1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I need an opinion from a HVAC tech.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by N.E S4, Feb 10, 2013.

1. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

If you're a HVAC tech please chime in.

I have a central air with heat and ac that is on a wi-fi thermostat. I like the convenience that can adjust the setting if needed from my phone or pc.

I have a 25 PDVC that I've just installed a programmable thermostat. I used this stove a lot to supplement my central heat.

I would like to intall a wi-fi thermostat on it as well but I don't have a common wire from the stove.

Can I tap the common wire from my central air?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I was thinking until just a moment ago that it could be done, though counter indicated, but now I'm against it. It could be done by bringing both neutral and common, then running neutral and a switch to the new furnace, but there are ground loops and possible differences in phase and whatnot. I wouldn't do it.
    Btw, I'm not an hvac or anything, I'm a mechanical engineer (jack of all trades).
  3. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

Problem solved. I just found out that Hunter wi-fi thermostat does not need a C wire, it's battery powered.