I need help identifying a few trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
20140223_154634.jpg 20140223_144802.jpg20140223_144832.jpg20140223_144924.jpg20140223_154927.jpg
In Mississippi if that helps any. Tia

I'll take a stab...
1. I dunno
2. likewise
3. poison ivy growing on some tree I dunno the name of....but maybe white oak
4. some kind of hickory - maybe pignut
5. looks like some kind of maple

#1 My guess Gum(really do not know)
#2 Cherry
#3 Hickory
#4 White Oak
#5 Soft Maple.

Bark id alone is pretty difficult. #1 is almost certainly walnut. #2 most likely cherry. The rest I need more info else I'm just completely guessing

Picks of Canopy or at least some foliage needed

If your on a flood plain: My guess
black gum - sickly subcanopy tree
black cherry
black gum with poison ivy vine - growing well as canopy tree
swamp chestnut oak or white oak: acorns - 12 grams vs. 3-5 grams usually found under leaf litter unless the hogs already discovered them
red maple or swamp red maple

If your on a flood plain: My guess
black gum - sickly subcanopy tree
black cherry
black gum with poison ivy vine - growing well as canopy tree
swamp chestnut oak or white oak: acorns - 12 grams vs. 3-5 grams usually found under leaf litter unless the hogs already discovered them
red maple or swamp red maple

I could see #3 as gum as well. Wasn't thinking that but it sure is a strange look for Hickory.

Last edited:
"Picks of Canopy or at least some foliage needed"

I could see #3 as gum as well. Wasn't thinking that but it sure is a strange look for Hickory.

Rub the bark, if soft, small pieces will rub off like the other soft barked gums. I like to describe hickory bark as tight and hard.

The second one I would say is black cherry as I do not know any other tree that has bark similar to it. I am three states to the north though so I have no idea what kind of "tropical" trees grow your way.

image.jpg I cut up some of #5 today. Sure does split good. Very pretty wood. You guys say maple huh?

Yepper

Thanks for clarifying. I'm still learning the trees. Until I got the stove this year pretty much all I knew was oak. Came up with a fireplace in the house and wood didn't necessarily have to be seasoned to burn. I found out real quick this year I better find some wood that'll season much quicker. I have a couple years worth of oak but it'll need to set a couple years.

1. Maybe a Hawthorne?
2. Black Cherry
5. Does look like soft maple.

Silver Maple...softer of the Maple, but still good wood

Hawthorne isn't all that special. It seems soft, very moist, and everyone I've cut has had ants living inside of it. This was on a fence line I was clearing for my uncle. The trees were not all that old or large and they seemed healthy so the ant thing had me baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.