I need advise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKay

Jan 21, 2008
SW. Pennsylvania
I am new to the site, so bear with me. My home is a two story, about 2400 sq. ft. plus 1200 sq. ft. semi finished basement. We bought the house 2 years ago and I am trying to make it more efficient. The existing attic insulation was R-19 I added to total R-38. I have put new weather stripping on all the windows. The house has oil heat and one masonry fireplace. Last year I used about 700 gal. of oil. I want to add a wood burning insert to the fireplace, deciding between Hampton and Jotul. This is not the best place for circulating heat throughout the rest of the house. I would also like to add something to the basement as well, but the entire basement is below grade, so I was leaning towards a pellet stove down there to avoid a chimney. I would also like to add an efficient wood burning fireplace to our living room on an exterior wall. I was looking at a Lennox. The price of oil is ridiculous and I need to look into alternatives. I am planning to switch out the air-conditioning unit for a heat pump in the spring. Any other suggestions or comments?

I don't know the layout of your home, but if you can locate a stove centrally in the home, maybe you won't need to shell out the cash for 2 and an additional fireplace.

Any chance you can get us a floorplan? It's easier to visualize and help you decide where you'd be best served putting the stoves.

i too was thinking of pellet stove in the basement 1/2 of my basement is finshed and since i got wood stove upstairs heat is not commingto much on so like to heat basement with pellet stove when we are down there.so to not have to run huge pipe up to roof top.

Status
Not open for further replies.