I Need an Automatic 4-way Mixing Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenaliChuck

Mar 25, 2008
South Central Colorado
My present system consists of primary/secondary loops connected with a Grundfos UP26-64F and a Tekmar 017 manual 4 way valve.

In order to be able to use storage heat at variable temperatures (115-185*) I need to replace the Tekmar valve with an automatic 4 way valve.

Any recommendations on what to use?

Thanks!

DC

Attachments

• Current System 4-5-08.jpg
    Current System 4-5-08.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 603
  • Pump - Mixing Valve (2).jpg
    Pump - Mixing Valve (2).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,899
DenaliChuck said:
My present system consists of primary/secondary loops connected with a Grundfos UP26-64F and a Tekmar 017 manual 4 way valve.

In order to be able to use storage heat at variable temperatures (115-185*) I need to replace the Tekmar valve with an automatic 4 way valve.

Any recommendations on what to use?

Bolt a Tekmar 741 actuator onto that valve.

Depending upon exactly what you're trying to do, Tekmar has a variety of electronic controls (setpoint, reset, etc.) to operate the actuator.

Joe

All I need is for the mixing valve to automatically adjust flows to provide 100*-120* to the secondary loop which supplies the radiant floor heat for the house.

Do I understand this right that if I bolted a 741 actuator on, I'd need a Tekmar electronic control to sense the output temperature and tell the actuator to make an appropriate adjustment?

Is there a less expensive, simpler method? I was wondering about whether a thermostatic mixing valve could do the job?

Thanks,

DC

DenaliChuck said:
All I need is for the mixing valve to automatically adjust flows to provide 100*-120* to the secondary loop which supplies the radiant floor heat for the house.

Do I understand this right that if I bolted a 741 actuator on, I'd need a Tekmar electronic control to sense the output temperature and tell the actuator to make an appropriate adjustment?

That's correct. The actuator and the control module are two separate components.

Sounds like you're looking for a mixing control. You can go simple or complex with that. For example, a Tekmar 362 would operate a valve, and adjust for outdoor and indoor conditions, using the appropriate sensors A Tekmar 153 would provide basic mixing, to maintain a set delivery temperature.

DenaliChuck said:
Is there a less expensive, simpler method? I was wondering about whether a thermostatic mixing valve could do the job?

You'd have to check pricing. Since you already have the valve in there, and would have to re-pipe to install something else, chances are that adding an actuator and a mixing control would be your best bet. No way to tell unless you price it.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.