I NEED HELP! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monikkib

May 15, 2007
We have a free standing fireplace and we need to replace the support box. It has rusted and in one section there is a hole in the box. Have not had any luck so far with the few fireplace repair companies that are in our area. Have been trying to find a support box online and have found some but don't know how to figure out what size box we would need. The one we have now is a square box aboujt 18x18. If anyone could lead us in the direction to try to fix this would be greatly appreciated!!! The support box we have now is also a flush box the bottom of the box.Thank You!

It is hard to recomend an exact fit for your situation. In most cases the rusted out setup is removed and replaced with a new unit..

Clearances to combustiables could be part of the problem. Codes have changed since your original setup was installed.

what dept is your unit?

Take the box to a local metal fab shop. They should be able to duplicate it. Also check out the rest of the stove. If the pedestal box is rusted, there is probably more elsewhere. Be safe and have a chimney sweep check it out.

Be careful here. If the chimney is air cooled you'll want ot replace it with original parts only since the support boxes often had adapters incorporated into them that allow the flow of air to be continuous. And as Todd mentioned you really need to do a thorough inspection of the entire system, if the support box is rusted that usually points to other problems.

The rust problem we believe stems from our previous roof. Before the roof was replaced if it would rain hard we would have water drizzle down the side of the chimney. My father in law had this house built and told us that was always a problem that it was hard to get a good seal. We had the roof replaced and had the same problem once but the roofer came out and sealed around the chimney on the roof real well because we have not had that problem since then. So the support box damage has been from years of this problem we think. I've called the company that made the fireplace and they were not much help. I guess it's just the it's older and trying to find a replacement seems next to impossible. I have included some pictures and if you have any more suggestions we would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• fireplace 006.jpg
    fireplace 006.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 230
Certainly looks like Dura Vent, which would make sense since there were only a fee companies around back then that made such things. The company that made the fireplace (malm?) should know the brand names of chimney that were usually used. Again, my guess is Dura - check out their catalogs online and see if something matches the dimensions.

If you really get stuck, you should replace the whole chimney. Chances are that it is near the end of it's design life (20-30 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.