I need an opinion from a HVAC tech.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.E S4

Nov 28, 2012
If you're a HVAC tech please chime in.

I have a central air with heat and ac that is on a wi-fi thermostat. I like the convenience that can adjust the setting if needed from my phone or pc.

I have a 25 PDVC that I've just installed a programmable thermostat. I used this stove a lot to supplement my central heat.

I would like to intall a wi-fi thermostat on it as well but I don't have a common wire from the stove.

Can I tap the common wire from my central air?

I was thinking until just a moment ago that it could be done, though counter indicated, but now I'm against it. It could be done by bringing both neutral and common, then running neutral and a switch to the new furnace, but there are ground loops and possible differences in phase and whatnot. I wouldn't do it.
Btw, I'm not an hvac or anything, I'm a mechanical engineer (jack of all trades).

I was thinking until just a moment ago that it could be done, though counter indicated, but now I'm against it. It could be done by bringing both neutral and common, then running neutral and a switch to the new furnace, but there are ground loops and possible differences in phase and whatnot. I wouldn't do it.
Btw, I'm not an hvac or anything, I'm a mechanical engineer (jack of all trades).

Problem solved. I just found out that Hunter wi-fi thermostat does not need a C wire, it's battery powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.