I need a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ilikewood,
I know what you mean: a pound on your feet is four pounds on your back, but when it comes to holding a saw up, my weight doesn't matter. Why choose to use a heavier, bulkier tool that will do the same job?

S

thinkxingu said:
ilikewood,
I know what you mean: a pound on your feet is four pounds on your back, but when it comes to holding a saw up, my weight doesn't matter. Why choose to use a heavier, bulkier tool that will do the same job?

S

Just kidding....well, my reason would be financial.
I am guessing you could buya saw that weighs X amount for $500, and by spending an additional $200, you could probably decrease the weight by 10-15%.
Not a good example....but my bike was appx $900 and was appx 23lbs....go up to a titanium frame and headset, etc...would be $1700-$1900..and would save you a few pounds....not worth it in my opinion.
I could lose some pounds as well :)

ilikewood,
Stop being so cheap. JK, but I was thinking of going the other way: the MS250 was $100 less than the 290 when I bought it--I saved weight and money, and I'm pretty sure the 250 will do everything I'll ever need to do.

In the immortal justificatory words of Cartman: "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned."

S

thinkxingu said:
ilikewood,
Stop being so cheap. JK, but I was thinking of going the other way: the MS250 was $100 less than the 290 when I bought it--I saved weight and money, and I'm pretty sure the 250 will do everything I'll ever need to do.

S

and -10cc and that about the going rate 100.00 per 10cc of saw

Just jealous of you guys having enough cash to buy saws every season.....you guys would be in trouble if you did the same with cars :)
just kiddin

You guys need to hit the weights a little bit!!! I’ve run my 290 for hours at a time without much fatigue. I’m a pretty decent size though.

Hey Ikessky, I've been hitting the weights and gym for 25 years and I am now up to 145 lbs. Light is good for me.

The Dolmar P5100S hasn't been discussed in a while - good saw. I was all set to buy the Stihl MS-290 Farm Boss, even with the weight, but after I held the P5100S, it was a done deal for me.

DBoon said:
You guys need to hit the weights a little bit!!! I’ve run my 290 for hours at a time without much fatigue. I’m a pretty decent size though.

Hey Ikessky, I've been hitting the weights and gym for 25 years and I am now up to 145 lbs. Light is good for me.

The Dolmar P5100S hasn't been discussed in a while - good saw. I was all set to buy the Stihl MS-290 Farm Boss, even with the weight, but after I held the P5100S, it was a done deal for me.

lol strap on a 361 weights less than a pound more than the 5100 and the 260 weights about pound lighter not kocking the dolmar but if your going to compare the 290 not the same class as the 5100 dolmar

thinkxingu said:
ilikewood,

S

Well. . . it will have to now, won't it.

DBoon said:

I haven't been 145lbs probably since junior high!

My uncle just bought a Dolmar 5100 and really likes it. I was hoping he'd let me try it out this weekend, but the opportunity never arose.

There are a lot of great saws on the market. I've used Huskies, Stihls, and Johnsereds and can say good things about each of the ones that I've used. Simply put, the 290 was the best bang for my buck at the time when I bought it.

Echo has a 5 year consumer warrenty and havent heard of many people needing to use it.. I'm very happy with mine.

lol strap on a 361 weights less than a pound more than the 5100 and the 260 weights about pound lighter not kocking the dolmar but if your going to compare the 290 not the same class as the 5100 dolmar

I just didn't see the Stihl 260 in the same class as the Dolmar, plus, it didn't have the anti-vibration mounts. And the Dolmar was a high RPM and high power saw, and I needed to cut through a lot of nasty hickory, which it has done very well at. I also though I might be loaning it to my father-in-law (he is 70+, not as strong as he used to be, and can't use a saw long due to the vibrations).

I'm not knocking the Stihl saws - I think they are good saws - but for me, the Dolmar was the right choice. If the Farm Boss had been $100 less than the Dolmar (it was the same price) or if I had been 50 pounds heavier, I might have gone with that one. But the MS-260 seemed a little on the lightweight side for what I wanted it for. I was pretty tired of using an underpowered saw to fight through the hickory, so I bought the most powerful, lightest weight saw I could find, and the anti-vibration mounts were the tie breaker.

I haven’t been 145lbs probably since junior high!

Hi Ikessky, for reference, in 7th grade I was 75 lbs. :) So I'm pretty happy to be where I am at now. Hopefully, you weren't one of the guys who threw me in a trash can now and then, just for fun :)

DBoon said:

I just didn't see the Stihl 260 in the same class as the Dolmar, plus, it didn't have the anti-vibration mounts. And the Dolmar was a high RPM and high power saw, and I needed to cut through a lot of nasty hickory, which it has done very well at. I also though I might be loaning it to my father-in-law (he is 70+, not as strong as he used to be, and can't use a saw long due to the vibrations).

I'm not knocking the Stihl saws - I think they are good saws - but for me, the Dolmar was the right choice. If the Farm Boss had been $100 less than the Dolmar (it was the same price) or if I had been 50 pounds heavier, I might have gone with that one. But the MS-260 seemed a little on the lightweight side for what I wanted it for. I was pretty tired of using an underpowered saw to fight through the hickory, so I bought the most powerful, lightest weight saw I could find, and the anti-vibration mounts were the tie breaker.

i know them 5100 can cut some wood the 260 is in the same class there muffler are just more restricted both 50 cc saws both pro saw. just wondering why you would be looking at the 290 compairing it a pro saw.must be some small hickory to be looking at the small saws?and how can any saw be to light?

DBoon said:

That's odd, considering they are both 50cc saws. And the 260 does, in fact, have anti-vibe mounts. Just admit that you drank the Dolmer Kool Aid

Nope, no Kool-Aid involved. I was actually predisposed to buy the Stihl. I was mixing up the MS-250 and MS-260 Pro. I never considered the MS-260 Pro since the dealer wanted nearly $500 for that. MS-250 is not in the Dolmar P5100S class, but MS-260 Pro definitely is.

I had to go back to the website to sort out all the model numbers. Here was my situation:

Stihl MS-290 ($369) with an 18” bar - looks pretty good, but heavy to me. This would probably only be used for cutting logs on the ground - it would definitely tire me out for felling and just not usable for me for overhead work. With gas and oil, this would probably weigh close to 10% of my body weight, and that just sounds and feels like a lot after a while. However, for bucking logs on the ground - who cares about the weight, and that’s mostly what I would use this for.

Stihl MS-270 “Wood Boss” ($399) with a 16” bar - a little less power, but less weight as well. Also has anti-vibration “technology” (would be nice on the father-in-law’s hands).

Husqvarna 455 “Rancher” ($399) with a 20” bar - a little lighter than the MS-290, seemingly the same power (if you believe the specs), but a longer bar, which I’m now convinced I don’t need and which may only slow me down in the tough hickory I’m buying the saw to go through. Plus, more expensive than the MS-290, and I’m not convinced I’m getting anything better, and maybe getting something worse.

Husqvarna 346XP ($499) - this looks like one nasty little saw - lots of power, light weight, really nice. High price, though, and not sure I really need something this small and light. I’m ok with some weight.

Dolmar P5100-S ($394) - This is the last saw I looked at. The balance seemed really nice on this saw - better than the others. Couldn’t beat the weight, and with great power to boot (the best in it’s class). And it’s got anti-vibration technology (not necessary for me, but a tie-breaking feature). The dealer is 6 miles away from me, and there are two others within ~25 miles should something happen to the close-in dealer. I could see using this for limbing as well as bucking, where I wouldn’t say that about the MS-290, MS-270, or 455, and it’s not the high price that the 346XP is. I think this is the one.

Here was my original thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37803/P15/

DBoon said:
Nope, no Kool-Aid involved. I was actually predisposed to buy the Stihl. I was mixing up the MS-250 and MS-260 Pro. I never considered the MS-260 Pro since the dealer wanted nearly $500 for that. MS-250 is not in the Dolmar P5100 class, but MS-260 Pro definitely is.

I had to go back to the website to sort out all the model numbers. Here was my situation:

Stihl MS-290 ($369) with an 18” bar - looks pretty good, but heavy to me. This would probably only be used for cutting logs on the ground - it would definitely tire me out for felling and just not usable for me for overhead work. With gas and oil, this would probably weigh close to 10% of my body weight, and that just sounds and feels like a lot after a while. However, for bucking logs on the ground - who cares about the weight, and that’s mostly what I would use this for.

Stihl MS-270 “Wood Boss” ($399) with a 16” bar - a little less power, but less weight as well. Also has anti-vibration “technology” (would be nice on the father-in-law’s hands).

Husqvarna 455 “Rancher” ($399) with a 20” bar - a little lighter than the MS-290, seemingly the same power (if you believe the specs), but a longer bar, which I’m now convinced I don’t need and which may only slow me down in the tough hickory I’m buying the saw to go through. Plus, more expensive than the MS-290, and I’m not convinced I’m getting anything better, and maybe getting something worse.

Husqvarna 346XP ($499) - this looks like one nasty little saw - lots of power, light weight, really nice. High price, though, and not sure I really need something this small and light. I’m ok with some weight.

Dolmar P5100-S ($394) - This is the last saw I looked at. The balance seemed really nice on this saw - better than the others. Couldn’t beat the weight, and with great power to boot (the best in it’s class). And it’s got anti-vibration technology (not necessary for me, but a tie-breaking feature). The dealer is 6 miles away from me, and there are two others within ~25 miles should something happen to the close-in dealer. I could see using this for limbing as well as bucking, where I wouldn’t say that about the MS-290, MS-270, or 455, and it’s not the high price that the 346XP is. I think this is the one.

Here was my original thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37803/P15/

I knew you had a method to your madness just wondering what it was around here the 260 pro you can get for 400.00 and the 5100 was 430.00 now this was back in may so i don't no where they are now I traded my 260 for a 361 and got 400.00 back out of it used! just rattle your cage a little. still think you drank the Kool-aid thats funny right there

DBoon said:
I haven’t been 145lbs probably since junior high!

Hi Ikessky, for reference, in 7th grade I was 75 lbs. :) So I'm pretty happy to be where I am at now. Hopefully, you weren't one of the guys who threw me in a trash can now and then, just for fun :)
Goo! :gulp: My son is in kindergarten and he's over 50lbs. We must just make them a little bit bigger up here! :lol: No trash can throwing though. And I hope my kids stick up for the smaller ones at school.

My brother has a 346xp and it is a great saw. My dad runs a Johnsered (not sure of the model) and it too is a good saw. My FIL has a few 357xp's, some Johnsereds, and some other smaller Huskies. I've used all of the and they are all pretty good. To me, the saw market is kind of like the truck market. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all make pretty good trucks and I'll try them all out before I buy.

I'll give the Dolmar saws a look. Sounds like a good number of people are happy with them.

I agree...this is all probably a brand debate over anything. At least I'm not saying: "I'll just save a few hundred and get a Homelite....I'm sure it's similar to Stihl/Dolmar....."

Skier76 said:
I'll give the Dolmar saws a look. Sounds like a good number of people are happy with them.

I agree...this is all probably a brand debate over anything. At least I'm not saying: "I'll just save a few hundred and get a Homelite....I'm sure it's similar to Stihl/Dolmar....."

yep your on to somthing now match up the homelite to a ms 441 or the dolmar 7900

Sounds more and more that the MS250 would be the saw of choice for the inquiring fellow. Wait and watch to get a decent deal on one..........

WoodMann said:
Sounds more and more that the MS250 would be the saw of choice for the inquiring fellow. Wait and watch to get a decent deal on one..........

lol I was just kidding

LOL, I just read through 6+ pages of this stuff, and I seriously have to laugh at y'all. I understand that this is a big chunk of change, I don't make a whole lot of money, so I can appreciate the hesitation when spending that large of a sum on something like a chainsaw. I was lucky enough to get mine as a gift from grandpa when the Drs told him that pacemakers and chainsaws aren't supposed to go together.

[Funny sidestory: My saw was stolen from Grandpa (for his own safety), but later granted as a gift. Dad borrowed Grandpa's Stihl (don't remember model #, but it had 16" bar on it) and just kept it around his house because he didn't want Grandpa using it like we knew he would. Well, I'm on the phone with grandma one day and I asked to talk to Grandpa. She walked around the house looking for him; suddenly she says that she hears my dad outside and looks out the window of the kitchen. My 80 year old grandpa (not my dad) is standing in the loader of the John Deere Backhoe/loader (used a ladder to get into the bucket) and is trimming a tree above his head. Until then everyone had forgotten that grandpa had another Stihl. I had to call Dad to get over to the farm and take it from him. My grandpa can't sit still even though his arthritis and heart are so bad the doctors wonder how he can make it out of bed.]

Anyway, I love my Stihl 028WB, I've run a few different NEWer Farm Boss saws of different sizes, and also some cheaper saws like Poulan and the like. Everytime I see one of those fancy nice looking new 22" Poulans in a store I start wondering if it's worth the $150 bucks or whatever, then I remember how many problems my neighbors have with theirs and that they only use it a couple times a year to cut up fallen branches, or something of that nature.

My point is this. I've seen more suggestions on these pages than I can count on my fingers and toes, and I bet you'd be happy with any of them. Just jump in already, and get your new saw to some wood. These guys here know too much for their own good, and will keep you second guessing for the rest of your life, lol!!!!!

PS - I'm a tall lanky guy, weighing in at around 165-175 (at 6'2") depending on how much wood I'm splitting or how many miles I've been running. I may look like a twig, but I didn't see a saw mentioned that I couldn't run all day long. well, assuming that the chain is good and the saw runs. nothing beats you down faster than having to push a saw through wood and having to work hard to pull start it.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a 12" electric deal from wal-mart (remington) and for some reason, when I use it for more than an hour I always end up with sore hands the next day. Something about how I have to grip the safety on it and manually oil it, I dunno, but takes more work sometimes than a nice big saw!

Skier76 said:

Homelite=Chicom At least the newer ones. (no offense intended to anyone on the forum)

I have the bug to get a bigger saw and was looking at Homelite and Echo at Home Depot yesterday. I was just comparing, but was not impressed with either one. The Echo was "made in the US of US and imported components".

My local hardware sells Husqvarna. I am stopping there today and will probably get one.

My motto is: Buy local from someone who can provide good service. Pay extra if needed.

smokinj said:
WoodMann said:

lol I was just kidding

No, really. I tell myself that someday I'll have a MS250..................

Status
Not open for further replies.