the echo is a 35 cc saw and the stihl is a 45cc saw "the stihl ms180 would compare better with the echo" but given that choice I would go with the ms 250

I was torn between a husky 455 and a stihl ms290..

What sold me on the stihl was the simple fact I have a good local dealer..The only way to get the husky serviced was to take it back to tractor supply and have them send it out..

All I'm saying is to take the little stuff into consideration as well.. O and I have had the 290 for awhile now with no problems at all..

I trashed a Poulan and a Homelite before I got a Stihl 026 about 10 years ago. Great saw.

Life's short - drive German cars and use German saws when possible.

Skier76 said:
The scrounging has caught up with me; as has some other standing dead trees I cut up in VT.

I've gone the used route before...but that hasn't always ended nicely. So I'm thinking Echo or Stihl. I'm between the Echo CS 370 16" from the Depot for about $260 or the Stihl MS 250 for $329. I'd mainly be using this saw for cutting up scrounge wood...or anything else that happens to fall on the property.

I have the Stihl 310 & 390 and both have been good chainsaws for me and yes I purchased them from a local shop here.

Zap

Just don't go over to ArboristSite or you will soon be saying you need several saws! ;-) CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) is a very contagious disease!!

wendell said:
Just don't go over to ArboristSite or you will soon be saying you need several saws! ;-) CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder) is a very contagious disease!!

sure looks like the 3 saw plan is the only way out 260,460,660 and a little room to grow if you will

smokinj said:
sure looks like the 3 saw plan is the only way out 260,460,660 and a little room to grow if you will

I believe you meant to say 5100, 6400 and 7900 with 16", 20" and 24" respectively. ;-)

wendell said:
smokinj said:

I believe you meant to say 5100, 6400 and 7900 with 16", 20" and 24" respectively. ;-)

nope I stand respectively with 260,460,660 16,28,36 lol

Skier76 said:

A good saw will last for decades so get the one you really want.

gerry100 said:
I trashed a Poulan and a Homelite before I got a Stihl 026 about 10 years ago. Great saw.

Life's short - drive German cars and use German saws when possible.

I have a 2001 VW 1.8T Passat with 203,000 miles. I have put no money into the motor besides four new coils, plugs and a massflow air sensor that I put in at 160,000.
The front end is built like a tank (no service there either). Nothing has been touched ...clutch, exhaust, turbo. I did'nt have to replaced the original front rotors/pads till 150,000.

WB

Skier76 said:

If a 5100s is in your budget, check out a local dealer. You won't be disappointed.

50cc/3.9hp/11.2 lb powerhead

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
Skier76 said:

If a 5100s is in your budget, check out a local dealer. You won't be disappointed.

WB

The price on that saw keeps rising fast! (great saw)

smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
Skier76 said:

WB

The price on that saw keeps rising fast! (great saw)

Yes it does! I paid $379.00 in May 2008

Thanks guys! I hear you on the German cars....we've always owned one. And I keep a ShamWOW in my Jeep; because it's made in Germany: "You know the Germans always make good stuff!"

I'd like to keep the price around $300...or less. That's kinda why I had the 16" Echo as a choice.

I'd shy from the echo's. Tree cutting buddy has been through several. The new huskies don't have adjustable carbs and are sold in "box" stores. They have to send it out for service. I' wouldn't shy away from a good used saw. There's probably plenty of decent mid sized stihls on the BAY, just do your research. I don't believe I'd purchase one of the newer saws nothing like letting the low end torque of the 041 grunt its way through a big round of hickory.

I'm just leary of used...and inheriting someone else's headache/problem. I've had too many engines go south on used equipment.

The sthil ms 211 getting really good reviews and under 300.00

If the saw is going to be used mainly for cutting up scrounged wood and small trees, I don't think you really need anything more than a 45cc saw.
I know that there are a few here, including myself that have a 42cc Craftsman, and it has worked fine for us...I think some folks cut 2-3 cords a year with them as well. You might be fine with a box store saw, and just get rid of the chain it comes with (safety chain) and pick up a semi chisel at ammicks or baileys online. If you are going to cut 3 plus cords a year with 24"plus diameters, you'll probably need a bigger saw.
Maybe get the price on a husky from lowes around 45cc, and see if your local dealer can give you a similar price i you will have it serviced there.

I have a Stihl 028 Super AV. Never did find out what the "AV" stands for, anyone know? It was bought in approx 1986 in advance of Hurricane Gloria. I am sure of the hurricane but not of the year. Anyway, it has been a great saw, no major problems. I think it is around 45 cc. It has 16" bar. I'm sure it would power an 18" bar. Still using it, my only saw. I would buy another Stihl. I have seen these available at times that have been sitting in someone's basement, virtually unused for years.

AV = Anti-Vibration

As LLgetfa stated Anti-Vibration. Stihl started installing rubber mounts in there housings somewhere in early-mid 80's. Makes the saw much more comfortable. Cons are that they may wear out. For most folks cutting firewood 3+cords a year, you'e not going ot wear out a stihl. Just don't mix your fuel 50:1 like they recommend-"US EPA certification" most of same saw sold in europe spec 40:1.... I'd rather use a little more oil and keep the saw for a long time.

I've enjoyed my MS290 so far and enjoyed it even more when I ditched the safety chain and started to run semi-chisel.

I’d like to keep the price around $300...or less. That’s kinda why I had the 16” Echo as a choice.

That's what I was thinking when I went shopping, and I quickly realized that there is a world of difference between a $300 saw and a $400 saw. For $400, I got a nicely powered lightweight Dolmar P5100S with anti-vibration technology that is great for going through hickory rounds and is light enough for a some limbing activity also. I am using this saw to cut about 1-1/2 cords a year for myself and 6 cords a year for my father-in-law. I wouldn't want to limb all day with this, but can handle a bit of that kind of action with it.

For $300, I wouldn't have gotten anti-vibration, and the combination of light weight and high power. If I was only going to cut 1-1/2 cords per year, I may have saved my self the $100, but I was frankly tired of trying to get anything done with my father-in-law's underpowered $250 saws (which he uses since they are lightweight).

At the end of the day, one $400 saw is cheaper than two $250 saws.

Thanks everyone. I poked around Stihl's site this weekend. The MS211 seems like it would be a nice saw and fits the price point....

Status
Not open for further replies.