I need some chaps...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VAfarmer38

Aug 31, 2015
Central VA
Any advice on some decent chaps for the money for a non professional like myself?

Yeah I've come to the point where I feel like I should have been using the for a while now. I'll check those out. Thanks for the heads up.

If cutting daily, or for for prolonged periods, in brushy conditions and in cold weather you might want to consider chain saw pants. They're not as bulky and less apt to snag.
Find a pair that are comfortable for you, and if chaps are easy to adjust, put on and take off . . .
and get in the habit of wearing them whenever using a saw.

I like black leather... Like the village people!

Oh, chainsaw chaps... Husky makes mine.

I've got a pair of husquvarna that I really like, and inexpensive. Found them on amazon. I'm sure stihl makes some good ones too but may be a bit pricey, then again safety has no price tag.
I use the same ones. I also bought mine on Amazon.

If cutting daily, or for for prolonged periods, in brushy conditions and in cold weather you might want to consider chain saw pants. They're not as bulky and less apt to snag.
Find a pair that are comfortable for you, and if chaps are easy to adjust, put on and take off . . .
and get in the habit of wearing them whenever using a saw.
My brother has the pants. He also says they are comfy. I know he paid a lot for them.

I have a pair of SwedePro chaps - easy to adjust and snap on/ off. The label says they were made by Gransfors Bruks.
Some chaps are wrap-around at the bottom for a bit more protection.

Huskies here too. I like em'. Don't know if they work yet.

Reactions: Seanm
Huskies at TSC

I've been wearing Labonville full-wrap chaps. Made in USA and solidly build for a fair price.

Like mine a lot as well. My only gripe is that I followed their instructions when measuring for size, and should have gone one size larger. After I already rounded up. They're just a bit short.

I bought Husqvarna chaps for half price when TSC dumped their Husky stuff. I ended up giving them to my BIL, still unopened. I have tried them on, and they were a good fit. I'm 6' and around 240, and he's shorter and probably fifty pounds lighter, and they definitely are one size fits all.

I'd buy either one again, but hope I never have to.

Reactions: TreePointer
My Husqvarnas are crap compared to my Forresters. The Husky's are in the breezeway in case I want to to grab them and just whack the ends off of stuff at the splitter anymore. Felling and bucking it is the green guys.

Been sewed up in the ER. Don't wanna do it again.

I also like my Husqvarna chaps (bought from Amazon), along with Superior LumberWorks chainsaw gloves.

Stay safe!

Any chap is better than none. Just get into the habit of putting them on every time. I had to cut a large limb from a maple that blew down at my mom's house during a storm. It would only take s few minutes, no big deal, so I grabbed the saw and got started. I got tangled up in a vine and the bar whipped back. I felt the chain tug at my pant leg. Looked and saw that I had cuts across my left thigh. Shut the saw and waited for blood to soak through. It didn't. I dropped my pants right there to get a look at my leg. The chain never touched the skin. I can't explain how I cut 5 stripes across the pant leg and never hit flesh, but, that was my warning shot. Take the few seconds to put the chaps on. They do no good in the truck.

One trick with chaps is buy a pair of suspenders for them. Otherwise they tend to sink down around your ankles restricting your movement when sawing.

Labonvilles are made a few miles from my house. There was a large pulp mill in the area that had their own logging crews as well as contractors. The crews were some of the first pros who wore them and they gave feedback to Labonvilles so they were built right. The old logging camp had a display of chaps with big rips in them. Every rip was portably one person who walked home instead of in the hospital.

As mentioned they run short so please read the instructions for sizing them. There is also some discussion on the proper length, some people like them long so the cover the front of the boot while others like them shorter up around the ankles.

Last edited:
FWIW, this is my sizing experience with Labonville chaps:

I'm 6' tall and wear 32" inseam jeans. Using Labonville's measuring instructions, I measured 39" from my belt to the top of my instep/foot. The 40" long full-wrap chaps fit perfectly.

I have a pair of SwedePro chaps - easy to adjust and snap on/ off. The label says they were made by Gransfors Bruks.
Some chaps are wrap-around at the bottom for a bit more protection.

X2 for the swede pro. Had them for years - love them.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.