I Need Help With A Hearthstone Door Adjustment.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Thanks in advance..

My Mansfield door needs adjusted. When I try to close it, the latch hits below where it is suppose to go in. I have to lift the latch side (left ahnd side) of the door up in order to get the latch to engage. It's no huge deal, but it is annoying. I can't see any obviouse way to adjust it. Any help?? Thanks - Chris

Here's a bump. I don't see any adjustment at all in the hearthstone hinges. I have some slop in mine that allows about 3/16" slop up and down at the latch on the front door. Since I open it about once a month it's not a big deal.

See if you can get some small washers & shim the door hinge blocks up a bit.
Most of the Hearthstone stoves come with spacers for the doors to make
up for irregularities in the castings.

I've heard this before daksy but when I look at my heritage the hinges are cast into the frame and door. The only removable part is the hinge pin and the hinge pin does not engage the lower part of the hinge much at all. Are you suggesting to stuff washers between the two hinge halves so that the door doesn't set all the way down onto the hinge?

Yep. Between the cast hinge blocks & around the hinge pins.
I don't know if HD or Lowe's will ahve what you need.
Maybe a REAL hardware store or a fastener distributor.
The I.D. has to fit the over pin & still be thin enough to fit between the pin
& the door the pin & the door frame.
If you can get something that'll fit over the pin, you can always grind
the O.D. to meet the clearance...

Replace the hinge pins. Their a wear item. Don't shim the hinge. Otherwise the right side of the door will be too high while the left side lines up. There should be one brass washer in the middle of each hinge to prevent the cast iron from wearing.

JonOfSunderland said:
Replace the hinge pins. Their a wear item. Don't shim the hinge. Otherwise the right side of the door will be too high while the left side lines up. There should be one brass washer in the middle of each hinge to prevent the cast iron from wearing.

His hinge shims (washers) may be missing.
The new ones aren't brass, but a mild steel.
Some units have more than one shim so the
door aligns with the latch mechanism.
The OP doesn't indicate how old his Mansfield is,
but I doubt the hinge pins have worn to the point
of allowing the door to sag.

His hinge shims (washers) may be missing.
The new ones aren't brass, but a mild steel.
Some units have more than one shim so the
door aligns with the latch mechanism.
The OP doesn't indicate how old his Mansfield is,
but I doubt the hinge pins have worn to the point
of allowing the door to sag.[/quote]

It's new. Like that from the start. My bad for not addressing the issue at time of purchase. There are 3 washers on it now. 2 on the top hinge and one on the bottom. I don't see how these would help at all because the right side seems fine. It is as if the door is not level and is running down hill on right to left. Maybe if I take the shims out.... That would allow the pins to fully seat.... I'll try it the next time my stove is cool. When that will be who knows. Thanks to all - Chris

For what it's worth, my door does the same thing. I just lift the left side slightly when I close it. Seals fine, just a poor design.

JonOfSunderland said:
For what it's worth, my door does the same thing. I just lift the left side slightly when I close it. Seals fine, just a poor design.

Yeah.... It's just annoying!

You will not be able to level a saggy door by adding or removing any of these washers. You can only raise the whole door by adding these washers to prevent the door from setting all the way into the hinges. You need only shim one or the other hinge since the door will not be able to set all the way down if either hige pin is blocked up with washers.

If your door is truly sagging then this method will not solve the sag. What it will do is line up the latch on the latch side and cause the hinge side to be too high. I imagine there is more tolerance for this slop on the hinge side.

The problem is either worn pins, mis drilled hinge pin holes, or a warped casting. The very fact that you can lift the sag out of the door tells me that you have slop in one of the hinge pins. That slop needs to be removed. Hopefully the hinges aren't drilled or worn too big

Have you ever had a saggy door on a car? The door hinges have replaceable pins and bushings. Our stoves only have replaceable pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.