I need help, advice, or maybe just a hug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
where are you at in western PA? I'm in Beaver Falls. I have heard that it is a really good economic move to burn coal around here...

I fear that with the recent minning disasters, Coal will not be as cheap after aditional safety regs. Plus we are competing with Pacific basin buyers. Here is an example. A gallon of Anti freeze sell for $20 in India $ 4 in USA. Guess where the manufactures would rather sell where they can maxumise profits. If My wood were not free I would have considered coal. I have an endless supply but quite a bit of hard work

When it comes to solid fuel heating; wood vs. coal, people heat with different things for different reasons, for some price is most important, for others using renewable resources is most important, and there are thousands of other reasons why people choose one over the other. for me, price is important, work is not, and, after having spent time in germany, eastern europe, and scotland i actually like the smell of coal as well as the way it burns and the look of a coal fire.

I do disagree with any notion that coal prices will increase much, sure they will go up, but i will still be able to purchase a ton of coal cheaper than a ton of sand or gravel. (im talking about bituminous coal, anthricite is much more expensive; although still a good choice to heat with and very price competative with other fuels when you consider how cleanly it burns) The United States is the Saudi Arabia of coal; we have almost a third of the worlds coal (and 3/4 of the worlds oil shale). The price of coal will stay low when compared to other fuels for the distant future irregardless of how much coal china and southeast asia import.

btw, i want to know where you found that $4.00/ gallon antifreeze. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.