I need a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With some advice from Wet1...I'll look into the used pro saws. Seems those may be a bit beefier than the homeowner Stihls. If I go new, I'll probably look into the MS250 and the like.

Honestly, if you're going to spend the money on a new 250, I'd suggest just picking up that new 5100 instead... it's a better saw.

Skier76 said:
With some advice from Wet1...I'll look into the used pro saws. Seems those may be a bit beefier than the homeowner Stihls. If I go new, I'll probably look into the MS250 and the like.
The 290 is a midrange saw 57 cc and will last a wood scrounger 2 life times if taken care of. The problem with a used pro saw is just that, it more than likely seen pretty heavy use. Buy new one time and forget about it

Agreed, although I wouldn't say pro saws on the used market have more than likely seen heavy use or abuse. I've bought dozens that have been very well maintained and/or have had an easy life. I'd guess most pro level saws aren't in the hands of daily loggers.

The downside to the homeowner grade saws (IMO) is they typically are heavier and have less power then their pro counterparts. Also, a basic or complete rebuild is cheap and easy on a pro saw should you ever have to do so for any reason... the same cannot be said about most HO grade saws.

With Skier's current needs, I suspect a HO grade saw will serve him well. I just prefer to buy good tools and buy them once. I also suspect he's going to do more wood processing in the future than he currently is. I know I remember picking up a piece of pine here and there as well and thinking my 60cc Homelite was all I'd ever need... and I'm sure you went down a similar path Smokin before you ended up with the 260/460. ;)

Wet1 said:
Agreed, although I wouldn't say pro saws on the used market have more than likely seen heavy use or abuse. I've bought dozens that have been very well maintained and/or have had an easy life. I'd guess most pro level saws aren't in the hands of daily loggers.

The downside to the homeowner grade saws (IMO) is they typically are heavier and have less power then their pro counterparts. Also, a basic or complete rebuild is cheap and easy on a pro saw should you ever have to do so for any reason... the same cannot be said about most HO grade saws.

With Skier's current needs, I suspect a HO grade saw will serve him well. I just prefer to buy good tools and buy them once. I also suspect he's going to do more wood processing in the future than he currently is. I know I remember picking up a piece of pine here and there as well and thinking my 60cc Homelite was all I'd ever need... and I'm sure you went down a similar path Smokin before you ended up with the 260/460. ;)

not like this guy he is talking price point and that never interred my mind the 460 was my one saw plain and the 260 after thought and still could get by without it. Came real close to going with the 660 but went with the lighter 460 and upgraded it right out of the box. If I had another shot at it we would be talking 361/660 combo. I wasnt worried at all about the money of a saw. knowing that my investment on my furance.It sure is hard enough getting wood when everything is perfect! Going into the game I was aware that my saw needed to be 28 in. that's how I was looking at it

Wet brings up a good point. My current firewood needs/wants will probably change. Maybe down the road we'll get an insert for the house in CT as well. Maybe I'll befriend someone who runs a tree service...you just never know. I know that I could probably get a "so-so" saw and be happy with it...if nothing ever changed.

ilikewood,
I saw (no pun intended!) that one too. I'm kinda thinking once I hit the $300 mark...it may make more sense to just go with new. Who knows though...I'll probably change my mind again. HA!

Skier76 said:
Wet brings up a good point. My current firewood needs/wants will probably change. Maybe down the road we'll get an insert for the house in CT as well. Maybe I'll befriend someone who runs a tree service...you just never know. I know that I could probably get a "so-so" saw and be happy with it...if nothing ever changed.

ilikewood,
I saw (no pun intended!) that one too. I'm kinda thinking once I hit the $300 mark...it may make more sense to just go with new. Who knows though...I'll probably change my mind again. HA!

say it's not so? lol your all over the place whatever you decide I'm sure you are well informed

Skier76 said:

ilikewood,

Say you go nuts and spend $600 and get a 361. Amortized over the 30+ the extra $300 is $30 per annum. Almost free, really.

For the amount I cut this year, I probably would have been better off with a 361 vs. my 290. I certainly don't feel too bad though. I really didn't get into anything that bogged it down real bad, even when I was running the crappy safety chain. I'll probably mod the muffler this winter and see how much extra I get from that. Then, once the boys get old enough to run the saw, I'll give them the 290 to use and I'll go get a 440 or something like that!

I went to a Stihl dealer today after work. I don't exactly like this place (I had a bad experience with them mounting ATV tires for me) so I figured I would go there, handle some saws and no one would bother with me. Basically, that's what happened.

I guess I'm kinda torn between the MS250 and the MS290. The Farm Boss was actually cheaper. However, it was heavier...but it does have a bigger engine. I think the 250 they had the ez start thing, 18" bar and tool less chain adjuster.

As soon as you are feeding a stove at both houses, you are going to want a good light fast saw.

If I didn't like my Stihl dealer, I would buy something else. You might not need them much, but for new chain, or a new bar, or maybe some advice on something, you will be talking to them.
Both of these saws will get bogged down at times, as will all saws of this range. One way to combat that is to buy the smaller bar, 18 or even down to 16" will help with that.
For me, My 290 is about equal to my 270. The 290 is heavier, much heavier, and actually it has lower rpms than the 270. I've done some work to both of my saws, but before I did, the 290 seemed like the better saw, now the 270 is my favorite hands down, mostly because it is so much lighter.
If you don't need a 20" bar, the lighter saw may be your best bet.

Skier76 said:
I went to a Stihl dealer today after work. I don't exactly like this place (I had a bad experience with them mounting ATV tires for me) so I figured I would go there, handle some saws and no one would bother with me. Basically, that's what happened.

I guess I'm kinda torn between the MS250 and the MS290. The Farm Boss was actually cheaper. However, it was heavier...but it does have a bigger engine. I think the 250 they had the ez start thing, 18" bar and tool less chain adjuster.

You guys need to hit the weights a little bit!!! ;-P I've run my 290 for hours at a time without much fatigue. I'm a pretty decent size though.

ikessky said:
You guys need to hit the weights a little bit!!! ;-P I've run my 290 for hours at a time without much fatigue. I'm a pretty decent size though.

Ouch, that hurts. :coolsmirk:

mike1234 said:
ikessky said:

lol thats about right who care's how much a saw weights if its doing the job that you need it to do

mike1234 said:
ikessky said:

I figured you could probably handle it! ;-)

I think eventually I'll go to a 361 or bigger. That will be once the boys get old enough to use the 290 though. For now, the 290 is adequate for me. I'm still thinking about modding the muffler this winter though.

mike1234 said:
ikessky said:

Suck it up, Buttercup! Back when I worked clean-up on pipeline hydro-testing, I carried my 16-17 lb R420 for 12-16 hours every day.

LLigetfa said:
mike1234 said:
ikessky said:

Suck it up, Buttercup! Back when I worked clean-up on pipeline hydro-testing, I carried my 16-17 lb R420 for 12-16 hours every day.
its that power head weight only?

smokinj said:
I don't really know what it weighs. I just googled and found a spec that said 16.5 lbs with B/C. Not sure if it includes gas and oil too. You know how they take liberties with the specs. It's a mostly metal 65cc saw. Probably explains why my knuckles drag on the ground.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
I don't really know what it weighs. I just googled and found a spec that said 16.5 lbs with B/C. Not sure if it includes gas and oil too. You know how they take liberties with the specs. It's a mostly metal 65cc saw. Probably explains why my knuckles drag on the ground.

i'd say that saw loaded and with bar would come in well over 20lb's

mike1234 said:
If I didn't like my Stihl dealer, I would buy something else. You might not need them much, but for new chain, or a new bar, or maybe some advice on something, you will be talking to them.
Both of these saws will get bogged down at times, as will all saws of this range. One way to combat that is to buy the smaller bar, 18 or even down to 16" will help with that.
For me, My 290 is about equal to my 270. The 290 is heavier, much heavier, and actually it has lower rpms than the 270. I've done some work to both of my saws, but before I did, the 290 seemed like the better saw, now the 270 is my favorite hands down, mostly because it is so much lighter.
If you don't need a 20" bar, the lighter saw may be your best bet.

Skier76 said:

Luckily, this isn't the only local dealer. I knew it would be hit or miss, so I just want to look and handle some saws. The next dealer is closer to where I work and is listed as an "Elite" dealer with onsite repairs. I have higher hopes for their customer service.

Hello There,
It's not necessarily about being strong: I'm 5'7, 260 pounds and can bench press 325 and squat 415, but I still choose to work with lightweight tools, equipment, and materials when I can. My hiking gear is all ultralight, my tools are all lithium-ion, and I chose the MS250 because it's light and easy to maneuver.

Would the 290 be a bit more powerful? Maybe, but the 250 is more comfortable and, for scrounging a few cords a year, as effective. No need to get saw envy here!

S

thinkxingu said:
Hello There,
It's not necessarily about being strong: I'm 5'7, 260 pounds and can bench press 325 and squat 415, but I still choose to work with lightweight tools, equipment, and materials when I can. My hiking gear is all ultralight, my tools are all lithium-ion, and I chose the MS250 because it's light and easy to maneuver.

Would the 290 be a bit more powerful? Maybe, but the 250 is more comfortable and, for scrounging a few cords a year, as effective. No need to get saw envy here!

S

Going to duck and run after this...wouldn't it just be easier to try to drop a few pounds vs. going out and getting ultralight equipment.
Reminds me of when I used to quasi race Mt Bikes...guys pushing 250lbs on a titanium frame to shed a few pounds....ok, going to run now... :)

I started it by pulling the pin, but it looks like ilikewood flipped the handle and actually threw the grenade!!!

By the way, I was just giving you guys a hard time about hitting the weights. My body as well would probably appreciate a lighter saw, and I'm sure I'll pay for it when I'm an older man.

Status
Not open for further replies.